Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #736
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The 15mm is known for its incredible resistance to flare, isn't it? But change the coatings in a lens more prone to flare, and you might see a difference
The discussion about coatings started with the HD 20-40 vs. smc 16-50. Even with the HD coating, I'm not sure if the 20-40 could possibly match the 15mm's (HD or smc) flare resistance.
How are you able to determine that, Alex?

Have you used the 15mm, by the way?

11-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #737
Pentaxian

Are you still going on with that? I said "I'm not sure if...", didn't I? so it's not something I determined to be true.
11-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #738
Banned

Are you still going on with that? I said "I'm not sure if...", didn't I? so it's not something I determined to be true.
So then why say it?

It seems odd to have posted that at all, then when asked about it, you basically say that the post meant nothing at all.

I'm just trying to understand where your experience with all these Pentax products come from and what your area of usage is because one area where things may excel may not be right for others. In years of reading your authoritarian posts, I've not yet seen one pic, one gallery, one example, absolutely nothing. No equipment list, nothing. Nothing beyond what appears to be reading spec sheets and hearing things on the internet.

That's why I'm trying to understand and put your posts in perspective to see where you're coming from in your arguments, strong recommendations, admonishments, defenses, and so on. And it seems even more strange your reaction to being asked to post your pictures.

To be fair, you've broken some of your impartiality by already defending a lens that's not even out, not tested significantly on the street and by consumers, and merely has data available on it. So you're recommending it based on spec sheets?
11-09-2013, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So then why say it?

It seems odd to have posted that at all, then when asked about it, you basically say that the post meant nothing at all.

I'm just trying to understand where your experience with all these Pentax products come from and what your area of usage is because one area where things may excel may not be right for others. In years of reading your authoritarian posts, I've not yet seen one pic, one gallery, one example, absolutely nothing. No equipment list, nothing. Nothing beyond what appears to be reading spec sheets and hearing things on the internet.

That's why I'm trying to understand and put your posts in perspective to see where you're coming from in your arguments, strong recommendations, admonishments, defenses, and so on. And it seems even more strange your reaction to being asked to post your pictures.

To be fair, you've broken some of your impartiality by already defending a lens that's not even out, not tested significantly on the street and by consumers, and merely has data available on it. So you're recommending it based on spec sheets?

What the hell is your problem? Take this "discussion" to private messaging, please. I am getting seriously tired of this.

11-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #740
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even with the HD coating, I'm not sure if the 20-40 could possibly match the 15mm's (HD or smc) flare resistance.
The DA 15 has 6 groups in the optical formula, while the zoom has 8.
So indeed, we can't expect the zoom to be quite as resistant as the DA 15 HD,
unless other factors in the design prevail.
11-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #741
Pentaxian

Let's please all remember what it says at the top of the page:

Friendly Pentax Camera Forum!
11-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #742
Veteran Member

The camera forum with the drama of a middle school!

I kid, this is an awesome forum, but sometimes people get way to obsessed about being right on the internet (I've never done that, oh no....)

Trying to correct everyone that's wrong on the internet is an impossible battle. Could we go back to whining about FF now?

11-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #743
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rorschach Quote
What the hell is your problem? Take this "discussion" to private messaging, please. I am getting seriously tired of this.
I'm trying to understand where his recommendations and opinions are coming from. Singling one out will not make anything smoother if you perceive an issue. I'm not attacking Alex, but if this is to be a helpful community, with a focus on good information being passed around, it also helps to understand where the person giving it is coming from. On the other forum, Alex has several years of postings without a single photo ever being posted and now he's even giving advice and recommendations of products not even on the streets yet.

Let's say if he wasn't impartial/personally invested in Pentax for a second, wouldn't it also be of interest to know if he, in fact, is actually using unreleased products and has insider information and connections?
11-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #744
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
sometimes people get way to obsessed about being right on the internet
Considering that was just posted on the internet, it's amazingly right!
11-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #745
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Considering that was just posted on the internet, it's amazingly right!
The first step is admitting you have a problem, I'm on the road to recovery
11-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #746

the zoom has 8
oh oh, only 8 groups having 9 elements? that's very mean for a zoom, given that even the kit's 18-55 has two more (11 elements). Further, the 20-30 doesn't seem to have even a single asperical element? specs only talk about ED.

On one hand, this makes production costs very cheap (much cheaper than the 18-55 kit) (assuming that lens elements esp. asphericals are the primary cost drivers), but on the other hand, having too few lens elements in a zoom usually introduces optical quirks.

E.g. the 18-135 also has too few lens elements in relation to its zoom range as well, and consequently it is flawed (its edges are blurred at all apertures through half of its zoom range).

I'm afraid of the 20-30 may well have similar or other flaws, as well? A lack of asphericals may weaken the short end, possibly. A decent test (e.g. photozone) will be inevitable.

Thanks 'Gray' that you shared someone's comparison shot, which impressively reveals the superiority of SMC over SD, which doesn't help SD exitement neither really. Not talking about stars (they are a matter of personal preferences), but SMC's highlights are so much cleaner and better defined, where SD's look somewhat dirty and less appealing. The violett ghosting flares are identical, maybe SMC is slightly better here, as well?

If Ricoh had decided to release the compact 18-55 in a Limited quality edition (slim metal housing, tight tolerances, and not only with a choice between black vs silver, but also SMC vs SD), I would have been a lucky man!

Last edited by Frater; 11-09-2013 at 08:27 AM.
11-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #747
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So now rounded aperture blades are lame all of a sudden. Maybe some people should get a star burst filter.
The shorter the focal length, the more I like straight blades.
11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #748
Pentaxian

The DA 15 has 6 groups in the optical formula, while the zoom has 8.
So indeed, we can't expect the zoom to be quite as resistant as the DA 15 HD,
unless other factors in the design prevail.
This is exactly my reasoning, this and the excellent flare resistance of the 15mm.
The zoom might be able to match a less flare resistant prime, but the 15mm? Doubtful, but still I think it should do pretty well.

I'm also very curious what they were able to achieve with "only" 9 elements, one ED and one SLD.
11-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #749
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The shorter the focal length, the more I like straight blades.

As opposed to gay blades?
11-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #750
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So then why say it?

I understood Kunzite's original comment to mean that the benefits of the HD coating may not be that obvious with a lens that is resistant to flare in the first place. Makes sense to me.

You seem to have to an (not so hidden) agenda with your posts. I don't believe you are gaining many points.