Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Unless it's a tarted-up Sony A7/r (EVIL) it cannot look like a LX and be the size of the original - I can't see any FF DSLR looking remotely like the LX at the correct size.
Mirrorless answer in that shape and very similar size is possible.
But still, I think users are forgetting that there are more important matters Ricoh Imaging must answer before.

How I see it: we have the K-3, and that is the only really new achievement done that proves a notion Ricoh may be working on Pentax range. But true commitment is proven in new lenses. Why are they hiding new lens designs from public and are releasing rehashes of those we already have?

I don't approve of it. More than lack of any other camera than the K-3, to me, lack of new lenses and TC for the K-mount is unnerving, and I refuse to believe that there's isn't anything suspicious about releasing a milestone new camera … accompanied by a rehashed, boring consumer zoom?

I mean, for Goodness sake, wasn't there a reason to celebrate a bit more and raise the expectations at least by one more notch ?!?! I've never seen a more bland announcement, with only an official, impersonal quote sent by email by some representative from the USA. No PR event of any kind, even from some office in Tokyo and broadcast online? They've put a good one for the new GR though.

10-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I'm in the market for a 24MP APS-C camera and a *new* 300mm F4 VR [rumoured=fact remember ] but I'd prefer a K-3 and a DA*300 F4 after selling my AF-S 300 F4 and TC-14E II. A Pentax TC would sway me somewhat along with some confidence in the brand's future. Rehashed DA lenses and a Kit lens aren't cutting it really. And while I'm ranting, where are the HD FA lenses? Are the FA's about to be replaced with a new line more suited to FF with SR? The sample shots I saw from the HD DA 21 were underwhelming and I'd never swap out my Zeiss 21mm f2,8 Distagon for one.
10-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But still, I think users are forgetting that there are more important matters Ricoh Imaging must answer before.

How I see it: we have the K-3, and that is the only really new achievement done that proves a notion Ricoh may be working on Pentax range. But true commitment is proven in new lenses. Why are they hiding new lens designs from public and are releasing rehashes of those we already have?

I don't approve of it. More than lack of any other camera than the K-3, to me, lack of new lenses and TC for the K-mount is unnerving, and I refuse to believe that there's isn't anything suspicious about releasing a milestone new camera … accompanied by a rehashed, boring consumer zoom?

I mean, for Goodness sake, wasn't there a reason to celebrate a bit more and raise the expectations at least by one more notch ?!?! I've never seen a more bland announcement, with only an official, impersonal quote sent by email by some representative from the USA. No PR event of any kind, even from some office in Tokyo and broadcast online? They've put a good one for the new GR though.
It seems the K-3 was released a bit ahead of schedule, I am not sure. It is possible however that they have been putting resources into a full frame camera and ofcourse the lenses that go along with it and this is the reason for no significant other releases. Then again you may be right and a new mount is coming, that would not surprise me even a little at this point.
10-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I, personally, would be disappointed if at some point an FF camera had a new mount. That would probably keep me from adopting it. If I wanted an FF with a new mount, I'd get an A7.

10-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote

The fact they've divorced their name (Ricoh) from Pentax, have *only* released a new camera and *merely* window dressed the rest, thus far, may be a sign they are about to sell Pentax off one more time.
10-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Mirrorless is the only way to achieve a body that looks like the cameras in the past. Adding a circuit board and a display to the thickness makes a k-mount camera thick and the K-01 is the proof of that if anyone still has doubts.

I'd love a mirrorless (new mount) FF as long as it don't mean there will be no FF dslr
10-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
Banned

I'm not panicking, because ... well, I'm vastly enjoying photography with all I have. I'm interested more in vision of the brand than any specific camera. And I'm attached to lenses much more.
But I was at least expecting a bit more stir and more excitement, more energy. But they feel as dozed as ever so far.
As Belnan noted, it looked like K-3 was a bit rushed out as well.
I give them all the time till CP+ 2014 to see if they are woken up and ready to open mouth. If not, and if they come to the interview with same stoned faces and present same amount of gibberish as in last three years, write them off.
But somehow, I suspect they are aware of that too. Therefore instead of engineers, I expect no less than Claudia Schiffer with a beautiful smile being their representative; they must look better than ever.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-25-2013 at 01:36 AM.
10-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member

The fact they've divorced their name (Ricoh) from Pentax, have *only* released a new camera and *merely* window dressed the rest, thus far, may be a sign they are about to sell Pentax off one more time.
Sadly, I don't find this all that unrealistic. And yes, EEK! is the right word.
10-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #39
Pentaxian

You only need one Pentax lens in that scenario.
Yeah, a 10-600 mm zoom.
10-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Mirrorless is the only way to achieve a body that looks like the cameras in the past. Adding a circuit board and a display to the thickness makes a k-mount camera thick and the K-01 is the proof of that if anyone still has doubts.
I'm in fact now looking at my Pentax *ist DS and I have no problem with its thickness. Of course, the battery needs some space (and so does the SR, in newer bodies) but the rest of the body pretty much looks like anything I had in the film era.

Last edited by Asahiflex; 10-25-2013 at 02:13 AM.
10-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
It seems the K-3 was released a bit ahead of schedule, I am not sure.
Oh, really? And why do you think so?
10-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Ricoh probably bought Pentax to glean their expertise, knowing that if they relegated them to the dying DSLR format whilst keeping the fun "hi-tech" stuff for themselves, they would eventually usurp the brand's mantle and replace it. Ricoh always wanted to be Pentax after all.

Sorry guys.. I'm even depressing myself now
10-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Oh, really? And why do you think so?
Well I said it was anounced a bit ahead of schedule, the actually release in mid november is happening as scheduled. The time between the anouncment and the release seems rather long, and the original intent may have been to anounce the camera in early November followed by the release. What I mean to imply is that something else could be in the works very soon but wasn't quite able to be anounced yet. If that makes no sense it is because I have been awake for 24 hours.
10-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Well I said it was anounced a bit ahead of schedule, the actually release in mid november is happening as scheduled. .
You are right because that is the information I got too — mid November anouncement for the top tier APS-C.
However, it may be that Ricoh has seen a rumour someone started spreading about the September 5th announcement (that one came in wildly), which turned into a huge disappointment for Pentax users, even videos being made about it and summarising the point that Pentax is a brand of disappointment and Ricoh does who knows what with them.
If they didn't announce a K-3 a few weeks after that and left all the autumn show to other manufacturers to nuke over them, they'd lose a lot of current customers who were dying to see something new. And therefore they hurried up.
Let see how things unveil. I think they know all too well they must come with at least one rather substantial anouncement this year, or they will kiss goodbye many users. K-3 alone won't save them — they must put up a good show and really excite even those who are undecided. (Bossa, you read this, right)

Last edited by Uluru; 10-25-2013 at 03:06 AM.
10-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I think that is a little hyper. Could just as easily be a sign that the camera biz is likely to see a step change in 2014, with short-registration mounts and EVFs becoming the norm rather than the exception on new mainstream products. So there is limited upside in putting all your resources into developing K-mount DSLRs out into the future. Better to keep things moving steadily along, in order to protect your sales, while putting the serious money into your future platform. If so, this could also be because Canon and Nikon have the DSLR market so locked down that it's time for Ricoh to stop banging their head against the wall and concentrate their efforts in a different form factor. But who knows.

Last edited by mecrox; 10-25-2013 at 03:15 AM.