Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #451
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What a coincidence, I wonder the same things.
By the way - and no favors done to Pentax:
Compact Camera Meter
You can go smaller, for example (and that's not the smallest lens):
Compact Camera Meter

With their compact (but not overly small) cameras and compact high quality lenses, you can get a highly portable kit. You can get weather sealing. You can get cold proof. You can take it on the beach, in the rain, or in the fine sands of Afganistan - and it might not fit in your pocket, but it won't break your back while doing so.

It's absolutely clear they were talking about advantages they have today.
It really is a shame there isn't a DA40 Ltd. choice to put on the K3 for your little comparison. It just so happens I got my K3 Tuesday night (a surprise, no less) and my only two DA lenses are the DA40/2.8 Limited that I bought with the K-01 and the DA55~300.
  1. My last dSLR was the K10D, so I am SHOCKED at how tiny the K3 is - I really need to get my head around the MX-like experience. Coming from K-body film cameras and K manual lenses the K3 is almost so small it is uncomfortable for my size 10's.
    1. But it isn't
  2. If I want a true pocket camera I use an XA or a Q/01. Granted, I'm a preppy and at age 58 I still wear baggy khaki's and button down shirts everywhere except in a canoe (even hiking), so I have legitimate pockets to pocket things in.
    1. In June I carried my Q/01 and an extra battery through TSA. In my pocket.
  3. But you're good. Not boriscleto'ed™
    1. Whatever. Nothing new here. Like the Hedge Fund guys were in 2009. Rulers of the Universe.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
12-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #452
Pentaxian

Indeed, I can't put a DA 40mm on that site, but here's a good approximation:
Compact Camera Meter

By the way, I can stuff my K-5IIs, the 60-250 (!!!) and all my Limiteds into my old LowePro Nova 1. It's a tight fit, but there's still room for spare battery and card(s), the O-GPS1, my smartphone, its external battery, maybe a charger...
A cheese sandwich won't fit, though
12-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You totally lost me there. The reason why many rangefinder lenses (not just Leica) are small is because they are (for the most part) non-retrofocus designs that are possible due to the lack of a mirror box. Longer lenses for rangefinder cameras are just as big and nasty as SLR lenses of the same focal length. The smaller mount diameter of the Leica lenses is fairly coincidental and has more to do lack of aperture coupling than registration distance*. Oh, and one other thing, the Leica-M and LTM lenses have no AF mechanism to bulk up the barrels.

As for 4/3 lenses...I don't know that they are particularly small, at least not those made for SLRs.

Example of 85mm lens in a rangefinder mount:

Jupiter-9 85/2 in Contax/Kiev mount

Same physical size as the same lens in M42 mount

I don't have a photo of the Jupiter-12 35/2.8 on the same camera for size comparison (the J-12 is pretty tiny), but I do have the J-12 in LTM mount:

Jupiter-12 35/2 in M39 (LTM) mount

(The Canon P is very close in size to the Kiev 4A in the photo above)

Summary? About the only generalization that can be made regarding lens size is that that it is difficult to make a generalization regarding lens size.

Steve

* Case in point would be the original Asahiflex SLR with a 37mm mount and the same registration distance as today's Pentax SLRs. Ditto for the early Russian Zenit SLRs (39mm) which also have the same registration distance as Pentax. To be complete, I should also mention the M42 Praktica/Pentax mount.
Sorry. You know more about these things than I do. I just know that Falk said that lenses are smallest when they have a focal length around the registration distance. That's why I assumed that Pentax could do a 40mm pancake, while there is a 16mm f2.8 pancake for the e mount. But it probably has to do with other factors in lens construction than I am aware of.
12-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #454
Pentaxian

Indeed, I can't put a DA 40mm on that site, but here's a good approximation:
Compact Camera Meter

By the way, I can stuff my K-5IIs, the 60-250 (!!!) and all my Limiteds into my old LowePro Nova 1. It's a tight fit, but there's still room for spare battery and card(s), the O-GPS1, my smartphone, its external battery, maybe a charger...
A cheese sandwich won't fit, though
That' what I have been trying to find. A pack with room for all my gear, and a cheese sandwich. What good is a camera bag if you still have to carry your lunch in a separate bag?

12-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #455
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That' what I have been trying to find. A pack with room for all my gear, and a cheese sandwich. What good is a camera bag if you still have to carry your lunch in a separate bag?
Camera gear and a cheese sandwich in the same bag? I don't think so. I'm too worried about cross-contamination.

Not between the camera and the cheese sandwich, mind you, but between this thread and . . . um, you know, THAT one.
12-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Camera gear and a cheese sandwich in the same bag? I don't think so. I'm too worried about cross-contamination.

Not between the camera and the cheese sandwich, mind you, but between this thread and . . . um, you know, THAT one.
Oh dear, that thread is contaminating the whole forum. It's going to be like the egg plant that ate Chicago. Everyone is under-estimating it's potential.
12-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish the cheese sandwich OP would come back and post again. He was fun. Maybe the K3 . . . . . .

12-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #458
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Guys, we really should keep the fun confined to, you know, THAT thread.
The premise and on-topic content of this thread actually have merit.
12-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #459
Veteran Member

There is a ''ricehigh'' in disguise here? To me, some post looks very similar.

I don't have a problem with different points of view, when they are supported by valid arguments. but this seems not to be this case.

I like, for example, Canon 6D, but I will not change Pentax for this, for several reasons. And I would not tell what a crappy cameras are Pentax, because there is another one in the Universe, and because Pentax cameras are not crappy. Every camera in the world has his own drawbacks. So, I don't understand Mr. Clavius. He is loosing his time and energy, and also ours. And the 1000$ question is: Why?
12-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
There is a ''ricehigh'' in disguise here? To me, some post looks very similar.

I don't have a problem with different points of view, when they are supported by valid arguments. but this seems not to be this case.

I like, for example, Canon 6D, but I will not change Pentax for this, for several reasons. And I would not tell what a crappy cameras are Pentax, because there is another one in the Universe, and because Pentax cameras are not crappy. Every camera in the world has his own drawbacks. So, I don't understand Mr. Clavius. He is loosing his time and energy, and also ours. And the 1000$ question is: Why?
That's what I was thinking too. But maybe we got an early christmas present and the whiny ricehigh-in-disguise finally quit these forums? At least he hasn't been responding lately
12-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #461

[*]My last dSLR was the K10D, so I am SHOCKED at how tiny the K3 is - I really need to get my head around the MX-like experience. Coming from K-body film cameras and K manual lenses the K3 is almost so small it is uncomfortable for my size 10's.[LIST=1]
]

Maybe you would be more comfortable if you weren't holding it with your feet.
12-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #462
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can go smaller, for example (and that's not the smallest lens):
Compact Camera Meter
Only one tiny problem with this comparison: The Sony is FULL FRAME!
12-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #463
Pentaxian

"Full frame"; a superlative alternate naming of what's otherwise known as the small format

You forgot the context: a certain somebody claimed that his Sony A7r would fit in his jacket, while a K-mount DSLR would require a big bag. The comparison proves there's no such difference.
12-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Only one tiny problem with this comparison: The Sony is FULL FRAME!
I think the point is that once you include a lens, neither camera is pocketable -- both will require some sort of bag/carrying case. Taking away the mirror doesn't really change that fact.
12-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #465
Veteran Member

I don't care either way whether either one is pocketable... that said the Pentax doesn't have a fast zoom on it so the comparison linked is not very interesting to me.

Somewhat better...

Compact Camera Meter