Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #976
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
It's the first new limited in a long time. There's gonna be a lot of buzz.
Just like David Bowie's new album, so many people where waiting it just had to be awesome....

I think this is a great lens that fill a function.

The 20-40mm Ltd for street and who knows maybe next the 40-80mm Ltd for portrait.

12-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #977
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine (silver version) was shipped yesterday. I expect it on monday.
12-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #978
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cwood Quote
I
So what I'm curious - what is the big draw to this lens?
That it doesn't draw you down like the Sigma!
12-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #979
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Just like David Bowie's new album, so many people where waiting it just had to be awesome....
The 20-40mm Ltd for street and who knows maybe next the 40-80mm Ltd for portrait.
that would be a nice one as well
we can only dream...............

12-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't see the two as competitors for the same market.
Having a DA15 and a DA70, for me personally, it will be a competition between the "sigma 30 1.4/pentax DA35ltd 2.8" and "DA20-40".
And it will be a though call.

Probably ending up with both...
12-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still struggling with this focal lengths you know. It is just that all limited lens have been prime only, and I thought they were operating on certain set of morals and principle and aesthetics and so on. Then this. If the range is wider, I can understand a bit more in that the footwork just may not be able to duplicate that wide range. But, 20-40 . . . . I am better off just moving around, which makes the act of shooting that much fun for me. Zooming in and out is not the same as walking up and away . . . . for me anyway.
12-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #982
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm looking for the IQ shootout between the DA 20-40 ltd and the FA 20-35 (which I have). I'd like the DA's WR for carefree hiking (no need to bring the backup DA 18-55 WR for the FA). The FA is gonna do that FF thing, in the promised future, while the DA is APS-only. And the FA is free, while the DA is $$$.

Do I want FF, like back in the film days, with my 3 amigos and FA 20 performing in the way that they were designed, or would the DA 20-40 ltd, along with my DA 12-24 (or a DA 15) and those amigos, make up my APS standard kit, with FF being relegated to the past?

Lots of uncertainty for me, given the current Pentax lineup and the rumored future. It's a good thing for my wallet that I'm not an early adopter. A K3 for me is stuck, at the moment, on the introduction of the K-unicorn FF. Then my APS/FF quandary can be resolved (yeah, riiiight) . Or maybe spring 2014 for a K3. But my K5 does such a great job now. And all my software knows about K5. No upgrades needed.

Oh, and the Sigma 18-35 is just too heavy for my kit. I've really appreciated the size/weight of Pentax for several decades. If I were to relax the weight restrictions for my kit, I'd be talking Canikon. My photog friends have their 10-ton kits. Not gonna do it.

So simple, eh?

12-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #983

I bought and returned the 29-40mm already!

Hello all, this is my first post on this informative forum. I felt I needed to share my limited experience with this lens as there is know real first hand info on it yet. After long deliberation I decided to purchase a K3, Hd 15mm, Hd 70mm and the new 20-40 ltd zoom. My perfect travel package.
I did a quick non scientific test to see how to sharp my new lenses where. A laid a news paper on the floor under my tripod, SR off and used the built in flash ( I told you it wasn't a scientific test!). I'm very impressed with the 70mm ltd. its impressive how sharp it is wide open, even better stopped down. I then did the same with the new Ltd Zoom. I shot wide open at 20 mm, 30mm and at 40mm then did the same @ f4, f5.6, f8,f11.
What I found was this thing is really soft at the edges through out the FL and at different apertures YUCK!. The centre of the image was not bad though. I was disappointed as this lens is not cheap! It seems very well made and the WR is very attractive. However if you need a WR zoom of 20-40mm and you are willing to put up with its soft edges then great, but image quality is every thing to me so I sadly sent it back to the shop. I bought the Hd 21 mm and the Hd 35mm macro to complete my set of HD lenses. 21mm gets better at f4
Maybe I had a dud and its a great lens, but from my initial findings I don't think it's a great lens and especially at that huge price! My advice to anyone thinking about buying this lens would be wait for a proper review from DXO or similar or other people's experiences.
Like many people I was really looking forward to owning this lens but IMO its not worth the money

Sorry to put a downer on owning this lens and I hope I'm not out of line sharing my disappointment. I love my primes they seem great! I'm of on holiday next week and I can't wait to put my new Pentax gear through its paces.

Regards
12-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by primetastic Quote
Hello all, this is my first post on this informative forum. I felt I needed to share my limited experience with this lens as there is know real first hand info on it yet. After long deliberation I decided to purchase a K3, Hd 15mm, Hd 70mm and the new 20-40 ltd zoom. My perfect travel package.
I did a quick non scientific test to see how to sharp my new lenses where. A laid a news paper on the floor under my tripod, SR off and used the built in flash ( I told you it wasn't a scientific test!). I'm very impressed with the 70mm ltd. its impressive how sharp it is wide open, even better stopped down. I then did the same with the new Ltd Zoom. I shot wide open at 20 mm, 30mm and at 40mm then did the same @ f4, f5.6, f8,f11.
What I found was this thing is really soft at the edges through out the FL and at different apertures YUCK!. The centre of the image was not bad though. I was disappointed as this lens is not cheap! It seems very well made and the WR is very attractive. However if you need a WR zoom of 20-40mm and you are willing to put up with its soft edges then great, but image quality is every thing to me so I sadly sent it back to the shop. I bought the Hd 21 mm and the Hd 35mm macro to complete my set of HD lenses. 21mm gets better at f4
Maybe I had a dud and its a great lens, but from my initial findings I don't think it's a great lens and especially at that huge price! My advice to anyone thinking about buying this lens would be wait for a proper review from DXO or similar or other people's experiences.
Like many people I was really looking forward to owning this lens but IMO its not worth the money

Sorry to put a downer on owning this lens and I hope I'm not out of line sharing my disappointment. I love my primes they seem great! I'm of on holiday next week and I can't wait to put my new Pentax gear through its paces.

Regards
The samples we've already seen didn't show this to be the case at all. With many folks getting this lens over the next few days, myself included, we'll know more very soon.
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #985
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
But, 20-40 . . . . I am better off just moving around
probably i'll stick with a prime in between DA15 and DA70...
12-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #986
Pentaxian

Regards
lovely troll
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@primetastic Others have barely received their Limited Zooms, but you've already had it, tested it, returned it, and bought replacements...do I have that right?
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #988
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I found was this thing is really soft at the edges through out the FL and at different apertures
I don't think you are out of line sharing your experience with the lens. However, would you please post several images, with links to full-scale files?

Thanks!

- Craig
12-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #989
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
@primetastic Others have barely received their Limited Zooms, but you've already had it, tested it, returned it, and bought replacements...do I have that right?
And tested the replacements.
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #990

Hello all Im not a troll, I've just spent almost £3000 on new pentax gear and proud of it. Yes I receive it on Thursday evening, the wife took it back to the shop today and came back with the 21ltd and the 35mm ltd to replaced the zoom. I really hope I just had a dud and it really is a good lens for everyone else's sake.