Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a grumpy old man. Most of the time I shoot subjects that aren't moving.

I still own more manual focus lenses than I do autofocus lenses and I still prefer to hold the camera to my cheek and forehead for stability than to hold it in my palm looking down at the LCD (whether tilted or fixed horizontal) with my elbows braced on my hip bones. To make best use of my exisiting equipment I would like a larger, brighter viewfinder. My manual focus lenses were quite fast enough for film cameras and they're quite fast enough for digital cameras.

But my eyes are also old and grumpy, so I'm a realist. For most of my photography it is just easier and more enjoyable to take advantage of these modern technologies. Sometimes it is even just possible with technology. Autofocus is a dream for most of the grumpy old men I know who take photographs for pleasure or some commercial or volunteer documentary assignment.

When we want to get together and act like grumpy old snobby snobs and chaw and spit and scratch and make foul bodily noises while we photograph for fun we bring out our film cameras for the pure cussedness of it. In that group I am in fact a chump since I never shoot anything larger than 35mm.

PLUS. Sekonics Rule. Needles Drool. We leave the batteries out of our cameras too, just to make it harder.

And we like it that way.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.
12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #287
Pentaxian

I really like manual focus, on 8x10 view cameras, trying to discern your focus point with an MF lens on APS-c or FF camera, or even MF, not so much fun. You pretty much have to be a masochist, or at best some one who hasn't realized what they like to do is much more effectively done on a larger format. Saying you don't like shooting MF, is basically saying you don't like shooting anything that moves. Getting images of Chickadees MF is an exercise in frustration. With AF it's easily doable. So I'm guessing if you don't like AF , what you're saying is "I don't give a crap if I never take another picture of a chickadee in my whole life." Well fine, next time I feed the chickadees, I'm telling on you. They need to know who their friends are.

Last edited by normhead; 12-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
PLUS. Sekonics Rule. VF meters Drool.
[ELITISTO-CYNICAL]

Sir, I beg to differ. For a meter to rule, it needs to be a spotmeter.

Anything else is junk.
[/ELITISTO-CYNICAL]

12-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sir, I beg to differ. For a meter to rule, it needs to be a spotmeter.
I will concede the point to the Elitist, but remind I am a grumpy.

Pentax 1° Spotmeter V rules. Sekonic L-398 (any version) serves. Spotmatic - kept the name, but it wasn't. Drools.

Ducking Now.

12-03-2013, 11:18 AM - 3 Likes   #290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use AF more than MF with my DA lenses. I use MF exclusively with my M lenses and Takumars. I didn't even own a camera with a light meter in it until 1978.

I am a grumpy old man - just ask my wife, she will confirm that enthusiastically. AF is a tool. AE is a tool. A light meter is a tool. A brain is a tool. Use whichever you prefer. No matter for me.

BUT there is absolutely no reason to call down anyone who prefers A over B.

I prefer Pentax. Sherry prefers Canon. We will teach a course together in the spring. We think we can be more helpful to our students by covering different camera brands. I find Canon confusing. Sherry doesn't get Nikon/Pentax handling. We have different shooting methods and preferences. We think that together we can help more people get hooked on photography with something other than the smart phone. Neither of us feels the other's choice of equipment and shooting methods is dumb. It is just different.
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use AF more than MF with my DA lenses. I use MF exclusively with my M lenses and Takumars. I didn't even own a camera with a light meter in it until 1978.

I am a grumpy old man - just ask my wife, she will confirm that enthusiastically. AF is a tool. AE is a tool. A light meter is a tool. A brain is a tool. Use whichever you prefer. No matter for me.

BUT there is absolutely no reason to call down anyone who prefers A over B.

I prefer Pentax. Sherry prefers Canon. We will teach a course together in the spring. We think we can be more helpful to our students by covering different camera brands. I find Canon confusing. Sherry doesn't get Nikon/Pentax handling. We have different shooting methods and preferences. We think that together we can help more people get hooked on photography with something other than the smart phone. Neither of us feels the other's choice of equipment and shooting methods is dumb. It is just different.
Well said!
12-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #292
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will concede the point to the Elitist, but remind I am a grumpy.

Pentax 1° Spotmeter V rules. Sekonic L-398 (any version) serves. Spotmatic - kept the name, but it wasn't. Drools.

Ducking Now.

12-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #293
Veteran Member

It's not like the AF system on most DSLRs guarantees perfect results anyhow. Especially with DSLRs like the K-5 classic, with focus points as large as dinner plates.

Truly lazy folks would just use a small sensor point-and-shoot. Or a Nikon.
12-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #294
Veteran Member

Full frame, what can't you do? Better colors, better dynamic range, lighter lenses, cheaper lenses, sharper pictures, bigger viewfinder, better for wildlife. Let me count the ways.
12-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #295

I apologize for being insensitive and vulgar.
12-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Full frame, what can't you do? Better colors, better dynamic range, lighter lenses, cheaper lenses, sharper pictures, bigger viewfinder, better for wildlife. Let me count the ways.
Your list is as debatable as the whole issue
You can only fuel the fire making such a list (in any side of the issue)
12-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Your list is as debatable as the whole issue
You can only fuel the fire making such a list (in any side of the issue)
He just does that because he likes arguing with me…
12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And 7% of what you can do on an APS-c camera, you can't do on an FF.
False.

Any image an APS-C camera can make, a FF camera can replicate perfectly with the same pixel density and technology generation. You know how? By cropping.

Take a D800, stick any lens on it, FF or APS-C, crop the image and it will be indistinguishable from a shot taken with the D7000 with the same lens and same settings. Nikon even makes it easy by providing automatic crop modes and saving you post-processing time.
12-05-2013, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #299
Pentaxian

7% is one of those estimates from no where, but the concept of APS-c having strengths that FF can' match is absolutely true… The largest crop image on an FF is 15 Mp. A K-3 is 24 Mp, a D7100 is 24 Mp. You used the top Mp FF camera and put it against less than the top APS-c camera, doesn't that make you feel a little dishonest? . Using the same lens, the FF gives you neither the DoF, nor the resolution.

On images like this which is about a 70% crop, of a "crop sensor" the lack of IQ using a crop of an FF would be poor, really, not worth bothering with, compared to the APS-c version. ANd the 600 mm lens you'd need to do an FF version, wouldn't have the same DoF at the same aperture, would be too heavy to carry, and 10 times the price of the 400mm lens I took this with.

Last edited by normhead; 12-05-2013 at 08:50 AM.
12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #300
Pentaxian

That's very true, until Sony's next rumored 54 Mpix FF sensor comes out in Nikon D900 / Sony A7n, by one or two years...