Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The silver version looks like a mean bit of kit on a silver K-3

The bokeh is nice... looks real smooth and "creamy".. similar to the Sigma 18-35 that this is being constantly compared to!

11-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #767
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks gorgeous ! I'll have one
11-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #768
Veteran Member

Bokeh shot looks fine to my eyes. Slight extension on zooming; to be expected. I was also curious about the max aperture at 30mmish. Thanks zygonyx for the pics!

Oh, another thing: how did that zoom ring feel?
11-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #769
Pentaxian

Thank you for all feedbacks.

And sorry not to be able to complete the serie : the surroundings were not very motivating + i didn't actually took enough time to make a thourough exploration of the shooting potential of this lens. I am affraid it doesn't cover 24x36mm, i took my PZ-1p to check it also : results to come by a few weeks time.

I found the zoom and focussing rings smooth, the zooming much more resistant but still "flexible". The lens is pretty "handy" and doesn't feel that heavy as for example the FA 31mm.

The AF speed was not optimal for a DC engine : i guess maybe because the lens had been too much tightened by the "security collar" they usually put on it, and it had been somehow damaged. The focussing ring does rotate in the meantime DC engine works.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 11-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.
11-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #770
Veteran Member

Well, I'll have to admit that my first reaction to this lens was "why would I want that?", but I think I'm starting to warm to it a bit. First of all, though this shouldn't really be a reason to buy it, it is hands down the sexiest looking lens in the Pentax line-up, supplanting the FA31. My biggest objections to it are the almost comically short zoom range, and the variable aperture, something I've consciously avoided on the few zooms I have in my line-up.

However, I had tentatively planned to buy the HD21 just to have something in that range. I've never really been impressed by the DA21, so I was going to give the HD version a shot. This zoom could be seen as a replacement for that lens, giving a little zoom range in exchange for a few more dollars. Even though some will find it too big for street shooting, that's exactly what I would use it for, along with some indoor use. I also really like the DC motor (hopefully the show sample AF speed was an anomaly) and, to a lesser extent, the weather sealing.

I will obviously want to see more samples from it but I don't see anything in the few above that turns me off.

In the end, though, I have to ask myself "if I had this lens, how often would I decide to give up a few mm of FL and just take the 31, a faster lens that I know is going to give great results and is highly croppable, especially now with the K-3?" I also would not pay the full price, but it'll probably be on sale somewhere in the next couple of months.

I just don't know....
11-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I had tentatively planned to buy the HD21 just to have something in that range.
. . .
In the end, though, I have to ask myself "if I had this lens, how often would I decide to give up a few mm of FL and just take the 31, a faster lens that I know is going to give great results and is highly croppable, especially now with the K-3?"
With the FA 31,
you'd manage 31-40 coverage by cropping,
but not 20-30 without stitching.

This lens will cover all the 20-40 range
(albeit without the f/1.8 of the FA 31 Ltd,
or the macro of a DA 35 Ltd),
with the rendering of a DA Limited.
11-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #772
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
With the FA 31,
you'd manage 31-40 coverage by cropping,
but not 20-30 without stitching.
Well, I know, that's why I said I'd have to give up a few mms.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
with the rendering of a DA Limited.
That would actually be a slight drawback for me, as I prefer the FA Limited rendering.

11-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #773
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Hi friends, 5 shots with this lens (pre-prod model) + K-3, hold in Current Paris's "salon de la photo 2013" :
Ah, great. I think the LBA virus got me again. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

but seriously, thanks for those sample shots! Some may not like the bokeh, but I do. And seems nice and sharp even at semi-wide open. Looks like this is going to be a nice complement to my 50-135...crap I shouldn't have said that. *looks away from sample photos*
11-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #774
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That would actually be a slight drawback for me, as I prefer the FA Limited rendering.
Agreed!
11-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #775

Bokeh looks ok this is down to taste too. Some onion rings, but hey lenses in this range are not normally "bokeh demons"
I'd hope it is sharp, the price demands it to be!
11-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #776
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been away for some days and read about 30 last pages of this thread. IMHO Ricoh has given customers who would buy DA Limited lenses a choice - all primes or a zoom and a prime at either end. Prime shooters have the entire zoom range covered with a bit of foot zooming. Price won't matter to them since they won't buy it. Zoom shooters (possibly a larger group) save some money. Short zoom length won't matter to them because an additional prime at either end covers 15 - 70 (everyone has a fast 50). People who don't buy limited won't care anyway whether their daughters inherit their lenses. Ricoh has been pretty shrewd, if you ask me.

They've also stimulated a firestorm thread with a sexy product introduction rather than something negative like pricing or a website error. 775 Replies and accusations of ad hominem attacks, plus a "Calm Down" entry from a Mod. Sheesh.

And it is Pentaxy, to boot. Who says Ricoh killed the brand? - they're actually living the brand!

I'll have to rethink my entire approach to the gear / image production mix, probably sell most of my stuff and actually take more photographs - but I think I'm in for K3 + 20~40. Black. Should work out on the K-01 also.

And I'll make a special Album for New York.
11-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

52 pages...oh my.
11-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #778
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If one look carefully, the onion ring bokeh ??? especially obvious in this one:
11-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #779
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
If one look carefully, the onion ring bokeh ??? especially obvious in this one:
Not that distracting in this shot imo, so I dont really mind it, not ok for a $1k lens though.

I think these shots have very good rendering wide open, but doesnt convince me that htis lens is worth $1k. It's preproduction though so there's still some room for improvement (or not?)
11-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Not that distracting in this shot imo, so I dont really mind it, not ok for a $1k lens though.

I think these shots have very good rendering wide open, but doesnt convince me that htis lens is worth $1k. It's preproduction though so there's still some room for improvement (or not?)
Doubt if they'd change anything about the construction at this point.