Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Special Edition Ricoh GR announced

Just got an email about this. Green body w/ woodgrain grip, special leather case+ strap, adapter + hood. $899.95, limited quantities. More info when I'm on a real computer. :P

10-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DPR story: Ricoh announces limited edition GR with wood grip and extra accessories: Digital Photography Review
10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got some more pics here:
Limited Edition Ricoh GR Announced - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

I wouldn't call it beautiful...but it doesn't look bad at all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not immediately smitten by the color either, but it doesn't look bad, and in any case it is a good thing they are using a subtle color scheme for this, being a higher-end camera. Not like pink or lime green. Yet.

10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Black with a red wooden grip like this:
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmmm..this is actually very beautiful.
This is a VERY Japanese vintage color combination!
Wow.
I am very impressed on this.
These colors and treatments are incredible if people do the research on what was coming out of Japan in the 1940-1950s.
Awesome job Ricoh!!!
Well done!!!
True vintage treatment, and not a hipster's version of what they think vintage is.

Here is a Bicky Monocular as an example of the 1940-1950's Japanese aesthetic

The crinkle or sparkle treatment was VERY common in Japanese optics in the 40-50's

The GR above definitely plays homage to that time.

Very nice!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 10-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
10-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I like this quite a lot. And it's quite a bargain considering the small $100 upcharge and the extras you get.

10-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the way Pentax is doing it right where Hassy prolly got it wrong. The subtle green marble-ish look certainly gives it an upscale appeal without looking too flashy.
10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Can't say I'm keen. Hideous green Hammerite™ finish and some black stuff that doesn't even look like wood. of course I'll probably get patronised by the Superior Crowd claiming I haven't read the latest pretentious textbook on modern design
10-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't like this one!
10-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, nothing like a camera covered in Formica for that retro kitchen look...
10-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you've ever been to Japan (which I have) that is a very popular aesthetic, and is not lost on the Japanese retro collector. We in the USA and other places, may not understand it or can remember it, but it shows me that Ricoh - dare I say it - might be doing their homework recently.
It's hard for me to say nice things about Ricoh, but I have to give them this one.
10-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I like the way Pentax is doing it right where Hassy prolly got it wrong. The subtle green marble-ish look certainly gives it an upscale appeal without looking too flashy.
Pentax? This is a Ricoh camera... ..well, even a Pentax camera is a Rocoh camera these days, so, GET IT RIGHT WILL YOU?
10-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would have preferred a hammered finish (no I'm not drunk... ..hammered) although maybe the Ricoh guys were when they designed this finish.

If the lens barrel had the same finish I could have possibly accepted it.. well maybe.
10-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If you've ever been to Japan (which I have) that is a very popular aesthetic, and is not lost on the Japanese retro collector. We in the USA and other places, may not understand it or can remember it, but it shows me that Ricoh - dare I say it - might be doing their homework recently.
It's hard for me to say nice things about Ricoh, but I have to give them this one.
So they released something which suits their local market globally? It's not what I would call doing their homework unfortunately.
The look of this limited edition will remain a matter of taste I guess.