Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fair use is a slippery slope and incredibly difficult to pin down. That's what we have the courts for

Now I didn't see the thread on dpreview, but one could argue that it was "educational" and hence his use of your images were covered by fair use...especially if he receives no financial gain from their use. I'm not saying I agree with that, but it is a possible interpretation.

I have been at the edges of this battle for years, as an academic who ended up being a technology evangelist as well (although some days I feel more luddite). If you want to really get into the muck, start thinking about fair use for time-based media (ie video). My guidelines to my students were very clear - when you use any image that is not yours, you should include credits for the image. Forums are pretty informal beasts though, so it gets muddy and lax quickly. If one "steals" the image (from a server standpoint, ie imbeds the original image url in the post) then there is some degree of inherent "credit" - someone can look at the link to see the original source.

If one downloads the image then hosts it elsewhere, then they have removed the lineage and really should credit the original creator. BUT, the reality is that most people will post in a forum with no expectation of financial gain or receiving credit for an image. Photo forums are a little different because people often do "publish" their own work, and the assumption is that a photo in a thread was created by the author unless the context indicates otherwise.

In a perfect world the person would have credited your work in his post. We do not live in a perfect world. That is why for some of my images I watermark them. For other ones I don't...I feel somewhat pretentious doing it in certain venues and circumstances, but it is about the only recourse one has to try and maintain their IP with photos.

If people want to steal, they will. No matter what the technology is. All I can hope is that dharma is a b*tch...

03-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I just emailed Canon Europe and sent them everything so hopefully if he doesn't pull I'll get Canon to remove my stuff from their server.
Did Canon Europe really have something to do with this ? I never got to see the thread, fortunately it got removed.

I thought it was great that you took the time, and went through the trouble to help us with big files. It would have been so easy for others, to simply throw a link to this place. Weird how some behave.

Gruoso and others :
Chris has his style, and that is that. If you don’t like it, don’t read his posts. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes not. But I thought he invested a lot of time in testing the various models, so have little respect that others would copy it without agreement. (Actually as I remember it, we came to the conclusion that some of the other brands were better in some situations. Not that I think it matters all that much, they’re all pretty good). Gruoso, I think you’re wrong on this one, but you have the right to your opinion. Maybe in a day or so, you’ll see it from our side too.
Take care y'all
03-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
Forum Member

Codiac2600.

Try this.

Dynamic Drive DHTML Scripts- Disable right mouse click script
03-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #49

[QUOTE=Jonson PL;209007]Did Canon Europe really have something to do with this ? I never got to see the thread, fortunately it got removed.

/QUOTE]

The images are still on Canon's server:

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/ph/AIG/wmIhcZd3po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLyEorEJmg.jpg

Bob

03-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxamillion Quote
Sorry, but that is just dumb... and annoying. You can disable JavaScript in an instant in any modern browser. Or you can view the HTML source and download the image independently. Whenever I come across a site that disables right-clicks, it makes me not want to go back, since it prevents Mouse Gestures from working properly in Firefox. (Likewise, embedding images in Flash players is annoying and ineffective. Makes them slow to load, less compatible cross-platform and cross-browser, and you can still easily copy them using a screen grabber.)

Any such technical measures that preserve a full-resolution, unaltered image, but make it harder to access, are merely irritants. Trivial to bypass. If you can display it on your screen, you can make a perfect copy.

Watermarking and only posting resized versions are obviously harder to get around, since they actually remove information from the original full-resolution version... which can't be recovered.

In any case, people should respect your copyrights on your images because it's the right thing to do, and not just because you do or don't use other measures to secure them.
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

If one downloads the image then hosts it elsewhere, then they have removed the lineage and really should credit the original creator. BUT, the reality is that most people will post in a forum with no expectation of financial gain or receiving credit for an image. Photo forums are a little different because people often do "publish" their own work, and the assumption is that a photo in a thread was created by the author unless the context indicates otherwise.
But Canon Europe is hardly a forum, no?
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
Inactive Account

I had a post removed on Dp Review without warning. My topic was gas prices and I showed a pic of a gas sign and it's current price. Quality wise, it sucked but wasn't suppose to be prize winner, just an oppurtunity for everyone to get their cameras out and show us how it cost where you live. Most people loved the thread however some thought I was making a political statement "LOL" it became a flame war and the topic was killed and I was banned for five days, without warning or reason. I'm reinstated but with a major grudge.

Barry

03-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
But Canon Europe is hardly a forum, no?
True. And if they are using them in a commercial fashion (which if they are showing them under almost any context they are), it is actionable, at least under US copyright law.

Usual disclaimer. No warranties expressed or implied. I am not an attorney and my advice is worth what you paid for it. My ex is an IP attorney though, and I've gone 'round and 'round this issue for work.

Did I mention the disclaimer?
03-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Chris, I am sorry to find this news. By the time I got onto the forum, the link is gone.

After reading all these posts, I want to say that your good intention to share and contribute to the friendly pentaxforums is greatly appreciated. At least from my part. Seriously, I would not have gone to the extent to evaluate the gear and present your very work to the forums. That is just taking a lot of time.

Speaking of stolen images, it is a common place. I had mine in Italian Pentax sites and a few asian countries. Of course, there were positive and negative spin on my images. But when the images get posted on the internet, there is hardly any security...

It is definitely a terrible feeling when your work is stolen with a negative twist on your images. That is just so low for any human being to do. Think on the positive side (if you could excuse me), these canon people are so arrogant that they would not even bother to "look" into other camera owners. So it was kind of a lot of work to actually get your images posted. To me, it is quite a surprising act that they would even bother to do this.
Still, this does not make what they did right.

James
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #55
Veteran Member

As for the issues with registering your work, I always figured that by doing that you had (nearly) iron-clad proof they were your images. In this day and age of digital wizardry, anything sent over the net can be downloaded, even videos off of youtube in their original format (no, I won't tell you how).
03-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #56
Inactive Account

that's why all of my photos r in flash anywhere i publish them. smugmug it's an invitation to thieves. Makes so easy to anyone to use your pics

vic jr.
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM   #57

/QUOTE]

The images are still on Canon's server:

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/ph/AIG/wmIhcZd3po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLyEorEJmg.jpg

Bob[/QUOTE]

It appears that the images have been removed from Canon-Europe.

Bob
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
that's why all of my photos r in flash anywhere i publish them. smugmug it's an invitation to thieves. Makes so easy to anyone to use your pics

vic jr.
cmd-shift-4 on a mac and I can crop a screenshot to anything that is displayed. Flash doesn't protect anything...
04-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
cmd-shift-4 on a mac and I can crop a screenshot to anything that is displayed. Flash doesn't protect anything...
Indeed. But Flash *does* annoy the crap out of everyone running Linux, using an older browser, or who prefers standard HTML controls.
04-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
J.C. Lighten up. Including you, everyone has an opinion but there's no need to continue the attack you somehow seem so justified in pushing.
What have I to do with this????

JC