Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #121
Pentaxian

You incompletely quoted me, I'll add the rest: "but I'm not seriously taking into consideration either of them".
There is personal interpretation and educated guessing involved, regarding #1 and #5. That doesn't change much.

And don't assume I'm gullible or something; this information is just convincing. Believe it or not... all will be revealed, in time.

10-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, 120 million gets you squat these days.
Yep. A few manufacturing facilities in Vietnam and the Philippines, an office building in Japan, a bit of inventory of average, dated gear and some pretty old patents. It's as if they paid less than the assets were actually worth because both sides knew the real investment was yet to come.

Which kind of puts the knock to Ayer's Rock's entire thesis, doesn't it?
10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or someone stating creative conjecture interpreted by someone else as fact and related as a post here with some additional creative musings. I don't know how many times I have read rumor posts where somebody talked to the Pentax rep (salesperson) who was at a local store servicing his account there and the rep said something vague about what might be coming down the pipe (usually something about a FF camera). The rep's comments are then reposted here with a little window dressing as fact and nothing came of it.

That sort of post has been common here since I first joined in 2007. (Yes, there were FF rumors in 2007...remember when the K20D was supposed to be FF?) Ogl has a long history on this site and also a long history of posting speculation about Pentax direction and possible new products. I supposed it would be possible to tally an accuracy score, but I don't have the time nor the inclination. I generally put his credibility on a par with the never-ending rumor mill located in China.

Steve
I think Ogl pointed out, if I understood correctly, that the info he linked was written communications on a forum by a Pentax Russia employee posting in official capacity, not anonomously. The bullet point list posted by Ogl of course is his summary, but I don't see any discrepancy between his summary and what I can understand of the Russian to English Google translation of the forum text.
10-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A representative of that level is definitely informed
What level is this representative? What is his/her position with the company?

10-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #125
Pentaxian

I'm sure we're talking about the part-time cleaning lady here?
Sorry, I won't play into "devil's advocate Q&A" games.
10-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm sure we're talking about the part-time cleaning lady here?
Sorry, I won't play into "devil's advocate Q&A" games.
LOL.... If you don't know who he/she is then how can you say "they" are well informed or what level they are?
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Until I see an official announcement from Ricoh I will still hold the release date being 1st April

10-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #128
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What level is this representative? What is his/her position with the company?
Maybe it is off more importance that Putin is giving this a green light.
10-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
LOL.... If you don't know who he/she is then how can you say "they" are well informed or what level they are?
The entity known as "Ricoh Imaging Russia" have access to such information, at least on this very shallow level.
As I told you, I won't play "devil's advocate Q&A" games; it's useless for you to try, because I don't really want to convince anyone and I myself won't be convinced by it. All they're good for is rejecting information you don't like.
10-26-2013, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Eric Snowden is working for Ricoh Russia now.
10-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Eric Snowden is working for Ricoh Russia now.
Either that or there was something on his thumb drive.
10-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #132
Pentaxian

I think this is Ricoh doing what it has been doing quite well for the last little while. They have secrets, extra secret secrets that no one knows, that you get a knife to kill yourself with if you tell anyone, that shows up on a Russian pentax discussion forum. They don't even have to translate the news release, Google does it. And the opacity creates even more discussion. Do you read official press releases? Neither do I.

It creates interest, discussion, people hold off on the A7 purchase, or D610, for a bit. We are waiting for the K-3 to arrive, we pored over the manual last week, now we need something. They gave us something.

If you look at what has been happening since the spring, every three or four weeks there is an announcement. Sometimes small, almost insignificant, but an announcement nonetheless. The GR special edition last week. There will be buyers, creates a bit of buzz, people look at the GR again and it sells some boxes. In two or three weeks there will be another one. Did you notice the lack of browbeating and 'Pentax (Ricoh) is doomed' when the special GR was announced? Because we are getting used to it. A big hole was filled with the K-3, so some of the urgency is gone. Of course we want more, and I suspect it will come. A bit every three or four weeks.
10-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I think this is Ricoh doing what it has been doing quite well for the last little while. They have secrets, extra secret secrets that no one knows, that you get a knife to kill yourself with if you tell anyone, that shows up on a Russian pentax discussion forum. They don't even have to translate the news release, Google does it. And the opacity creates even more discussion. Do you read official press releases? Neither do I.

It creates interest, discussion, people hold off on the A7 purchase, or D610, for a bit. We are waiting for the K-3 to arrive, we pored over the manual last week, now we need something. They gave us something.

If you look at what has been happening since the spring, every three or four weeks there is an announcement. Sometimes small, almost insignificant, but an announcement nonetheless. The GR special edition last week. There will be buyers, creates a bit of buzz, people look at the GR again and it sells some boxes. In two or three weeks there will be another one. Did you notice the lack of browbeating and 'Pentax (Ricoh) is doomed' when the special GR was announced? Because we are getting used to it. A big hole was filled with the K-3, so some of the urgency is gone. Of course we want more, and I suspect it will come. A bit every three or four weeks.
Really?!? For an entire year? You have to remember, it has been "next year" with Pentax for a few years now. Next year is always the busiest.
10-26-2013, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One point that should be considered is the difference between what Ricoh thinks is 'good enough' and what Pentax in recent past has thought was 'good enough'.

Pentax releases k-5 with numerous QC issues that need fixed. --> Ricoh releases k-5II that fixes (as much as possible) those issues
Pentax has k-3 ready for showing at Photokina 2012 --> Ricoh is not satisfied with the product and pulls it, takes the next year making it right.
Pentax has a 645dII in development, maybe for release early 2013 --> Ricoh is not satisfied with the product and delays it until it is right.

Those that wish Ricoh to release products NOW, because they are falling behind are neglecting to consider what happens when you release a product that is not ready. Yes, falling behind loses market share. Releasing poor product that has problems also loses market share. Which is worse?

In a marketing driven company products go out the door when marketing thinks they should. In an engineering driven company products go out the door when they are ready. All the whining in the world is not going to get Ricoh to release something before they are ready. Their name is on it. Maybe Hoya-->Pentax was OK releasing something that did not quite meet standards just because they needed a product release, I don't think Ricoh-->Pentax is.
10-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #135
Pentaxian

Whether folks do or don't depends on them. The Pentax FF isn't ready, isn't out. Oddly just after the A7 announcement, which seems quite successful, we hear through these back channels that there is one in the pipe. I don't think it is a coincidence.

This is a market that I'm not interested in, hence have no emotional tie one way or another. My interests are longer wildlife stuff. I'm happy with what I see in the K-3, and have one coming. I looked at Nikon stuff earlier in the year, counted up how much it would cost to replace my lens collection, and backed off, fully intending to wait for what I figured was coming. I'm happy for the moment, and expect Ricoh to toss some goodies my way in the coming years. This stuff posted here is one more step in the progression that I've watched Pentax/Ricoh go through with FF. First, well, we are thinking about it, then we are focusing resources, then yes, a release next year. I suspect that once the details are down pat we will see some furtive photos, then better ones, then some specs, then an announcement. For now, until they have something done, this is all they can do, and I expect them to do it.

Whether it works or not, we shall see.