Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Asahi Optical which became Pentax was — as it name suggests — an optics company. Despite designing cameras, we may assume majority of their workforce were optics engineers. If they needed to cut the jobs for mere salary economics, they'd economise within the largest group of employees, I'd suspect, no?
Besides, we indeed don't know details, and it's worthless presuming anything sinister or vile. Last information I've heard is that they are hiring again; but not advertising so loudly that an average idle grandma hanging around PF would be fully briefed about it.
We were speculating more about the change in lens design ethic and less about the hiring / firing decisions - except as they might have been causal regarding the design ethic change.

12-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #407
Pentaxian

IMO the only plausible design change requirement from Hoya was "make them cheaper".
OTOH, going digital changed some things.

Uluru, I'm not sure about the assumption that most of their employees were optical engineers... there are many things beside optical lens design they had to do, in order to put the products on the table.
12-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #408
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We were speculating more about the change in lens design ethic...
I wasn't sure what PF users are exactly referring to, because the quality of Pentax lenses in digital times is better overall and embraces tighter tolerances than in the late film age.
The Golden age of film and MF lenses I won't mention or analyse, because everything was different then — and I'm not concluding it was better or worse — it was simply ... different.
12-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't have a 55.

The bokeh looks fine to me (but not superb), the rendering looks fine to me. The test results show poor sharpness below F/4.

It's also not... heavy, but certainly not light, either.

To me it was a non-starter because of the SDM issues. The SDM issues seem to have sorted themselves out, though, so if Pentax makes a FF I might consider it.
SDM is really not an issue with this lens. Haven't heard about significant failures, unlike the 16-50 and 50-135. As to sharpness, I am comparing it to the FA 77 and FA 50 and it is sharper at similar apertures than either of those.

12-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #410
Veteran Member

Pentax lenses has some unusual focal range, if we consider the products from other manufactures. In the same time, some very common lenses, like 70-200mm/f2.8, are missing from the products line. Anyway, we don't know the cause, but we can see the consequences. A relatively small number of new lenses made by Pentax in the last years.

Thank you God that the ''Hoya gap'' was short.
12-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #411
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
In the same time, some very common lenses, like 70-200mm/f2.8, are missing from the products line. Anyway, we don't know the cause . . . .
Recent Pentax lenses in the K-mount have been designed for APS-C.
So instead of a 70-200/2.8,
you get a 50-135/2.8 as the APS-C equivalent.

Production of a good range of APS-C lenses
is one of the market strengths of Pentax.
12-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I wasn't sure what PF users are exactly referring to, because the quality of Pentax lenses in digital times is better overall and embraces tighter tolerances than in the late film age.
The Golden age of film and MF lenses I won't mention or analyse, because everything was different then — and I'm not concluding it was better or worse — it was simply ... different.
Well we were kind of saying we miss the difference and we were discussing the nature of "quality," which in some ways we think is not better today. But you would need to read about 4 pages of interspersed posts to understand what we were writing about.

It's in the images, not the lenses themselves - designing lenses for the images, not for the tests, and for the taste of the viewer in image output, which likely has changed over time.

12-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #413
Inactive Account

unlikely for the FF next year but this is a trend. Maybe FF will be available in 2015 or later~
12-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #414
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoenix_xyh123 Quote
unlikely for the FF next year but this is a trend. Maybe FF will be available in 2015 or later~
Where did that come from? I thought we were at June to October 2014. Didd I miss something?
12-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where did that come from? I thought we were at June to October 2014. Didd I miss something?
I don't think so. Of course, we won't know anything until a few days before the big reveal. I think a K3 with the larger sensor, IBIS resolved and the flash sync issue resolved as well. FA Limiteds get HD coatings and cosmetic updates, 2 f/2.8 zooms and the D-FA's - that should cover a lot of users' needs.

Of course I'm purely speculating.
12-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Of course I'm purely speculating.
Well ya, that's what we do here. Anyone expecting hard solid facts would have left pages ago.
12-18-2013, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #417
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well ya, that's what we do here. Anyone expecting hard solid facts would have left pages ago.
My sources are strangely tight-lipped on the subject. RIAC has apparently been beavering away coordinating in-store demonstrations and preparing for CES, where Ricoh Imaging US has a real (large) Exhibit Space and a real (large) Meeting Room in Central Hall this time.

Things seem to be heating up. Good for them!!
12-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #418
Veteran Member

I don't know about that...

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Pentax lenses has some unusual focal range, if we consider the products from other manufactures. In the same time, some very common lenses, like 70-200mm/f2.8, are missing from the products line. Anyway, we don't know the cause, but we can see the consequences. A relatively small number of new lenses made by Pentax in the last years.

Thank you God that the ''Hoya gap'' was short.
they've been bring out APSC lenses to beat the band...I don't think any other manufacturer has brought out as many, and of such good to amazing quality, and in such a short time.

Pentax is on a roll...their cameras are best in class, smallest, and the cheapest...their lenses are small and superb...they're doing a great job these days. I hope the public catches on, and it's partially up to us to stop whining and bitching about what they don't have and help them sell some stuff that they do have to show our appreciation.

I've sold four or five cameras for them in the past few years....made some converts. And I'm constantly in lust over something they're offering.

And have a look at this...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/12/18/have-your-say-best-dslr-slt-of-2013-readers-poll

They're in the lead right now...

Cheers,
Cameron
12-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #419
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The biggest "problem" Pentax needs to fix is the lack of fast primes. The big fat fast primes that were (miraculously) affordable, enticed me to join Pentax. (That was one of the reasons, at least.) They completely negated all aspects of that. And judging my the price and availability of those historic primes on the used market, there are a lot of users that agree with me. They get sold for astounding prices and very quickly as well. They're going to have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. Slow zooms in increasingly overlapping focal lengths is all they're developing right now.
12-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

And have a look at this...

Have Your Say: Best DSLR / SLT of 2013: Digital Photography Review

They're in the lead right now...

Cheers,
Cameron
Still, up to 26,7% when i voted : vote if you like !