Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Using the classic screw-mount era focus ring style as the zoom ring -- bravo Pentax. very cool.

Add on the weather sealing, the fact that it is a LIMITED zoom, the DC motor, and still retaining the small, beautiful form factor.

I think the r&d team deserve some serious recognition for this.

11-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
But the best thing about the DA 20-40 is its look - it's beautiful.
That zoom ring is gorgeous. No, the entire lens is. This HD DA 20-40 is probably around the size of the FA31... I'm pretty sure many people who aren't keen with Pentax lenses would probably think it's a manual lens, or came from, say, Voigt or Leica (specially the silver version)
11-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #213

Photos: Albums
Perhaps, Pentax is planning to make retro-look for K-02 to perfectly match up with this limited? Of course not a FF, but 1.5x sensor.

Also, WR body.....

Just my imagination.
11-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks like an expensive rare lens from the 50-70's and every time I see it I want it more. They seem to want to challenge Zeiss and Voigtländer when it comes to the build.

11-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #215
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Update with picture. Available in Black and Silver!

Helios 44M

11-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #216
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax seems to be avoiding answering this question in interviews. DC is a different motor technology than SDM. It uses a ring motor, which is more reliable than SDM, but it also requires lenses to have a compliant design.

SDM should be replaced.
DC has the same micro-ring motor like SDM, but with simplier design and more reliable.
It means silent and smooth focusing. Not high speed.
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #217
Veteran Member

Forget the K3 - I want this lens! Ricoh is on a roll. Great times ahead for us all!

11-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #218
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zany225 Quote
Perhaps, Pentax is planning to make retro-look for K-02 to perfectly match up with this limited? Of course not a FF, but 1.5x sensor.
Also, WR body.....
Just my imagination.
You are not far off the mark.
11-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #219

Here's what I think is a decent translation :

Ricoh (Pentax) to announce the HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR in a few days?

We are (or I am) able provide information that came from a reader (or readers) about two new Ricoh (Pentax) interchangeable lenses.

Ricoh Imaging could announce in a possible near future the introduction of two new lenses :

- PENTAX 08 Wide Zoom Lens
- HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR

The 08 Wide Zoom Lens lens was published in the lens road map as part of the Q Mount, and was named a "WIDE" lens. This lens, once released, will allow to cover the focal length range from the ultra wide to the telephoto on the PENTAX Q.

The HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR seems to be the DA Limited Zoom which appeared in the lens road map as part of the K Mount, based on the indications regarding its focal length. Details are unknown, but judging from the name, it includes a DC motor, although the weather-proof construction might be a mistake. The focal length of this lens is not something seen very often, so it is going to be a quite unique lens.

Thank you to the person(s) who sent me this information.

If this lens is indeed announced in the next days, I expect a lot of excitement in the Pentax community.

This piece of glass, though it has a bit odd of a focal length range (20-40mm isn't very wide nor isn't very long on the tele reach), could prove to be very useful for a lot of photographers, provided it comes in a compact package, like most DA Limited lenses usually do.

Too much compromises on the size can sometimes lead to compromises in image quality, something which can be avoided by staying conservative with the focal length range. I expect this zoom to deliver very sharp images, perhaps as sharp (or almost) as the other DA Limited primes. The maximum aperture is pretty decent for a (possibly compact) Limited lens, and while I would've preferred a constant aperture, this can once again a compromise to help keep the size down and the image quality high.

The DC motor isn't impossible at all, for Pentax was, until recently, one of the rare manufacturers still designing new lenses which are using the noisy screw-driven motor. Most of the others (Canon, Sony, Pana, Oly, Nikon, etc.), don't build lenses using screw-driven motors anymore, even if they still carry old screw-driven lenses in their line-up. There are some rare exceptions of course, but even Sigma and Tamron are switching to lens-based motors on most of their new products. Pentax had to catch up, and while SDM probably wasn't the most successful attempt at doing this, the DC motor seems to be the logical way to go for most of the new lenses.

The WR might be a mistake indeed, but it's not impossible the Ricoh-Pentax engineers managed to fit weather seals in rather compact Limited lens. That would make it the first Limited that can go under the rain without fear of damaging this delicate piece of art, and a nice alternative to the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED WR.

I guess the suggested retail price will probably be between $US 800 to $US 1,300, judging on the price of other HD Limited lenses. But that's just pure speculation.

Nice lens, but not one that answers my needs for a weather-proof ultra-wide lens (or even very wide lens). Actually, I would've like some HD Pentax DA 15-45mm F/3.2 ED DC WR better, and a nice HD Pentax DA 12-24mm F/4 ED WR would've been a dream come true.

But still, looks like a darn nice lens.
11-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #220
Inactive Account

Small, WR and well built. Nice to see what is great about Pentax make it into a new lens. This lens and the new 55-300 WR are quite the pair!
11-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
The WR might be a mistake indeed, but it's not impossible the Ricoh-Pentax engineers managed to fit weather seals in rather compact Limited lens. That would make it the first Limited that can go under the rain without fear of damaging this delicate piece of art, and a nice alternative to the DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED WR.
The DFA 100 Macro WR may not technically be a Limited, but it certainly is built like one. The inner barrel also extends more than the Limiteds, making it relatively more difficult to weather seal. If they can manage to make the 100 WR, there really isn't much reason why they can't do it to the others.
11-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Helios 44M
Nope, too coarse The early Takumars compares better.

11-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #223
Banned

As a comparison: Sigma 18-35 is wider (78mm) than DA 20-40's overall height (65mm).
11-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #224
Veteran Member

I have to say, I think Pentax have hit a home run on this lens. (Especially if its WR)
If I was still shooting pentax I would buy this.(Again if WR)
11-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Nice wr lens...even better if constant f2.8, but then size would be bigger so maybe its ok like this