Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
Stupid range for APS-C IMO....hopefully this is FF compatible and signs to come that FF is coming.

Nothing strange about the range. It is spot on. About 75% of all images are shot in the 30-60mm range (35mm system).
This is brillant focal lenght range for a high quality, compact standard zoom lens...

10-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #62
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I know it's DA limited but does it supports FF camera or not??
DA designation is for crop mode lenses, FA is for FF.
10-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
DA designation is for crop mode lenses, FA is for FF.
Some DA lenses curiously does "support" FF.

20-40 (or rather, 35-60mm) is actually a rather classic FF range, but since they call this lens a "limited" it will probably be a totally new lens design like the DA 15, in order to keep it compact.

Ooops, I though I promised not to post in this thread
10-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
It is a desperate "bridge-the-gap" measure. Pentax is designing one lens that fills the obvious gap in the DA Limited range that had not be filled since 2008. That gap is the most interesting 20–35mm in APS-C (30–50mm in FF), but it seems in this design they could squeeze up to 40mm (60mm in FF), still keeping the design small and stopping at f4 (if true).

So it won't be FF compatible apart form the possible crop mode on a possible FF camera.

Don't put too much stress on the FF — DA Limiteds will never happen again in the FF offer, if it ever comes.
But why get this when there is tamron 17-50. Wider, faster, longer, cheaper possibly?
Unless it's smaller than 18 55 kit it doesn't make sense

10-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #65
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But why get this when there is tamron 17-50. Wider, faster, longer, cheaper possibly?
Unless it's smaller than 18 55 kit it doesn't make sense
It will probably be very small; very light and no bigger than DA35.
That's the whole point.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-31-2013 at 06:18 PM.
10-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While we're still just reading the tea leaves, anyone care to hazard a guess on the price?

With the HD Ltds being $700+ (40mm $550), it certainly won't be cheaper than that, will it? I'd put it at $750-850, $999 if the DC and WR rumors pan out.

I don't know... (stream of consciousness alert)...If you look at it as "just another" semi-fast normal zoom as some appear to be doing, the above prices would seem crazy. But if it proves worthy of the Limited moniker, I know I'll start saving up for it.
10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #67
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
While we're still just reading the tea leaves, anyone care to hazard a guess on the price?

With the HD Ltds being $700+ (40mm $550), it certainly won't be cheaper than that, will it? I'd put it at $750-850, $999 if the DC and WR rumors pan out.

Yes, I'm afraid, it will be no less than $900.

10-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Hm, did I get this right?
f-stop = focal length / diameter
Diameter = focal / f-stop
Diameter = 40 / 4 = 10
Diameter = 20/ 2.8 = 7,1

So this is pretty small. Dunno about the length and size of the lens, though. It has to be shorter than the DA L18-55mm (which is 6.7 cm long)
10-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #69
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, did I get this right?
f-stop = focal length / diameter
Diameter = focal / f-stop
Diameter = 40 / 4 = 10
Diameter = 20/ 2.8 = 7,1

So this is pretty small. Dunno about the length and size of the lens, though. It has to be shorter than the DA L18-55mm (which is 6.7 cm long)
DA18-55 is 3x zoom.
DA* 16-50 is also 3x zoom.
Etc.

DA Ltd is only 2x zoom, first one in the Pentax digital land. It will be a lot shorter than DA18-55, and I presume, of excellent quality.
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #70
Veteran Member

It will go nice with my Sigma 10-20....
10-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #71

It will probably be very small; very light and no bigger than DA35.
That's the whole point.
If that's true that would be impressive.

But I still stand by my remark. As a business decision releasing this lens right after unveiling K-3 this doesn't make sense.
Why update and market the AF system, burst rate, processing speed and put it in a larger and heavier body than K-5. Which obviously partially aimed to lure Canikon aps-c action shooter to Pentax. Yet release a compact, slow zoom lens as a follow up move.

I understand there probably is a market for this lens but Pentax is sending a mixed signal to which direction they're going, and worse not riding the momentum that K-3 created
10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #72
Banned

If that's true that would be impressive.

But I still stand by my remark. As a business decision releasing this lens right after unveiling K-3 this doesn't make sense.
Why update and market the AF system, burst rate, processing speed and put it in a larger and heavier body than K-5. Which obviously partially aimed to lure Canikon aps-c action shooter to Pentax. Yet release a compact, slow zoom lens as a follow up move.
Why such a lens? Just because of your explanation: world is full of big and so called fast zooms. Who needs one more?
Also, it's not quite slow zoom: if your trow it away in a long shot, it may reach at least 50 km/h speed in first 20m. Even more if you throw it down from a high building.

Why they're releasing it now, after the K-3? Because that is all they have to announce for November. Each month they announce something, even if it's a nonsense like the company name change. If they've announced DA Ltd zoom together with K-3, they'd run of all announcements for this year. So it is possible DA Ltd zoom will be announced next week, and 08 lens for Q in December.

Then, that John Carlson from Denver office has bought a new tie, will be announced right in January 2014!
10-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #73
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Some DA lenses curiously does "support" FF.
I'm well aware of this, but "support" is the magic word here, as it implies (to me) "by design". i.e. it is intended to work on FF, rather than just "happening" to work on FF. I wasn't sure as to the meaning of the asker's use of "support".
10-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #74

Why such a lens? Just because of your explanation: world is full of big and so called fast zooms. Who needs one more?
Also, it's not quite slow zoom: if your trow it away in a long shot, it may reach at least 50 km/h speed in first 20m. Even more if you throw it down from a high building.

Why they're releasing it now, after the K-3? Because that is all they have to announce for November. Each month they announce something, even if it's a nonsense like the company name change. If they've announced DA Ltd zoom together with K-3, they'd run of all announcements for this year. So it is possible DA Ltd zoom will be announced next week, and 08 lens for Q in December.

Then, that John Carlson from Denver office has bought a new tie, will be announced right in January 2014!
Well pentax do need one more since we don't even have one :P
Yes it might not be that slow, 50 km/h might be plausible but if you throw a heavy fast-er zoom you can hurt someone who is trying to mug you even more!

I think John Carlson announcement will be delayed to Q2 2014 due to QA issue, too much moire on the tie pattern
10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Yes. And when they've announced a new lens or new body or new reissue of an old lens at the 3-4 week pace for a year, filling all the obvious holes, then we won't wonder about confusion or whatever. We will wonder where we are going to get the money to buy all the neat stuff that we want.