Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #961
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That is exactly what he's saying, no stretching required. If you don't "get" this lens, then don't buy it. Apparently, not many folks feel that there is much of an "issue" with this lens as the big retailers pre-sold all of their initial shipments.
Gotta be a reason why this thread is already over 64 pages though...

12-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #962
Veteran Member

It's the first new limited in a long time. There's gonna be a lot of buzz.
12-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #963
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
This thread would be a long read, that's for sure. You might be able to get the gist by scanning through it and reading a few posts along the way!

The lens promises a special combination of desirable characteristics, apparently not found in others. Early reports from users - some of whom have received their copy recently - are expected and should confirm the optical qualities.

- Craig
I have no trouble seeing the attraction of this lens -- small size, high IQ, great build quality, WR -- but I do struggle to weigh up these characteristics relative to the forthcoming Sigma 18-35 (brilliant IQ, super fast, cheaper, but big and heavy and not WR). I do want a wide-to-normal walk-around zoom with WR, and am not satisfied with the DA 18-55 WR or attracted by the DA* 16-50, but am I willing to forgo so much for the size and WR? I honestly don't know. I'll wait for the reviews.
12-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have no trouble seeing the attraction of this lens -- small size, high IQ, great build quality, WR -- but I do struggle to weigh up these characteristics relative to the forthcoming Sigma 18-35 (brilliant IQ, super fast, cheaper, but big and heavy and not WR). I do want a wide-to-normal walk-around zoom with WR, and am not satisfied with the DA 18-55 WR or attracted by the DA* 16-50, but am I willing to forgo so much for the size and WR? I honestly don't know. I'll wait for the reviews.
I have no trouble seeing the appeal of the Sigma. It looks to be an outstanding lens. The size is just too much of a turn-off for me, though. I just don't have enough of a need for that FL/speed to be willing to deal with something that big. The Pentax size/speed/FL equation just works better for me. The fact that, IMO, the 20-40 is now the sexiest-looking lens in the Pentax stable is just icing.

12-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #965
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I have no trouble seeing the appeal of the Sigma. It looks to be an outstanding lens. The size is just too much of a turn-off for me, though. I just don't have enough of a need for that FL/speed to be willing to deal with something that big. The Pentax size/speed/FL equation just works better for me. The fact that, IMO, the 20-40 is now the sexiest-looking lens in the Pentax stable is just icing.
Precisely! Everyone will have to make that judgement for themselves, based on their specific needs. Neither choice would be "wrong" in absolute terms. Good luck to everyone wresting with this decision. May you all be delighted with your selection.
12-05-2013, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #966
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reckon the DA 20-40 limited will be a kick-arse outdoor walk-around lens, but I may end up getting the Sigma 18-35/1.8 as well, as I do quite a bit of low-light concert photography. I have been very happy with the DA*16-50, but the extra speed of the Sigma has its attractions. On the down side is its reportedly poor flare control, which could be an issue with stage lights.

I don't see the two as competitors for the same market.
12-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #967
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think you're right, despite most everyone trying to pit them against each other.

12-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #968
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely right. Just because 2 lenses overlap in FL doesn't mean they are interchangeable. I have a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and a Chevrolet Spark. Both will do 75 on the interstate. That doesn't mean they serve the same purpose.
12-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #969
Veteran Member

Totally agree. In my mind, the main competitors the 20-40 is up against are the 18-135 (WR, better range, not that much bigger) and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (faster, not that much bigger). I think the IQ better be ahead of both those two lenses, or this lens won't do much. If I wanted a big wide zoom like the Sigma 18-35, the DA 16-50 is already available, and is a much more likely competitor with that lens.
12-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #970
Veteran Member

I think the biggest competitor is the 16-50 due to being the second higher grade all-weather normal zoom available for Pentax.
12-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #971
Veteran Member

I have the DA* 16-50mm but I'd love this DA 20-40mm Limited. Alas, I'm finished paying $1,000 for lenses. But it does look like a great piece of glass.
12-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #972
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I think the biggest competitor is the 16-50 due to being the second higher grade all-weather normal zoom available for Pentax.
The DA* 16-50 weighs twice as much and is 50% longer than the 20-40. The Sigma is almost twice as long and weighs 3 times as much! To me, there are big lenses, that I carry when I have to, and small lenses, that I want to carry. The DA 20-40 fits into the upper end of the small lens range. The other two - way to big to compete with the DA 20-40 for my "walk around lens" dollars, anyway.
12-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #973
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've already had the 16-50 and consider it to be an "event" lens, though I eventually sold it and got the Sigma 24-70 because that range actually suits me better for events. They're both pretty big, though, with the Sigma actually being a bit bigger, so I don't really think of the 20-40 as an alternative to either of them.

The 20-40 will be, for me, the lighter, less obtrusive and less intimidating choice. Should be just the ticket for my wife's hoity-toity office Christmas party at her boss's manse in a couple of weeks. May need some bounce-flash. Not sure what the lighting will be like. Will also probably pull duty at family Christmas celebrations. Then it will be my street-shooting special, which is my primary intention for it. I've done very little street-shooting but I'm determined to give it a solid effort over the next year or so at least to see if I have any aptitude at all for it. Probably not, but I at least want to try it with some appropriate tools.
12-06-2013, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #974

Am I first!?

Yes... I have one. I visited Yodobashi camera here in Sendai and picked up a black one. First impressions are as you would assume: well built, classy and LIGHT. I must admit that the focusing is not super fast and it does seem to hunt. Please understand that this is on a K5IIs and in very dim indoor light. If I get time, I will post a few quick shots vs the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 in the daylight tomorrow. It really is a great size, especially when compared to the Sigma 18-35mm which I played with on a D7100. That lens is big, heavy and draws far too much attention. Anyways, I will get some shots up as soon as I can.
12-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #975
Pentaxian

You lucky guy.
Mine has shipped from Japan yesterday...