Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #16
Ed in GA

If I'm not mistaken, DPReview was purchased by Amazon.com. You might wish to lodge a complain with them.

03-31-2008, 03:30 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The post and link is gone. Chris I'm so very sorry to hear this has happened to you. I hope the person who posted your work has been banned from that forum. It would be nice if he would own up to his theft so we know who to watch out for. I can't fathom the reason he had for doing what he did.
03-31-2008, 04:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm with Matjazz...

as a moderator, you'd almost think the OP would know this post should be in General Talk or Everything Else.
03-31-2008, 04:40 AM   #19
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
as a moderator, you'd almost think the OP would know this post should be in General Talk or Everything Else.

That's nice, a mans work, and property, just got ripped off and you guys want to bitch about where he posted his vent.

Go figure.

03-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
That's nice, a mans work, and property, just got ripped off and you guys want to bitch about where he posted his vent.

Go figure.
It sucks. I had images from Altea, Spain swiped and used on a British travel mag website. What made it worse was that they purchased the images from a advertiser who claimed they purchased the images from Getty Images. Of course I knew it was all BS as I had not submitted the images to Getty but convincing someone who paid DEARLY for these images that they did not have the right to use them was quite daunting. Ultimately the images were removed and I never got an explanation from the advertiser. Sure, I thought about retribution but, knowing when I took the images and when they were placed online meant that they might have been using the images for two to three weeks at most. It simply wasn't worth the hassle. Though, the whole thing kind of made me feel good. They liked my images so much, they stole them!
03-31-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Chris, glad everything got sorted out - although I came in too late.
03-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #22
Not Registered

I think the original post is lame, lame and re-lame. Me thinks that this is the price you pay when you play the "NDA-look-what-I-want to sell-you"game using pics that doesnt favor the brand you protect. Anyone can use them in the other neighborhood. Did you registered those images? Are they so good that somebody is really taking advantage of them (I mean like selling them or the like)? Are they actually having a benefit from them? Is it something like that or is it that you simply want another pat on your Pentax-hero's shoulder?. Next time, make sure that the images you post with the product you want to sell are better than the others and this wont happen again. And please, being a moderator you should learn to post moderated comments and do it in the right place. Lame, lame and re-lame.

Besides that, the other guy posting in Dpreview should visit the psychiatrist too.
03-31-2008, 07:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

register???

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Did you registered those images?
By definition the rights of anything created are with the actual creator, as was more or less aknowledged by the company which used them and removed them.
Only exception being if one takes them while employed by someone who ordered the "anything" to be made in which case the rights normally go to the employer (like with patents).

An invention, yeah you should register that asap as someone might get the same idea or even steal your ideas. Which pictures it is not much of a hassle, as long as you can prove that you took them. I once asked a lawyer and in general something like keeping the orginal files in the original size (and only post heavily resized), preferably RAW, gives you a good chance, even if the wrong party has officially registered and cannot come up with the original. You are scrwed if your hard disk with all images inclusing RAW are stolen.

03-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #24

Mr Gruoso you are offensive. Chris is a very respected supporter of this forum and I should think he has earned the right to be offended and to vent it here.
03-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

sick sad world
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #26
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Nels Quote
Mr Gruoso you are offensive. Chris is a very respected supporter of this forum and I should think he has earned the right to be offended and to vent it here.
I said exactly what I wanted to say. Should I have the right to do it? That is something that maybe the respected moderator should decide. Whether or not Chris or any of the NDA wizards has won some respect should be decided by each one.

@Janemman

I am sure that you understand the point of my post.
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #27
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
sick sad world
Sick indeed
03-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry you had to go through that, Chris. I'm glad your images were pulled from DPR.

Ted
03-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I think the original post is lame, lame and re-lame. Me thinks that this is the price you pay when you play the "NDA-look-what-I-want to sell-you"game using pics that doesnt favor the brand you protect. Anyone can use them in the other neighborhood. Did you registered those images? Are they so good that somebody is really taking advantage of them (I mean like selling them or the like)? Are they actually having a benefit from them? Is it something like that or is it that you simply want another pat on your Pentax-hero's shoulder?. Next time, make sure that the images you post with the product you want to sell are better than the others and this wont happen again. And please, being a moderator you should learn to post moderated comments and do it in the right place. Lame, lame and re-lame.

Besides that, the other guy posting in Dpreview should visit the psychiatrist too.

Gruoso... Image theft is image theft! Chris is perfectly justified in complaining and I was happy to see that the DPR thread was gone by the time I saw this thread. Doesn't matter if they were "good enough to steal" or not. If someone steals your dog is it any less a crime if it is a mutt than if it was a purebred? Nope!

Also... Photographs do not have to be "registered" with the Copyright Office in order to be protected by copyright. In the US images, paintings, poems, songs, etc are protected by copyright "at time of creation". All registration gets you is a few dollars poorer but with extra proof if you have to sue someone for infringement.

BTW, I don't understand why it torks you and Tom Lusk and Matjazz off so much that he posted here in what you consider to be the wrong place? It's not like he committed a felony or anything. Jeez... Perhaps he just picked the wrong forum in the midst of his anger. Perhaps he considered this to be the right place. Who knows... Anyway, if its truly the wrong forum, and Alan agrees, he will probably move it.

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-31-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: proper attribution
03-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Mike and the others. Gruoso, chilllll out!! Holy cow! Chris has every right to make the comments he did and no one has the right to steal his work. I'm glad the thread was canceled on DPR.

IMHO this is one of the right places to post this. It's a strong reminder to all of us to watermark our images even when posted here or anywhere else.