Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
RaduA

ISO 100-6400 images from K20D on Anandtech.com

Hi to all.

Anandtech has a review of Sony A350 and in it has comparison shots at all ISO with K20D and Canon 5D based on the same scenario. Very large files to better judge the noise on these 3 cameras.

Link: AnandTech: Sony A350: Full-Time Live View at 14.2MP

Radu

03-31-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting the link. The A350 has some drawbacks from mypoint of view but it will appeal to a lot of buyers that are looking for their first DSLR.

Ken
03-31-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Thanks for posting the link. The A350 has some drawbacks from mypoint of view but it will appeal to a lot of buyers that are looking for their first DSLR.

Ken
Hi, Ken

Sure, no problem I mean anandtech is my entry page in IE. I also think that A350 is designed to appeal to people more interested in a "larger and more in your eyes camera but esentially a bigger p&s in usage". It screams "novice" from the "14.2 Megapixel" front decal to the butchered VF and accent it puts on LV. But Sony has a the most complete line up of modern dslr's and will probably eat some of the market pie (my guess is from Canon entry levels). They have the same target audience (brand recognition, not that much knowledge and maybe a p&s from the same brand in recent past).

Radu
03-31-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Ken

Sure, no problem I mean anandtech is my entry page in IE. I also think that A350 is designed to appeal to people more interested in a "larger and more in your eyes camera but esentially a bigger p&s in usage". It screams "novice" from the "14.2 Megapixel" front decal to the butchered VF and accent it puts on LV. But Sony has a the most complete line up of modern dslr's and will probably eat some of the market pie (my guess is from Canon entry levels). They have the same target audience (brand recognition, not that much knowledge and maybe a p&s from the same brand in recent past).

Radu
I am amazed that they decided to use F1.4 as the aperture on the Pentax 50mm lens as an indication of the cameras resolution. Frankly thats pretty incompetent and proves very little because its quite soft wide open. Same for the 5D although it will have less effect because the sensor has lower linear resolution.

03-31-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Ken

Radu
how do you define most complete "modern" SLRs ? i'd say canikon are the most "complete"
consumer, "prosumer", and full frame SLRs with a healthy choice of lenses.
03-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
how do you define most complete "modern" SLRs ? i'd say canikon are the most "complete"
consumer, "prosumer", and full frame SLRs with a healthy choice of lenses.
Well,

First of all is said "line up" as in range of models. The English is not my native language maybe I just screwd up the frase. I wanted to say that they have 4 quite new models which cover the low end to semi pro (A200, 300, 350, 700) and the A900 full frame in the making. Compare that with Canon (450D, 40D and nothing in between). Better than Canon is (and I think will become even stronger) Nikon. I don't know about the availability of Canon 450D but the duo 400D and 40D is IMO the least performing from the market in the APS-C world. My bet is that Canon market share will decrease slowly but surely in the years to come. About the lenses yes you are right but I think the lens choice is important for enthusiasts, semi pros and of course pros out there. It is unlikely that someone who can but an over 1000 euro lens cannot aford a 300-400 more euro body to start with. My opinion is that Canon will lose market share at the entry level from Sony, at semi pro level to Nikon and Pentax and at high end from Nikon. But they can make a zillion more p&s don't they?
From now on I will refrain myself to ever again use "canikon" because IMO C and N have little in common except for market share more or less. Nikon is like the BMW of photo business and Canon something like Renault. They make more but by no means better in some ranges (I cannot comment on the pro lines since I haven't seen any). No offence!

Radu
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I am amazed that they decided to use F1.4 as the aperture on the Pentax 50mm lens as an indication of the cameras resolution. Frankly thats pretty incompetent and proves very little because its quite soft wide open. Same for the 5D although it will have less effect because the sensor has lower linear resolution.
I'm not too amazed. It's a CPU and graphics card GPU review site. They don't really know photography.
03-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Anandtech is my go-to tech site for computer stuff. But this review definitely shows that Wesley Fink really needs to refine his method before posting the article. Reading the comment, both of the Pentax and Canon were shot at f/1.4 while the Sony was shot at f/2. Being manually focused, I hope the guy did take bracket focus to pick out the best. However, it's quite unacceptable when he left all these camera on Program mode, and, subsequently, let the camera decided the aperture. Finally, he used shutter realease on the Canon, but not the Pentax.

Being a long time reader over there, I know these guys from Anandtech had been shooting as photojournalists for quite a while. I just don't know what they were thinking when they did this test. This is probably a rushed review.

03-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Finally, he used shutter realease on the Canon, but not the Pentax..
Especially so since the wire canon shutter release works on pentax.
03-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm I read the review from Chasseur d'Images about the a350 and they aren't all that positive about the new features of the caera mainly because:
* the screen isn't good enough for live view.
* live view only covers about 12Mpix from the 14.2 of the main sensor which means you do not get one of the supposedly avantage of live view. You just do not see exactly what you capture in the picture. That's a deal breaker IMO.
* the viewfinder is ridiculously small.

Those are the negative points nd I do not list the good ones so obviously this is no way objective from me. I know it has a good contrast AF among other things.

But in summary, whatever the method you use for framing, you will get crap. Good job, Sony
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #11

I'd give Anandtech a break, they are just starting in on cameras, and are willing to listen. I posted in the comments pointing out that shooting at f1.4 is a mistake as well.

I think Sony has some good ideas with that camera, but the punishment that the viewfinder takes to cater for the live view is ridiculous in my opinion.

Can you imagine trying to use live view with a big heavy telephoto lens, while tracking something moving fast?
04-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
RaduA

Now they updated the photos ...

... using constant f4. The pics from K20D look much better than first attempts.

Radu
04-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Indeed, the A350 is left in the dust pretty much on all accounts IMO.

I still wonder why they didn't try to keep the same framing for detail/noise comparison between the APS-C and the FF cameras?

Either use a longer lens or just step closer.

Not that it really matters but comparisons on approximately equivalent pics between the K20 and the 5D would have been interesting.
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

props to anandtech to being open about their testing philosophy
there are a lot of criticisms but Wesley takes the time to post and respond to comments made to the article and uses it as constructive criticism for future tests