Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #871

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I don't know. I have both the 17-70 and the 16-50, and I have been wondering that maybe, just maybe these subjective quality differences have more to do with how DA* or Limited lenses are perceived than with actual lens performance.

It is actually quite similar in the world of high-end audio. Expensive cd-players, for example, often have extremely solid build quality etc. But will you really be able to tell the difference between a $50 cd-player and a $5000 cd-player? I doubt it. And in the end, that's all that matters, right?

I can only speak for myself, but I would never consider 20-40mm a landscape range. The 12-24, sure. And I shot some landscapes with the 16-50 too, so that also fits the bill to me.

Now you're turning things around. If you like it, go buy it. I don't care. I don't like it, and I've explained why. If you don't agree with me, fine. Make your own choices, and so will I, and everybody's happy.

But if you can write why you like it so much, why can't I write what my thoughts are? They are just my thoughts, no reason to feel offended or anything.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

R

11-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #872

Photos: Gallery
This lens didn't interest me at all until I tried it out at the camera store today. The pentax rep had a silver one on a K-3.

That zoom ring is really cool! I really like the way the lens handles, just put your finger into one of the indentations and rotate. I can't comment very much on the image quality because I was only able to look at the images on the rear screen, but the oof blur during close focusing looked nice to me. Also, the lens hood looks like it would be pretty worthless because it is so short.

I use my 16-45 so rarely, I just don't see myself using this lens very often. It is VERY tempting, however ...
11-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #873
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you're turning things around. If you like it, go buy it. I don't care. I don't like it, and I've explained why. If you don't agree with me, fine. Make your own choices, and so will I, and everybody's happy.

But if you can write why you like it so much, why can't I write what my thoughts are? They are just my thoughts, no reason to feel offended or anything.
I have no problem with people sharing their thoughts about why they aren't interested in this lens. I completely understand why some don't want this lens. The problem is that there are many in this thread that are claiming the lens is useless because it doesn't have the aperture or range that they want.
My thoughts from a few pages ago

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I think you have missed the entire point of the DA Limiteds. People don't buy the limiteds because they are fast. People buy the limiteds because they are tiny and they take great photos. That Sigma is a huge lens. Nothing against it but most of the time I don't want to lug around a heavy lens. If you do then it is great that there are multiple options available to us.
11-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Changing (non-WR) primes in the rain is not fun.
Good point, + any lens change is hazardous in severe conditions.

11-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #875
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't know. I have both the 17-70 and the 16-50, and I have been wondering that maybe, just maybe these subjective quality differences have more to do with how DA* or Limited lenses are perceived than with actual lens performance.

It is actually quite similar in the world of high-end audio. Expensive cd-players, for example, often have extremely solid build quality etc. But will you really be able to tell the difference between a $50 cd-player and a $5000 cd-player? I doubt it. And in the end, that's all that matters, right?
That's nothing but spreading FUD to try make your point.
11-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #876
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I have no problem with people sharing their thoughts about why they aren't interested in this lens. I completely understand why some don't want this lens. The problem is that there are many in this thread that are claiming the lens is useless because it doesn't have the aperture or range that they want.
My thoughts from a few pages ago
I think you always have to see things in context. It is useless - to them. They cannot think for other people, and neither can you, so they post their own opinions, but they are opinions and not facts.

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'm just going to ignore this comment because I just posted my thoughts.
11-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #877

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I had to look up the meaning of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Do you think that people's choices (or a product's commercial sucess) are really influenced by this kind of forum discussions?
I seriously hope not…

R

11-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #878
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you always have to see things in context. It is useless - to them. They cannot think for other people, and neither can you, so they post their own opinions, but they are opinions and not facts.
Then you aren't reading my comments. I have never said that this was the perfect lens for anyone. I have only pointed out why it's a good lens for some while people like you say it's a pointless lens for everyone.

I will repeat this one last time: It's nice that we have so many different options to buy from Pentax and 3rd party lenses.
11-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #879
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iberia Quote
I had to look up the meaning of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Do you think that people's choices (or a product's commercial sucess) are really influenced by this kind of forum discussions?
I seriously hope not…

R
If not there's not a single reason of this forum to be nor for us to be present here.
I still stand by my statement.
11-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #880
Pentaxian

Any new links we got for some unofficial review about this lens? How about from Pentax Singapore? :-)
11-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #881
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Then you aren't reading my comments. I have never said that this was the perfect lens for anyone. I have only pointed out why it's a good lens for some while people like you say it's a pointless lens for everyone.

I will repeat this one last time: It's nice that we have so many different options to buy from Pentax and 3rd party lenses.
Apparently you aren't reading my comments either. Good day.
11-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #882
JPT
Pentaxian

Japanese shops are now listing this lens as available from December 6th. Overseas availability has been very close to Japanese release dates recently. We should see more samples and reviews soon!
11-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #883
Veteran Member

Now I've played with the lens and buildwise it felt equal to the Zeiss lenses (not counting Otus!) on the table next to Pentax/Ricoh, amazing. It actually is much lighter and smaller than it appears on pics so I was surprised, it was way closer to other limiteds than DA* for sure.
11-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #884
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Now I've played with the lens and buildwise it felt equal to the Zeiss lenses (not counting Otus!) on the table next to Pentax/Ricoh, amazing. It actually is much lighter and smaller than it appears on pics so I was surprised, it was way closer to other limiteds than DA* for sure.
Well, I'm a sucker for the feel of a Zeiss so you got my attention.
11-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #885
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Japanese shops are now listing this lens as available from December 6th. Overseas availability has been very close to Japanese release dates recently. We should see more samples and reviews soon!
I collected my K-3 Silver yesterday and the shopowner said that the lens would be in in the first half off december.