Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The fact they've divorced their name (Ricoh) from Pentax, have *only* released a new camera and *merely* window dressed the rest, thus far, may be a sign they are about to sell Pentax off one more time.
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I think that is a little hyper
I did not say that this was the current situation at all, I was, however, intimating that it was the minimum required to satisfy buyers that there was something left of Pentax worth purchasing. There was nothing "hyper" about my statement at all.

Ricoh may have gleaned enough from the relationship with "Pentax" to go it alone from here on (with their *future* mirrorless product lines) and still make a $50,000,000 profit from a Pentax sale.

Looking at the possibilities is interesting whether you like them or not.

10-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not say that this was the current situation at all, I was, however, intimating that it was the minimum required to satisfy buyers that there was something left of Pentax worth purchasing. There was nothing "hyper" about my statement at all.

Ricoh may have gleaned enough from the relationship with "Pentax" to go it alone from here on (with their *future* mirrorless product lines) and still make a $50,000,000 profit from a Pentax sale.

I am sorry if I plucked on some tender strings. Of course the possibilities are interesting but, being only possibilities, they are open to debate. None of this matters which is the most important thing to keep in mind. Not a single person will be unable to continue with their photography whether Pentax stays or Pentax goes. But I think it's highly unlikely Pentax is about to go. Who would ever want to buy it now, for a start? Hoya kept the medical division and Ricoh would surely keep the patents and IP. There's nothing left after that beyond bits and pieces (and loss of face).

Last edited by mecrox; 10-25-2013 at 04:45 AM.
10-25-2013, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fact they've divorced their name (Ricoh) from Pentax, have *only* released a new camera and *merely* window dressed the rest, thus far, may be a sign they are about to sell Pentax off one more time.
You are joking, right? Ricoh has fully integrated Pentax into its business plan.
10-25-2013, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

You know, Ricoh just put their name below the K-3's rear screen (where pre-release versions carried the name "Pentax") so I'm quite sure that Ricoh won't sell Pentax right now. Otherwise that far from subtle change does not make sense at all.

10-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I certainly hope Ricoh sticks with Pentax as they know what they're doing much more than Pentax itself does. For one, the ads and marketing effort back in the Pentax days was REALLY weak; dont even compare them to the amazing Pentax-Ricoh ads we're seeing these days.

You know if I think about it, the "one million lenses" ad from the K10D generation was basically saying "go buy used lenses"! Where would their profit go then?

It's like in professional photography, the business smarts is just as important as the making the images (in this case, photography equipment making)
10-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Asahiflex mentioned this last month. There was a fairly complete post about the A-mount (including the A-K-Q naming convention) on a credible French Pentax blog. Of course that rumor claimed the K3 would be A-mount.
I started that thread over on DPR's Ricoh forum based on this, so to see this thread back here now about my thread over there really is a rumour circle!

Anyway, I posted it in the Ricoh forum because of the question-mark hanging over the GXR and whether this supposed Pentax LX-D is the possible successor. Apparently though it could turn out to indeed have been Ricoh's next actual model in the works to succeed the GXR, but it got canceled as a result of the Pentax buyout/merger, so the irony is I could be speculating about something that was actually real but now isn't any more…

It just goes to show how both Ricoh and Pentax camps have been hanging since the acquisition to learn the future overall direction of their cameras. On the Ricoh side, whither the full frame or mirrorless/system GXR-successor, on the Pentax side whither the full frame DSLR… The K-3 and the GR this year are just more of the same in terms of each brand still doing their own separate thing, i.e. they both still have their own unique Pentax and Ricoh firmwares, so it's giving us no indication at all so far and we're all still none the wiser.
10-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
The K-3 and the GR this year are just more of the same in terms of each brand still doing their own separate thing, i.e. they both still have their own unique Pentax and Ricoh firmwares, so it's giving us no indication at all so far and we're all still none the wiser.
There's been some gene splicing, though, hasn't there? Tav mode on the GR comes to my mind - is there anything ricoh-ish in the K-3?

10-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
There's been some gene splicing, though, hasn't there? Tav mode on the GR comes to my mind - is there anything ricoh-ish in the K-3?
Apart from the cosmetic Ricoh name under the LCD, I can't actually see a single thing.

Which surprises me as there are some good unique features about Ricoh cameras that I'm sure would have been prime candidates to make an appearance, but there's nothing. I suppose the observations made about the Pentax team trying to maintain control or autonomy after the acquisition may actually be true, but fighting off adding good features just for the sake of bone-headed pride or corporate power-plays seems detrimental to me.
10-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Apart from the cosmetic Ricoh name under the LCD, I can't actually see a single thing.

Which surprises me as there are some good unique features about Ricoh cameras that I'm sure would have been prime candidates to make an appearance, but there's nothing. I suppose the observations made about the Pentax team trying to maintain control or autonomy after the acquisition may actually be true, but fighting off adding good features just for the sake of bone-headed pride or corporate power-plays seems detrimental to me.
No other Pentax camera has the variable WB feature does it? But this has been on previous Ricoh cameras. So that's one thing.
10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I think that is a little hyper.
You are way too kind, but I'm not: that's pure BS.
Discussing possibilities is one thing, but even making up FUD on our own - we should be better than that. That's the job for Canikony shills, not for Pentaxians!

Fact: Ricoh is very interested in the camera business (even though factory automation and security products are more important). Pentax was the way to make the camera division - currently Ricoh Imaging - profitable and growing.
Ricoh themselves stated repeatedly their commitment to Ricoh Imaging/Pentax, and there's absolutely nothing to indicate that the most ethical company was lying. Ricoh said: "we will continue to pour resources into Digital SLRs" - that's a commitment made to their investors, not empty words.
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #56
Pentaxian

You know, MAYBE Ricoh bought Pentax because the CEO of Ricoh's family dog died after chewing on a Spotmatic in 1967.

Now, at long last, he will have his revenge. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's possible!
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I strongly object to such a mundane theory. Please add aliens for extra credibility and then we'll talk
10-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
You know, MAYBE Ricoh bought Pentax because the CEO of Ricoh's family dog died after chewing on a Spotmatic in 1967.

Now, at long last, he will have his revenge. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's possible!
Photographic Equipment
K20D + SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Photographic Equipment
K20D + SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4
Yeah, maybe I should update that profile. Nah.
10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #60
Banned

And it wasn't the other way round? So far we have seen just one exchange: MWB and TaV. It's fifty:fifty. That proves nothing.

But would fans tolerate happening otherwise? How much moaning there would be in Rich camp is camera took more Pentax kind of controls, and other way round which Pentax users think they are superior? To me they are: the GR is way too complicated. But you don't think so, right? So you see, they would alienate both users, who'd in protest buy other brands.

But that is all immaterial. No one has a clue as to where those two brands are going, and no one is able to see anything farther than K-3, GR and rehashes of other things. All other players are currently nuking the market with new announcements, 5-year plans, bold moves, even spreading rumours themselves ..