Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
So they released something which suits their local market globally? It's not what I would call doing their homework unfortunately.
The look of this limited edition will remain a matter of taste I guess.
Remember that last year, approximately 90% of all Pentax/Ricoh cameras were sold in Japan. I know that this announcement is probably not going to gain too much attention worldwide, but in Japan I'm sure this camera will sell out quickly.

It would be nice if Pentax/Ricoh could make something that has a strong appeal outside of Japan, but I'm sure it's in the pipeline!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax? This is a Ricoh camera... ..well, even a Pentax camera is a Rocoh camera these days, so, GET IT RIGHT WILL YOU?
I think I cross-posted from a parallel universe... where Pentax owned Ricoh the time I made that reply lol
10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I like it.

If I was in the market for a GR, I'd definitely get this one. Looks classy. Much better than the standard GR, which isn't a bad design, but it's just too industrial for me.
10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Remember that last year, approximately 90% of all Pentax/Ricoh cameras were sold in Japan....
Wow, I didn't realize that 90% of Ricoh's market is the home market. Now I can see why they can well afford to have models like the Q Evangelion edition which presumably would have not had much context outside Japan, relatively speaking.

With only 10% of sales to the whole rest of the world, this means there is basically nothing for Ricoh to lose in the international market, but a whole lot to gain! The recent marketing efforts just in the US are encouraging.

This kit comes with a color-matched hood, plus custom strap and pouch, for just $100 over the standard scheme. If I were about to spring for a GR, this kit would seem like a pretty easy choice, provided you do not totally hate the color. Remember the price of the Marc Newson K-01 case? That thing is still going for $219 (on sale) at B&H.

10-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm surprised they're not doing both a Hentai and Zentai version.
10-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I'm surprised they're not doing both a Hentai and Zentai version.
You'd use bigger stuff for that, no?
10-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Can't say I'm keen. Hideous green Hammerite™ finish and some black stuff that doesn't even look like wood. of course I'll probably get patronised by the Superior Crowd claiming I haven't read the latest pretentious textbook on modern design
I seem to recall it was Hammertone here – popular during the sixties in silver on motorcar exhausts, and gold on wheels. Can't say I remember that shade of green though, but fluorescent lime green was more that era. Ebony – reminds me of drafting tee-squares, which put up with a lot of student abuse, so, if the grip is that sort of wood, it should last well, even if plastic might do the job even better.

Anyway, didn't we move from modern to post-modern design? Or are we still in the de-constructionist era?

10-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Personally, I think that until one actually sees one, it's difficult to decide whether or not the finish is to one's taste. The photo version looks pretty good to my eyes, but it's probably better in the flesh, so to speak. Some people seem willing to knock anything out of the ordinary before they've even seen it for real (I'm thinking of the silver and black K-3 here).
10-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #24
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Personally, I think that until one actually sees one, it's difficult to decide whether or not the finish is to one's taste. The photo version looks pretty good to my eyes, but it's probably better in the flesh, so to speak. Some people seem willing to knock anything out of the ordinary before they've even seen it for real (I'm thinking of the silver and black K-3 here).
Some people seem willing to knock anything out of the ordinary even after they've seen it - they don't like anything to be "different". Different mentalities...
10-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Some people seem willing to knock anything out of the ordinary even after they've seen it - they don't like anything to be "different". Different mentalities...
It's a strange quirk of human behavior. People really enjoy feeling resentful at anything that doesn't conform to their convention -- some more than others. Religion and politics I can somewhat understand, but trivial stuff like cameras and beer preference is totally lost on me.
10-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Religion and politics I can somewhat understand, but trivial stuff like cameras and beer preference is totally lost on me.
Cameras are not a matter of life and death - they're much more important than that! (with acknowledgments to Bill Shankly)
10-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Yes, and I was thinking of the K-01, in any of the colors. Quite well appreciated by those who have actually handled one.