Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #541

That's why most folks bought the Rokinon ;-)

11-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #542
Veteran Member

I don't know why anyone thought it would be cheaper. It's cheaper than any 2 of the HD Limiteds together as it is, while covering the range of 3 of them, and adding stuff that none of them have, namely WR and DC.

Not saying I like the price, but given the current pricing of the HD Limiteds (which are all overpriced IMO), it's to be expected.
11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
It's all about the optics dude!
17-50mm outperforms the Pentax 16-50mm
90mm macro is well respected by all
70-200mm f2.8 is actually quite a good lens (it's not perfect but decent), albeit screw driven..try buying a decent 70-200mm f2.8 for under £600

Sure I grant you Tamron build is well it's "ok" for what is it and the price reflects that. Limited lenses have superb build, but how rough do you treat your gear?
I suspect quite a lot of Pentax users buy Tamron lenses, because they can actually afford them!

And most (not all of them granted) have nothing to be ashamed of optics wise either.
I mean we do take photos, so the lenses do matter..good optics and fair prices are a win win for the buyer
You're still missing the point, it is usable capability built in the smallest, most discrete form factor with higher levels of tactile return than the majority of 'normal' lenses on the market. The Limiteds are also fairly well respected for their optics, with some having higher reputations than others granted. I predict that the Limited zoom will return a better image over its given range with better micro contrast, better Oof rendering, colour rendering and transition plus completely superior flare handling. The Tamron will probably win while being measured against a test chart or picking out brick grain at 200÷ from a wall picture but those that did not have the patience to wait and save some more will always wonder...If the Tamron or Sigma gave me this, what would the Limited be like?
11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #544
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, what this price says to me is:

"Wait till next year when it is on sale and get it as a bundle with the k-3 to save about $400"

11-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's why most folks bought the Rokinon ;-)
Pick the Zeiss up, then pick up the Rokinon, you'll understand part of it then. Next take a couple of portraits at f/1.4 and print off a couple of A3's, more understanding. Now try some pixel peeping at high contrast areas or sharp colour changes, the penny should have dropped. Now get hold of an FA77 and laugh and wonder why you ever bothered looking at a MF 85
11-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #546

People's needs vary. I know the limited concept is very high build quality, compact size etc. As for WR it's surprising Ricoh didn't make the updated HD versions WR (prices went up quite a lot on many)
Everyone has their own set of priorities..and personally I would not pay over £800 for a WR zoom that covers a less than ideal range. If you need the lens speed there are lots of alternatives, if you want small size a prime has that covered or for that outlay several primes.

I agree you can't have it all, but this is a bit of an odd choice let's be honest.
We've no idea how the lens performs, so we shall have to wait and see. People don't really buy a 20-40mm f2.8 -f4 for buttery bokeh, and it's true the 17-50mm isn't loved by all (but it's subjective)
I can put money down now though that the Tamron will outperform the Pentax at 50mm f2.8, and at the 17mm mark too For obvious reasons!
As for the Zeiss v cheaper MF lens argument

Are we suggesting you can't get great shots off a non limited lens? Because I've seen some fab shots off that MF lens

!
11-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #547
Veteran Member

As for the Zeiss v cheaper MF lens argument

Are we suggesting you can't get great shots off a non limited lens? Because I've seen some fab shots off that MF lens
I think you've answered your own question!

People's needs vary.

11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It had better be an absolutely amazing lens with lightning fast AF.
Let me re-phrase this. This lens had better be an absolutely frigg'n amazing lens with lightning fast AF for $1,000.00.
11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #549
Veteran Member

I'm trying to find the posts from Pentax users saying "please Pentax we need a 20-40mm f2.8-f4 limited zoom" I've yet to find one, but can find plenty of other sensible lens requests
I dont think very many people requested DA 15, DFA 100 WR, and DA 60-250 either. Those now become three of pentax's best lenses.

Releasing lenses with wtf specs is a pentax speciality, I think it's kind of charming. Following what the masses want, in monochrome's word is very "unpentaxy"

Canon won't release a 20-40/2.8-4 that's this small because they can't. They dont have a single zoom lens this small that performs well.
11-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #550
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Abacus, I searched a little bit and seems like Fuji and Sony have zero weather sealed lenses, and the m43 as a whole has four (three zooms and one prime). Is there really that many weather sealed lenses? If there are some that I missed, let me know.
You need to look forward instead of merely looking at the present. Without really looking at this market in depth I know of 3 manufacturers that have smaller (sensor and body) WR cameras out. Nikon 1, Olympus and Panasonic. Maybe they don't have a lot of released lenses (yet) but these have closed the gap to DSLR quality and they are a more practical option for active types that are concerned about weight/bulk. Imo Pentax doesn't compete with the pro level wannabees and in the next 5 years its compact system philosophy is going to be under intense pressure as more mirrorless options are introduced. They won't match the quality of the Pentax system but they are becoming really good.

You also list out the available WR Pentax lenses and they are large (16-50, 50-135, 60-250) or kit level (quite good for what they are) lenses. The DFA100 and DA*55 are sweet but they still are bulky lenses even if they are quite small for what they offer.

Regardless this is the lens that I want for what I do. they only other one that I want is a 25-30mm f2.8 (staying small) WR limited.
11-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #551
Veteran Member

I feel that they are way off the mark charging this much. I hope it has absolutely mind-blowing image quality. 40mm f4. Wow.
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
You need to look forward instead of merely looking at the present. Without really looking at this market in depth I know of 3 manufacturers that have smaller (sensor and body) WR cameras out. Nikon 1, Olympus and Panasonic. Maybe they don't have a lot of released lenses (yet) but these have closed the gap to DSLR quality and they are a more practical option for active types that are concerned about weight/bulk. Imo Pentax doesn't compete with the pro level wannabees and in the next 5 years its compact system philosophy is going to be under intense pressure as more mirrorless options are introduced. They won't match the quality of the Pentax system but they are becoming really good.
I see, I think I understand where you're coming from. I do hope you're right as more competition can only mean good things I hope the other manufacturers can come out with Weather sealed lenses faster than pentax. We had our first affordable WR way before anyone (K10D, 2006) and yet the first cheap sealed lens, 18-55WR (2009) takes another 3 years to build :/

Pentax is already moving in the right direction with this lens imo (except the price *cries*). I really want one.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.
11-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #553
Veteran Member

It really is a nice looking lens. But the price is a complete downer. I'll wait for the reviews, but I don't think I'll be selling my FA 20-35/4 any time soon to get this. Pentax needs to be more competitive with their pricing.
11-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #554

I cannot see how they could release a limited zoom for less then this. It's a more complex design and build, with a HEAP more features (dc and wr) AND faster then the primes on the wide end and yet it's not enough? Small light and super high quality isn't stuff to be looked over imo.
11-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #555
Veteran Member

You won't really have a clue about this lens until you see a test or two and use it yourself. What's to say this lens isn't pin sharp wide open and across all FL's? The MTF score might be flat as a tack for all you know.