Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Um, I'm pretty sure this was born out of the "DIY" FF "rumor", which is 99% certain to be a bad joke, mixed with the "A-mount" speculation and the "Where is the LX-D?" posts in response to the rumored "Retro Nikon".

Started on some random blog, reposted here, re-reposted on DPR mixed with random speculation from various threads, re-re-reposted here again. Reminds me of the viral nature of April Fool's 2012, with people randomly mixing all sorts of bad circular rumors, coming up with new stories every time.

10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

No, it's from an older rumor.
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd be amazed if Ricoh released a FF Pentax in anything other than K mount. Though I've been known to be wrong .
The number of people with some K mount FF glass that could afford just a FF K mount dslr: 10,000+? (let's call it $2,500)
The number of people that could afford a FF K mount dslr AND a whole range of new FF lenses to match: up to 1-2500? (let's call it $7,500)
10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I'd be amazed if Ricoh released a FF Pentax in anything other than K mount. Though I've been known to be wrong .
The number of people with some K mount FF glass that could afford just a FF K mount dslr: 10,000+? (let's call it $2,500)
The number of people that could afford a FF K mount dslr AND a whole range of new FF lenses to match: up to 1-2500? (let's call it $7,500)
Your numbers look low, but I guess the matching 4:1 in the numbers for only buying a FF K-mount body (I'm one from them) to the newcomers with next to none lens owners is one I can beleave.

The number off people entering a new A-mount (no relation to K-mount or Sony's E-mount) I guess wil be very close to zero.

10-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could afford to buy one new FF lens at a time. For a long time. Of course I'd need to sell off all the other stop-gap toys in my kit except the MZ-S.

Oh, and the LX.

And the KX. And the K-01. And the Q's.

Oh, h e double hockey sticks.
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think Pentax has enough mounts.. K (SLR, mirrorless), Q (tiny mirrorless), 645, in Japan even 67.. how many mounts does Nikon or Canon or Sony have? Having a lot of mounts is risky.
If an LX-D comes, it should be K mount. But I dont think it will come. Its just a fantasy. The "purest" digital camera, retro quality with modern capabilities, made for stills. Sounds more niche than Leica
10-24-2013, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about k mount with a Ricoh pin!

10-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Hilarious!

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this A mount rumor was true. It would seem to me to offer a lot of flexibility to build a platform that can handle market change. If I can swap in an optical VF for my K-mount glass, I'm golden.
10-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

adapters

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hilarious!

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this A mount rumor was true. It would seem to me to offer a lot of flexibility to build a platform that can handle market change. If I can swap in an optical VF for my K-mount glass, I'm golden.
I hate adapters. Only if A-mount adapters to other mounts handle auto aperture as well as auto focus. Extra moving parts and electrical contacts = expensive. Maybe the pros could afford it and that's fine.

10-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But I dont think it will come. Its just a fantasy. The "purest" digital camera, retro quality with modern capabilities, made for stills. Sounds more niche than Leica
When the FF camera is released it just might be the L-Series or LX-series. Needn't be some retro throwback to use the legacy - just a groundbreaking camera in some way. Interchangeable viewfinders (though technically very challenging) is an obvious distinguishing factor. Breakthrough metering. MILC FF dSLR. Complete system camera from Day 1. Whatever.

There could always be a very expensive, very limited edition, one-time throwback camera ala the Special Edition LX'es or a 10,000 unit production plan camera like the 645D..
10-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #26
Den
Veteran Member

What's the big deal with FF. I have several FF Pentax cameras including one that is 6x7 cm, they're just not digital.
10-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Banned

I presume everyone expects a camera to come in the LX shape. Of course: something that has ever come to being a tool for pros. Which by any measure is already of a legendary status in the Pentax land.
But what if the alleged camera comes in a — surprise, surprise — Pentax SFX shape?
Which is perhaps the ugliest piece of brick Pentax has ever done. Judging by the K-01 design and its possible legacy inspiration, gravity is already pulling strongly towards it
10-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You only need one Pentax lens in that scenario.
10-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I presume everyone expects a camera to come in the LX shape. Of course: something that has ever come to being a tool for pros. Which by any measure is already of a legendary status in the Pentax land.
But what if the alleged camera comes in a — surprise, surprise — Pentax SFX shape?
Which is perhaps the ugliest piece of brick Pentax has ever done. Judging by the K-01 design and its possible legacy inspiration, gravity is already pulling strongly towards it
Unless it's a tarted-up Sony A7/r (EVIL) it cannot look like a LX and be the size of the original - I can't see any FF DSLR looking remotely like the LX at the correct size.

PS: A Ricoh LXR anyone?
10-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Pentaxian

That's - on one hand - funny, and a good example of the ways 'rumours' spread and are transformed.
Originally someone claimed something like, if a new FF-camera from Pentax came it would not be in the K-series. In this forum, of course (speaking of paranoia and future-angst here someone?), immediately transformed in a rumour about the end of the K-mount!
Now - on the other hand - it shows how 'confirmative' circles are built, as that misinterpretation on another forum is used as a confirmation for another - probably baseless - rumour which falls here on very fertile ground, because it is in line with previous 'rumours'... And on and on... *ggg*