Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
... 2.8 is surprisingly fast for a Limited zoom.
...not sure how you can say that considering there's no previous Limited Zooms to go by.

11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #182
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
...not sure how you can say that considering there's no previous Limited Zooms to go by.
Well, primes are naturally faster than zooms. Taking into account that the fastest DA Ltd is 2.4, 2.8 looks pretty fast.
11-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you noticed that Ricoh appears to be releasing new products every month? Strategy appears to keep the momentum going with respect to Pentax products.
11-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #184
Veteran Member

This would have to be a stellar performer for me to be interested. If it was F/2 and WR and performed like the Sigma 18-35 I would put it on my buy list.

11-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's slightly faster than the 21mm and one stop slower than the 40mm in a smallish, good-looking, silent focusing, WR housing. I don't know what to expect more compared to the other offerings?
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I know it's DA limited but does it supports FF camera or not??
We're not gonna know until production units come out and get tested. So the question you're asking is probably a little too early.

QuoteOriginally posted by Azzy Quote
I think if Pentax wants to be taken seriously as a pro APS-C gear (which they are trying to do with K-3) they need to update 16-50/50-135 ASAP which are the bread and butter lens for any system
So far I have the Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 50-135 and manage to do my assignments OK. Not a pure pro but when it comes to operation I don't have any problems with both (on the K-5 IIs). As for "bread and butter lens" I think a 70-200 fits the bill more than a 50-135.
11-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This would have to be a stellar performer for me to be interested. If it was F/2 and WR and performed like the Sigma 18-35 I would put it on my buy list.
why do you need f2 in a landscape lens? this obsession with f1.4 or f2 for wide angle landscape lenses is goofy.
like people have been programmed for f2 or bust.

what pentax really should do is make this 20-40 a diffraction limited lens that does f32 or f45... NOW THAT WOULD BE GROUNDBREAKING.

11-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens, in silver, may never come off my K-01.
11-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
why do you need f2 in a landscape lens? this obsession with f1.4 or f2 for wide angle landscape lenses is goofy.

what pentax really should do is make this 20-40 a diffraction limited lens that does f32 or f45... NOW THAT WOULD BE GROUNDBREAKING.
Because I wouldn't use it as a landscape lens.
11-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #190

What a curious lens, I don't entirely understand who this lens is targeted at. For portraiture I would prefer something faster (F2 would have been nice) and longer (50mm) and for landscapes I would have expected wider. I guess they are going to be doing something with the DA* 16-50 otherwise this lens would basically be replacing it if built to my prefered specs. I will be interested to see if this gives the 40mm limited a run for its money, the bar has been set pretty high.
11-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
What a curious lens, I don't entirely understand who this lens is targeted at. For portraiture I would prefer something faster (F2 would have been nice) and longer (50mm) and for landscapes I would have expected wider. I guess they are going to be doing something with the DA* 16-50 otherwise this lens would basically be replacing it if built to my prefered specs. I will be interested to see if this gives the 40mm limited a run for its money, the bar has been set pretty high.
For me it's the ultimate ninja street lens, silent, small, WR, just wide enough, just tele enough, just fast enough. If wide open performance is like DA 40 and 70, I can't ask for more from the Ricoh gods other than the price (and starburst ala SMC 15, but that might be asking too much).
11-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

That's not a landscape lens, it's just lens. Wide angle lens doesn't always mean it's for landscape. A lot of people (esp. photojournalists, street, and wedding photographers) needed/wanted a fast aperture wide angle lenses for low-light shooting and some also wanted for a narrower DoF when their subject is close, and increasing ISO is always not the answer..
11-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
That's not a landscape lens, it's just lens. Wide angle lens doesn't always mean it's for landscape. A lot of people (esp. photojournalists, street, and wedding photographers) needed/wanted a fast aperture wide angle lenses for low-light shooting and some also wanted for a narrower DoF when their subject is close, and increasing ISO is always not the answer..
Photojournalists and wedding people probably wont use this lens. They usually dont mind lenses that are medium to large, and the range 20-40 is too restrictive. I dont think it's the target market.

As you said, it's just a lens, but the spec shows that it's catered more towards landscape / street togs. I only know a few street photographers that shoot wide open (Ming Thein comes to mind), but that maybe because I dont read enough

Sigma 18-35 is one of the most interesting designs of recent years. It's f 1.8, have you seen how big that lens is?
11-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This lens, in silver, may never come off my K-01.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Then where will my FA35 go? (Don't say K3).
11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #195
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Even though it's a very nice looking lens I don't think its desirable at all, not to me anyway. Neither fast nor flexible.
When you observe it just by itself, yes, it doesn't make lots of sense.
However, the sole purpose of HD DA Limited zoom is understood when you see what was terribly missing in the Pentax DA range. This zoom is one-shoe-must-fit-all answer to bridge the eye-hurting gap within the DA Limited / Prime lens range, one between the DA21 and DA35.

The gap where most useful focal lengths for general purpose photography are.
The lack of any dedicated lens in that range has cost Pentax a great deal of lost opportunities.

Now with this zoom they finally want to do something about it. Better late than never.