Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Plant in Cebu announcement....

In the recent Earthquake in the Philippines located near Cebu, Ricoh-Pentax sent a letter to the people of the Philippines and customers. See attached.

Attached Images

10-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for the update. I hope those affected are able to recover quickly and am glad that our friends at the Pentax/Ricoh plant are doing relatively well.
10-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Thank you for the update. I hope those affected are able to recover quickly and am glad that our friends at the Pentax/Ricoh plant are doing relatively well.
It may be usual or not in these cases but I'm not sure old Pentax or HoyTax would done this.
Anyway it is nice. It clears question as to manufacturing capabilities and it is also, although distant, nice couple words for those who've been injured (or worse) but the earthquake.

+1 I'll say
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It may be usual or not in these cases but I'm not sure old Pentax or HoyTax would done this.
Anyway it is nice. It clears question as to manufacturing capabilities and it is also, although distant, nice couple words for those who've been injured (or worse) but the earthquake.

+1 I'll say
I doubt we would have heard much out of the Hoya boys for sure. Asahi probably, but they were way before the internet age.

10-21-2013, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a result of the Ricoh label I started researching Ricoh in greater depth. The more I learn about Ricoh the more impressed I am. I'm not at all surprised the President of Ricoh Imaging Products would send such a letter to the global and local employees, the people of the area at large and in effect to the world. I believe Pentax would have cared but at the time we wouldn't have seen the letter. Hoya - who knows?

I actually have come to LIKE the brand on the LCD. I'm maybe a little bit surprised by that, but my word - these guys are GOOD!

Ricoh Corporate Culture Statements - they actually care about their employee family and their place and role in the world.

Corporate Social Responsibility

Global Thinking and training

Human Rights

Workplace Safety

Last edited by monochrome; 10-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

+1 I'll say
It is usual to do such things in such circumstances indeed, however, the way different corporations do it varies a lot from one corp to another. Some only issue cold, impersonal press releases while some take the time to communicate in a humane, caring manner, and Ricoh is indeed one of these companies.

The Ricoh Corp. seems to be a very well managed, people-concerned company (well, compared to many others, that is).

I'm not entirely surprise by this, but I'm pleased to see they had the courtesy of informing people about the whereabouts of their employees and the condition of their plant in the aftermath of the earthquake and to reply to those who had the courtesy to ask about this in the first place.

That kind of attitude is what I'm looking for in a responsible corporation today. I'd rather support a corporation that tries its best to be the most ethical, environment-friendly and financially transparent possible than a company that focuses only on its quarterly and financial year results. Ricoh seems to belong to the first kind, and it's good to see the Pentax name is now in such good hands. That's called responsible capitalism, and people will be looking for that more and more in the future (just look back at the 2008 toxic mortgage nightmare in the U.S. if you want to see some irresponsible capitalism at work).

If Ricoh / Pentax product buyers manifest their enthusiasm about their brand and its ethical conduct, I'm sure the brand would benefit from that, and would gain a lot of new customers just because of its ethical attitude (not that the other photo brands aren't ethical, but Ricoh seems to be on top of its game at that, at least from what I could see so far — and I've been following Ricoh closely since they bought Pentax).

So spread the word about Ricoh if you think they deserve the praise.