Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2013, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #346
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
SR is no substitute for fast shutter speed when your subject is moving.
You took the words out of my mouth. I'm surprised every time SR is mentioned as a reason for Pentax not having many fast lenses. Sure, SR is nice, but it's a solution to a different problem.

As for the compromise I pick? I have the 2 DA* f/2.8 zooms. They are small and light, relative to what they are. In absolute terms, they are still big lenses though. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the appeal of tiny, excellent primes that offer apertures similar to these f/2.8 zooms. However I think I still prefer zooms for their compositional freedom. Besides, I have learned that the best way to go about it is to take the minimum amount of gear with which you can get the job done. Otherwise, you are focusing too much on the gear and too little on photography. At least, that holds true for me. Can't speak for others though.

11-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I presume that this lens must be due to be announced fairly shortly?

Are we still expecting the wide to short tele f/2.8 zoom that was rumoured?
11-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #348
Forum Member

I agree that the primary issue is DC.
I have 1 lens with an inbuilt motor (Sigma) which I now use more than any other in public due just to noise.
Screw-drive focus is unacceptably noisy and quite frankly out-of-date.
I hate to admit that Canon got it right way back when they launched EOS, but it has paid off. Every Canon lens and every 3rd party lens for Canon is quiet but for we Pentaxians that is something special.
I hope this lens is the thin edge of a DC wedge.
11-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #349
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
I wouldn't argue with this, but having had a very expensive Nikon lens' motor fail on me (repair i.r.o £350), I quite like the peace of mind that screw drive brings, so it's not without some advantages. As for unacceptably noisy, it rather depends on where one is using it, and for what purpose. For landscapes it's not normally a problem.

11-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #350
Pentaxian

Screw drive noise depends on the lens you are using. You can always use MF by the way. And what good is a silent lens when your shutter still makes a noise. Screw drive makes for cheaper, more reliable lenses. At least pentax hasn't ditched it on the cheaper models, like Nikon. Canon ditched their entire mount. That must have enraged their users.
11-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #351
Pentaxian

Perhaps Pentax could add a "silent mode" for screw drive AF? Instead of running the motor at full speed they could spin it at 1/3 speed or so, it would be slower but probably also more quiet, and perhaps more accurate?
11-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think that is essential for users to understand; asking for a A. fast, B. small and C. excellent performing lens across all apertures in one lens is impossible. We can claim only two at any time, not all three.

Which two you pick? That is called a compromise.
This is one I definitely agree with...reminds me of the hottrodder's axiom:
Fast, Reliable, Cheap...Pick 2

Back to this lens. The more I think of it, the more it kind of makes sense (if it is indeed WR).
In Ricoh's mind, they already have a high performing, expensive zoom in this range, the DA* 16-50mm. It is WR, fast (for a zoom) and silent.
Unfortunately, it has a really bad reputation on this board, which is a shame because it should be the cornerstone zoom in Pentax's lineup (much like the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 for FX).

11-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #353
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They got it right but...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
I agree that the primary issue is DC.
I have 1 lens with an inbuilt motor (Sigma) which I now use more than any other in public due just to noise.
I hate to admit that Canon got it right way back when they launched EOS, but it has paid off. Every Canon lens and every 3rd party lens for Canon is quiet but for we Pentaxians that is something special.
I hope this lens is the thin edge of a DC wedge.
they also got it gigantic. Their lenses are RIDICULOUSLY large compared to the Pentax equivalents. I like what Pentax is doing with this zoom, I just hope they can keep it small, which I personally love about their stuff when I see the ridiculous size of the Canon stuff.

Cheers,
Cameron
11-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I won't be selling my DA21 any time soon, but I might get this lens anyway.
+1.

If the 20-40 is really WR and as small as the leaked pictures show, I will find it very hard to resist.
11-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #355
Veteran Member

For the record, I have some Canon gear and they still use some micro motors on their smaller prime lenses: 50 f1.8, 28 f2.8, 35 f2, etc. and they are far from quiet and are in fact louder than my DA limited Pentax lenses.

David
11-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also think screwdrive is a great thing to have on all cameras and lenses. You still have the option of getting SDM on some lenses (or Sigma's, Tamron's equivalent)
11-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #357
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I quite like the peace of mind that screw drive brings
Except that the screwdriver motor can also fail, in which case maybe all your lens became MF lens; I agree tough that is more unlikely than motors inside the lens. Then again if you only have one body sending it for repair is worse than sending only a lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Screw drive makes for cheaper, more reliable lenses.
Now if only Pentax would make cheaper lens; but I hear you: imagine how more expensive they would be if they would also add a motor for each lens.
And btw Nikon ditched support for older lenses specifically because of the price: in-body motor would cost and increase size. Also because ALL their lens released since quite a long time have their own motors I see no problem with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
they also got it gigantic. Their lenses are RIDICULOUSLY large compared to the Pentax equivalents.
Hmm... could it be because they are putting more importance on IQ vs size? I don't think photographers of sport events want big lens just for showing off.

The 20-40 lens could be interesting but it will surely be expensive.
11-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooler13 Quote
Except that the screwdriver motor can also fail, in which case maybe all your lens became MF lens; I agree tough that is more unlikely than motors inside the lens. Then again if you only have one body sending it for repair is worse than sending only a lens.

Now if only Pentax would make cheaper lens; but I hear you: imagine how more expensive they would be if they would also add a motor for each lens.
And btw Nikon ditched support for older lenses specifically because of the price: in-body motor would cost and increase size. Also because ALL their lens released since quite a long time have their own motors I see no problem with that.

Hmm... could it be because they are putting more importance on IQ vs size? I don't think photographers of sport events want big lens just for showing off.

The 20-40 lens could be interesting but it will surely be expensive.
Nikon's without screwdrive (d3200/D5200) are bulkier than the pentax camera's with screwdrive. And it makes the lenses bulkier instead. Lenses can also be huge because of a high F-number. F1.2 will give you a lot of light and very narrow DOF. But if you are not looking for that, you do not need a huge lens. I am sure the IQ of the 20-40 will be great.
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #359
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nikon's without screwdrive (d3200/D5200) are bulkier than the pentax camera's with screwdrive. And it makes the lenses bulkier instead. Lenses can also be huge because of a high F-number. F1.2 will give you a lot of light and very narrow DOF. But if you are not looking for that, you do not need a huge lens. I am sure the IQ of the 20-40 will be great.
Agree about the bodies. I mostly meant to say weight rather than size. Anyway the Nikons you mentioned are roughly about the same in size as K-50 and K-30 but considerably lighter: see for yourself:
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

And about the size of the lens: agree with you that the in lens motor takes place and has weight but the "gigantic" lens of Canikon are mostly due to the fact that most of them are FF and as I said most of them put higher importance on IQ vs size.
Regarding the 20-40 I don't intend to buy it and not just because of its price but because I'll buy the Sigma 18-35.
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooler13 Quote
Agree about the bodies. I mostly meant to say weight rather than size. Anyway the Nikons you mentioned are roughly about the same in size as K-50 and K-30 but considerably lighter: see for yourself:
Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

And about the size of the lens: agree with you that the in lens motor takes place and has weight but the "gigantic" lens of Canikon are mostly due to the fact that most of them are FF and as I said most of them put higher importance on IQ vs size.
Regarding the 20-40 I don't intend to buy it and not just because of its price but because I'll buy the Sigma 18-35.
Don't forget the Nikons have a mainly plastic body and the pentax's have a aluminum frame. Also no pentaprism in the Nikons, but a pentamirror, which is lighter but also a darker and smaller vf. I am sure The Sigma is also a great lens but it has a different philosophy. It is aimed at low light and shallow DOF phototgraphy. But it is bulky and heavy (811 grams which is more than any of the camera's mentioned). So it is not a everyday lens, but this Limited Zoom is.