Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #211
Veteran Member

This is exactly what I was referring to. Camera itself is not meant to be held in hands, it needs a bunch of acceeeessories in order to be used. Thumbgripps, special leather half cases, bottom grips.
I see this a lot on FUJI X forum. A very neat and small X-E1 with a bunch of thingies and doo hickies attched to pure thing that made it the size of K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Where there is a will, there is a way...This is the best-handling camera I own...

If I remember correctly, Mr. Zhou used to make a version for the MX.

Steve

11-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #212
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
thing that made it the size of K5.
Pity...Even my Canon P (same size as a Leica M) with case is not the size of a K5.

Steve
11-19-2013, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is exactly what I was referring to. Camera itself is not meant to be held in hands, it needs a bunch of acceeeessories in order to be used. Thumbgripps, special leather half cases, bottom grips.
I see this a lot on FUJI X forum. A very neat and small X-E1 with a bunch of thingies and doo hickies attched to pure thing that made it the size of K5.
I don't know if that's a pro or a con. A matter of interpretation. A smaller camera can be customized to fit any type and build of hands or taste. But a larger camera however... If a certain build of camera has the perfect ergonomics for one person, doesn't mean it automatically has the perfect build for everyone.
11-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #214
Site Supporter

Excuse my ignorance... but in what price range are we expecting a new FF from Pentax to be?

11-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could you make these three into a poster? I want one!

Steve
Just click on any of them and you will be redirected to a larger version.
11-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #216
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Excuse my ignorance... but in what price range are we expecting a new FF from Pentax to be?
I was expecting something around 1500 usd body only
11-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Too low; Pentax does not have already-made components and the economy of scale to undercut the competition's prices.
I would guess a higher end product, around 2500 euro/usd.
11-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #218
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I was expecting something around 1500 usd body only
The beautiful A7 already has an MSRP of only 1700 usd. By the time Pentax finally releases their FF camera, that price will be considerably lower, the available FE lens lineup a lot bigger, the rumored Sony A9 (and A9r?) may even be out, and even less people will be left that are still interested in a Pentax FF. And then you get to put CZ glass in front of that FF sensor. The solution to the Pentax FF problem always involves building a time machine first. It would be perfectly understandable for Pentax to focus on what they're good at, and exploit it to their best efforts: APS-C and 645D. And of those only the latter will be worht expanding market share in, imho.

Last edited by Clavius; 11-19-2013 at 06:31 AM.
11-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #219
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Too low; Pentax does not have already-made components and the economy of scale to undercut the competition's prices.
I bet for the same range.
Noway competing with Sony's last electronic elusive creatures.
Better focus on traditionnal high build quality, with a nice (and costy) OVF, a good rugged/weatherproof body with strong durability as well as acceptable battery capacity.
11-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #220
Pentaxian

I have no doubt it will be higher end than the A7, heavily based on the K-3 (if it will happen next year). Cheapskates should go to Sony already, and forget about Pentax - no soup bargains for you!

Regarding the "a lot bigger" Sony lens lineup, they're promising that by the end of 2015 they would have about the same number of "full frame" lenses as Pentax has today, not counting 3rd-party ones (maybe 2-3 more). But, what will happen if Pentax will launch some "full frame" lenses?
11-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #221
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
D600 price is around 1300-1400 EUR body only
I dont have the feeling I am out of the money saying 1500 EUR is realistic target price. Who would seriously buy a FF at 2500 EUR when some dedicated glass should be considered on top ?
I might be wrong but for the budget you mention ppl could even purchase some second hand MF where pentax has some valid arguments
11-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #222
Pentaxian

D600 was already replaced by D610 (starting from 1640 euro street price), so it doesn't count. The second hand market doesn't count either. We should compare MSRP vs MSRP.
How about $2500 / 2000 euro? (my bad for mixing currencies) This way they'll undercut D800's street prices with the MSRP; IMO expecting them to undercut the D610 is unrealistic (the K-3 is more expensive than the D7100).
I wouldn't mind seeing lower prices, by the way
11-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #223
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The beautiful A7 already has an MSRP of only 1700 usd. By the time Pentax finally releases their FF camera, that price will be considerably lower, the available FE lens lineup a lot bigger, the rumored Sony A9 (and A9r?) may even be out, and even less people will be left that are still interested in a Pentax FF. And then you get to put CZ glass in front of that FF sensor. The solution to the Pentax FF problem always involves building a time machine first. It would be perfectly understandable for Pentax to focus on what they're good at, and exploit it to their best efforts: APS-C and 645D. And of those only the latter will be worht expanding market share in, imho.
None of that Sony stuff is a Pentax.

QED
11-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #224
Marketplace Reseller

I've said it before, a neo-Spotmatic would be a horrible waste of a FF sensor, at least as a flagship. No pro wants to use that form factor all day.

Now a special-edition enthusiast camera (a la the K-01) released a while after the FF flagship (so as not to cheapen the latter's initial cachet) might be a different story.

As another aside - Takumar-style metal lens would not work or at least would feel nowhere the same focus-wise, since AF wouldn't work with the nice greased brass helicals that Takumars have.
11-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #225
Pentaxian

I'm not expecting it to be much more than the k-3. An extra couple hundred for the Sensor, no problem using the electronics from the K-3. Maybe $500 more than the K-3, so $1800 at launch. I'm hoping the go to about 28-30 MP, as great compromise between file size and IQ, and to keep the DR, noise and low light performance better than the D800.