Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

The new DA* Zoom this year?

As we have all seen in the Pentax roadmap, there is a new DA* Zoom lens planned, which will probably fit perfect to the K-3. Because I´m actually an Nikon owner, but want to buy the K3 it´s pretty important to know if this lens will be announced in the next half year. It would be bad if I buy the K3 with 16-50 and 50-135 with SDM issues and then a new much better lens gets released.
So I hope there are any informations known yet

Sorry for my bad english, i´m no native speaker

10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing is known whatsoever AFAIK. We'll just have to wait it out!

BTW, the DA* zoom seems to have been downgraded to DA on the latest roadmap.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry for my bad english, i´m no native speaker [/quote]
QuoteOriginally posted by hZti Quote
Sorry for my bad english, i´m no native speaker
as at least 30% of us...

You cannot go wrong with FA Limiteds - its the best Pentax ever had and has.....
10-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
gri

What about Limited zoom

10-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
You cannot go wrong with FA Limiteds - its the best Pentax ever had and has.....
I just looked on ebay Germany an the have only a few overpriced lenses from the FA Limited series .

And there are no informations about the new standard zoom?
10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nothing is known whatsoever AFAIK. We'll just have to wait it out!

BTW, the DA* zoom seems to have been downgraded to DA on the latest roadmap.
I don't think we can say for sure that it is a downgrade. They may introduce a different naming convention with HD coating and new AF motors - I'm sure they are aware of the not so stellar reputation of the DA* lenses because of the SDM trouble.
10-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given recent pricing, I'd expect this zoom to be priced somewhere between 25 to 40 thousand dollars/Euros. A year from now they will claim to change the coating and up the price by an additional five thousand dollars. (Sarcasm).

10-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I don't think we can say for sure that it is a downgrade. They may introduce a different naming convention with HD coating and new AF motors - I'm sure they are aware of the not so stellar reputation of the DA* lenses because of the SDM trouble.
I'm not sure that I would rate DA* as superior to DA Limited in general. The DA* lenses have SDM and weather sealing, and are often quite fast. The DA Limiteds are slow and use screw focus, but are very compact and are beautifully made. Depends what you want. Maybe the change in category for the new zoom simply reflects how the development has progressed, with it now planned to be a Limited sort of lens rather than a star sort. I wouldn't object.
10-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm not sure that I would rate DA* as superior to DA Limited in general. The DA* lenses have SDM and weather sealing, and are often quite fast. The DA Limiteds are slow and use screw focus, but are very compact and are beautifully made. Depends what you want. Maybe the change in category for the new zoom simply reflects how the development has progressed, with it now planned to be a Limited sort of lens rather than a star sort. I wouldn't object.
The original comment about the possible downgrade indicated a change from DA* to DA, not to DA Limited.
10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
The original comment about the possible downgrade indicated a change from DA* to DA, not to DA Limited.
It shows DA Limited on the latest roadmap.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
10-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That's a different lens. It's the "DA Zoom" that was previously "DA* Zoom", not "DA Zoom Limited".
10-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There is conjecture that the * will be dropped since the 560mm lens which is obviously of similar build quality was not given that naming. Instead it was the given the AW (all weather) tag to describe its high build quality. Time will tell.
10-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #13

If it is WR or AW, Im in. Seriously, im not happy with 16-50, but I cant find anything (even primes), that can cover 16-50 range and are WR or AW.
10-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Maybe Ricoh is about to make "Limited" what "Luxury" is in Canon land?