Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Won't a fast AND small 24 mm lens dictate an abandonment of K-mount?
Well, see, that's the problem with Ricoh's Vision. Unless they abandon the only thing that makes Pentax Pentax they can't do anything to satisfy some people. Some people should just go buy the camera that has the mount they need. But where's the fun in that? No more spreading FUD every time something good happens.

Of course, if Ricoh abandons K-mount the exact same people will be back, screaming, "I told you so!"

11-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #392
Pentaxian

Drip-proof (WR) is confirmed, DC too (see picture).

"Announced shortly. Released in mid-December"

Digital Camera Info - Images of & information on Ricoh (Pentax) "HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR" and "08 WIDE ZOOM"

11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I say that is a rather small and short lens hood for a lens of this focal range.
11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #394
Veteran Member

That's one thin ring to fit so many words

11-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #395
Veteran Member

I like it! It is truly Pentax quirky weirdness, and I'm happy that Ricoh follows this tradition. This lens has been on the designers shelf too long, good to see it finally released. Unfortunately it is not f/2.8 like the 20-40 was for the Pentax 110. And a 20 - 70 would perhaps making more sense (covering the DA 21, 35, 40 and 70 in one go) - but now this lens covers the DA 21, 35 and 40 in one go and that's fine with me. Pity about the f/4 but the lens seems compact enough and a beautiful craftsmanship.

But I don't like the red ring on it, should be green! And what's wrong with SMC-HD? Just plain "HD" is just plain st..id if you pardon my language.
But SMC-HD would work well and building upon Pentax great heritage.
11-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I like it! It is truly Pentax quirky weirdness, and I'm happy that Ricoh follows this tradition. This lens has been on the designers shelf too long, good to see it finally released. Unfortunately it is not f/2.8 like the 20-40 was for the Pentax 110. And a 20 - 70 would perhaps making more sense (covering the DA 21, 35, 40 and 70 in one go) - but now this lens covers the DA 21, 35 and 40 in one go and that's fine with me. Pity about the f/4 but the lens seems compact enough and a beautiful craftsmanship.

But I don't like the red ring on it, should be green! And what's wrong with SMC-HD? Just plain "HD" is just plain st..id if you pardon my language.
But SMC-HD would work well and building upon Pentax great heritage.
I think because HD is a different process of coating than SMC, so calling it SMC would be technically inaccurate.
11-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So a defense for Pentax not having a fast 24 (being dedicated to APSc) is that options from other makers are available, when that's the complaint in the first place? Does this seem convoluted? It should, because it is. It's thus far the most convoluted rationalization for Pentax's lack of vision I've seen so far.
I don't see a need to defend pentax. They've taken their stance. The current company direction is high quality, APSC, WR and compact (and slow). The K-7-style body size, this lens, the rest of the DA lim line, the new flashes, and the 60-250 is proof of it.

If their vision dont match with yours, the answer is to buy another camera that does, in the end of the day they're just tools. Will you wait until your favourite brand of drill bit comes in the size that you need to drill a hole?

After the news of this lens, I'm rather sure that a 24mm prime is not coming anytime soon, if ever. Perhaps it will come when FF Pentax is out in the market for a couple of years. (If FF is really in 2014, I suspect they'll just put the FA 35 back in production)

Also, released mid december, just in time for Christmas I'm not sure when I'll pick up my copy though, I feel DA 15 should have higher priority...

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-05-2013 at 08:14 AM.
11-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #398
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Drip-proof (WR) is confirmed, DC too (see picture).

"Announced shortly. Released in mid-December"

Digital Camera Info - Images of & information on Ricoh (Pentax) "HD PENTAX-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR" and "08 WIDE ZOOM"
Yes! Now, prize...
11-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The FA*24 was f/2.0
And large. I owned one.
11-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #400

I think the WR was a smart move. I wonder what the price will be.
11-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Yes! Now, prize...
North of US$ 911 .
11-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #402
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I don't see a need to defend pentax. They've taken their stance. The current company direction is APSC, WR and compact (and slow). The K-7-style body size, this lens, the rest of the DA lim line, and the 60-250 is proof of it.

If their vision dont match with yours, the answer is to buy another camera that does, in the end of the day they're just tools. Will you wait until your favourite brand of drill bit comes in the size that you need to drill a hole?

After the news of this lens, I'm rather sure that a 24mm prime is not coming anytime soon, if ever. Perhaps it will come when FF Pentax is out in the market for a couple of years. (If FF is really in 2014, I suspect they'll just put the FA 35 back in production)
I think your arguments are not making any real sense.

And the FA35 had a run just last year. It's not "out of production" as much as it is like any other product- "not made continuously". And it's horrifically expensive in Europe, as I've posted before about.

And there we go with the FF argument coming into it as a defense. Bizarre.
11-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I think your arguments are not making any real sense.

And the FA35 had a run just last year. It's not "out of production" as much as it is like any other product- "not made continuously". And it's horrifically expensive in Europe, as I've posted before about.

And there we go with the FF argument coming into it as a defense. Bizarre.
Can you please point out where it doesnt make sense? I'm not being an apologist, I'm saying that Pentax doesn't make the lens you want and probably won't, so the solution is to buy something that will do what you want today, so you can take pictures today, rather than playing the waiting game for something that might not ever come.

There's no need to wait for Pentax, just do it :x Imo we live in the golden age of photographic tools, there are so many options to choose to do the job, for cheaper than ever before.

I stand corrected as per FA 35, I just heard that it was discontinued a while back (And if 24/1.4 does come I suspect it will be more expensive than FA 35)

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-05-2013 at 08:34 AM.
11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #404
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Can you please point out where it doesnt make sense? I'm not being an apologist, I'm saying that Pentax doesn't make the lens you want and probably won't, so the solution is to buy something that will do what you want today, so you can take pictures today, rather than playing the waiting game for something that might not ever come.

There's no need to wait for Pentax, just do it :x Imo we live in the golden age of photographic tools, there are so many options to choose to do the job, for cheaper than ever before.

I stand corrected as per FA 35, I just heard that it was discontinued a while back (And if 24/1.4 does come I suspect it will be more expensive than FA 35)
The premise I made was made several posts ago and addressed in the rebuttals.

I am also not one married to a system. And this is precisely, as said several times, the problems Ricoh will face with its Pentax design pipelines.

We're talking about the lack of vision and a schizophrenic direction they have, which seems to extend to the fanbois.
11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #405
Pentaxian

That's harsh, given that Ricoh Imaging barely started working towards their vision - and before that, Pentax was unable to implement theirs, thanks to Hoya.