Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #1156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
Let's try to analyze this for a bit. Why would I buy the 20-40 over the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-35/1.8? For the WR? If I get into a situation where WR might help I have more important things to worry about: my pictures. Getting a decent shot when rain or salt spray has covered the front element is close to nothing.
More likely it would be very close to $$$ for a new lens without WR, at least in this part of the world. I was caught in a terrific downpour this afternoon but as I had a fully weather-sealed kit I wasn't too worried. Had I had to pack my camera away, I'd likely have missed the amazing rainbow which appeared immediately afterwards. If you live in a wet climate or shoot in spray-laden places, weather-sealing is almost obligatory and not an optional extra, imho. YMMV, etc.

01-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #1157

To add to what mecrox said, I think someone may also buy the 20-40 for the ergonomics of the lens. When I tried the lens out, I really enjoyed using the zoom ring because of how it's designed.

In my opinion, there are always trade offs with a zoom. I think that the 20-40 has a unique set of trade offs that will cause people to choose it over the heavier sigma and the cheap feeling, but high image quality Tamron.
01-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #1158
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whatever. Two years ago I wondered if Pentax would exit the US market altogether. A year ago I wondered if Pentax would survive. I don't any more.

Pentax products are neither better nor worse than other brands. They're different, and challenging to contrast fairly with other brands even for people who want to be fair.

I'm hardly a Fanboy. I've criticized Pentax business strategy in the USA many, many times. I've also written that new management is systematically changing those business strategies.

Yet on this Forum every single thread is about why Pentax isn't Canon or Nikon or Sony or less expensive or FF, as illustrated by posters who want Pentax to be just another Canon or Nikon or Sony. That just isn't going to happen. it isn't. Anyone who wants CaNikon or Sony products or prices can get it right now - and there's nothing wrong with that.

I really don't write about gear much - I really don't know much about modern gear anyway. I write about Ricoh and Pentax. I am sort of a lone voice with my "Plan" and intermediate term and be patient stuff. Funny thing that so few have taken the time to think about whether there is some substance to what I write.

The story isn't about a Pentax survival strategy. It is about how they're going to double their market share in the next 5 - 7 years, which I firmly believe they will do.
FanBoy = Brand Fanatic.

You care more about the Pentax brand than you care about Photography.

- and there's nothing wrong with that.

But it is a bit boring.
01-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #1159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
There is already a fast 14 and a slow 15 so a 16 would never happen.
Photo Rumors has flagged up a patent for a 16mm f2.8 lens from Ricoh: http://photorumors.com/2014/01/16/the-latest-patents-from-fuji-canon-ricoh-and-tamron/#more-52510

I wonder if it will ever get into production. They also include a patent for a 21-84mm equivalent focal length lens for a 1/1.7" sensor. I would be all over that.

01-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #1160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I wonder if it will ever get into production. They also include a patent for a 21-84mm equivalent focal length lens for a 1/1.7" sensor. I would be all over that.
Now this is something.
01-17-2014, 01:14 AM   #1161
Inactive Account

Let's try to analyze this for a bit. Why would I buy the 20-40 over the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-35/1.8? For the WR? If I get into a situation where WR might help I have more important things to worry about: my pictures. Getting a decent shot when rain or salt spray has covered the front element is close to nothing.
what about moisture and dust? For example, I like to go climbing and the air is always full of magnesium dust, which is also on my hands all the time.
01-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #1162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
what about moisture and dust? For example, I like to go climbing and the air is always full of magnesium dust, which is also on my hands all the time.

Why would you subject your camera in such harsh conditions without protection? Put it inside a plastic bag. That's what I do when shooting in snow. Moisture will fog your lens and viewfinder, WR or no WR. Moisture may not damage your camera but it will ruin your shots.

01-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #1163
Inactive Account

Why would you subject your camera in such harsh conditions without protection? Put it inside a plastic bag. That's what I do when shooting in snow. Moisture will fog your lens and viewfinder, WR or no WR. Moisture may not damage your camera but it will ruin your shots.
I dont. Thats why I use a Pentax with a WR lens. I just wash my k5 & my DA* 16-50 with tap water and its pretty again That is the sole reason why I do not want to use a Tamron, Sigma or anything else on my camera (with plastic bags )
01-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #1164

I don't know if that specifically is where they want to go, but it makes sense that they want to brand themselves as the alternative camera to Canon/Nikon and maybe Sony. We already have CaNikon and they do what they do very well. A third CaNikon adds nothing but noise to the decision set. Besides, it would be corporate suicide to compete with CaNikon on their terms. Pentax must believe, "If you need or want what they make - go get it. There's nothing wrong with that. This is what we make. If you need or want what we make come over here and get it, because you won't find it anywhere else."

My personal belief is they don't give a whit about Canon. They care about Nikon and want to be seen as the alternative to Nikon - same features, better design and output at a better price, with a little social edginess thrown in.

There's a huge gap between Nikon and Leica. I could see Ricoh taking Pentax's top line into that gap eventually.
The Leica sells rangefinders, Nikon sells SLRs and Olympus has taken "that" gap with an excellent mirrorless body — Olympus OM-D E-M1 — and a comprehensive set of high quality primes…

R
01-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #1165
Veteran Member

I dont. Thats why I use a Pentax with a WR lens. I just wash my k5 & my DA* 16-50 with tap water and its pretty again That is the sole reason why I do not want to use a Tamron, Sigma or anything else on my camera (with plastic bags )

I would like to see some photos that you took in harsh conditions
01-17-2014, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #1166
Inactive Account

I would like to see some photos that you took in harsh conditions
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

last picture in my gallery was taken in freezing conditions where the air (and my hands) were full of chalk (magnesium powder). This of course got on the camera, but not IN, because of the seals
01-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #1167
Inactive Account

Pentax products are neither better nor worse than other brands. They're different, and challenging to contrast fairly with other brands even for people who want to be fair.
I like your point.

It reminds of one quote by Chase Jarvis "I want my work to be different, not better"
01-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #1168
Veteran Member

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

last picture in my gallery was taken in freezing conditions where the air (and my hands) were full of chalk (magnesium powder). This of course got on the camera, but not IN, because of the seals

Nothing in that link
01-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #1169
Pentaxian

Nothing in that link
try again, i think he means the one where the climber is hanging in the air
01-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #1170
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
try again, i think he means the one where the climber is hanging in the air
yes. the last photo. I dont know how to link to a specific photo on the carousel