Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Stripped down Df-like cameras are more expensive, not cheaper. The more features you're stripping down, the more you add to the price
Crippled down cameras - i.e. plastic, noisy shutters, lower quality viewfinders etc but still with all the consumer features - would be cheaper indeed, but I don't need such things. The A3000 is a good example of a crippled down camera.

Making 2 cameras instead of one won't decrease the price either.

11-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #242

I think for pentax it is more usefull to make the first FF specced like the K3 for APS-C. It might not need 30MPs upwards but i think to get NEW customers to pentax it has to be a VERY good dslr.
With things like the 5d Mk III and the D800 around it has tobe "kickass", because Pentax has to offer "more bang for the buck" to get people excited and whilling to "experiement" with pentax.
11-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Stripped down Df-like cameras are more expensive, not cheaper. The more features you're stripping down, the more you add to the price
Crippled down cameras - i.e. plastic, noisy shutters, lower quality viewfinders etc but still with all the consumer features - would be cheaper indeed, but I don't need such things. The A3000 is a good example of a crippled down camera.

Making 2 cameras instead of one won't decrease the price either.
True. A first Ricoh/Pentax FF digital camera needs to be equal to or exceed the K-3 in every respect. Otherwise it will be compared to the K-3 and people will think "why bother?"

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
I think for pentax it is more usefull to make the first FF specced like the K3 for APS-C. It might not need 30MPs upwards but i think to get NEW customers to pentax it has to be a VERY good dslr.
With things like the 5d Mk III and the D800 around it has tobe "kickass", because Pentax has to offer "more bang for the buck" to get people excited and whilling to "experiement" with pentax.
Yes - very good. If it is "kickass", I would have the option of selling my house to buy a super camera (plus super extra lenses, I hope). If it is only so-so, I can't then get a super camera to sit alongside my K-3 (and my K-7 which has been converted to IR), even by selling my house!
11-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
True. A first Ricoh/Pentax FF digital camera needs to be equal to or exceed the K-3 in every respect. Otherwise it will be compared to the K-3 and people will think "why bother?"
Equal in specifications (except maybe the frame rate, due to a larger mirror) and clearly better in image quality, and viewfinder. They already have many components (electronics, parts of the body) which could be reused.

I also hope they'll have a proper, "full frame" AF system instead of reusing the APS-C one, clustering AF points in the center of the frame. This is another thing that won't get done by going the cheap route.

And yes, I'm prepared to pay more than what a D610 is worth.

11-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #245

Pentax Full-Frame Coming on 2014 « NEW CAMERA

Seems like the rumor is circulating ...
11-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #246
Pentaxian

One month later ... not really up to electron's speed
11-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MacGreg Quote
<sarcasm>
Great site! They also offer this tidbit:

"Pentax Q will feature a APS-C sensor."
</sarcasm>

11-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #248
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
<sarcasm>
Great site! They also offer this tidbit:

"Pentax Q will feature a APS-C sensor."
</sarcasm>
Hehe indeed but then the GR got that one.
The rumour was right (compact with APS-C sensor).
Name was wrong. That's the nature of rumours...
11-30-2013, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #249
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i really love how rumors creates other rumors that are post elsewhere and that come back later and hence generates other rumors.

The rumored pentax FF is the perpetual machine
11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The rumored pentax FF is the perpetual machine
If Ricoh could harness the rumor mill they could bring out FF camera for almost nothing and make money on the rumors
11-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #251
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No worries... Next fake Pentax FF rumor coming in a month or two.

Last edited by Clavius; 11-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.
11-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Sounds like exactly the rumbling that was happening, just before the K-3 was released. All who nay-say are not necessarily correct, in fact there's a few posting in this thread I'm surprised are back up and running again after being stomped into the ground when the K-3 came out for release right on time with the rumour mill. I guess like baseball pitchers, it's good to have a short memory after giving up a home run. As I said right before the K-3 was released, it's a talent to know which rumours are real and which aren't. Personally I bought into the K-3 2 weeks before it was announced, just based on the number of semi-reliable and plausible sounding rumours, there are some nay sayers here who don't have nearly as good a track record.
11-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know. I hadn't bought full frame stock up till now, but I do think Ricoh is targeting next year for such a release. Can't say when in the year, but I suppose when Ricoh thinks its ready. No real rush from my standpoint. K3 is a nice camera to hold me over till something more comes along.
11-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #254
Veteran Member

From a commercial perspective, it would be a mistake as a new flagship camera will be launched earlier than six months after launching another flagship camera. And more, a year would be the optimal time.

But Pentax is in a special position because Canon, Nikon and Sony already has FF cameras, and if they wants to become a big player on the market, and K-3 seems to say that, Ricoh have to release a FF as soon as possible.

Moreover, rumors are one way to increase market interest, and Ricoh has shown us that knows how to handle these rumors before the launch of K-3. So, as I think these rumors are controlled and released intentionally.
11-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #255
Pentaxian

That wouldn't surprise me at all. If you think o fate two extremes, Steve Jobs dropping hardware manufacturers for upstaging his release, and Windows constantly promising hardware and software they never produced and never had any intention of producing, just to keep people waiting on the imaginary Windows product instead of just buying from a competitor that already had what they wanted, I think Ricoh has found a happy medium. They let you know what they want you to know, when they want you to know it. But do it in a way they can never be accused of creating vapourware, just to keep epode from buying competitors product.