Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron: Thanks for this post. Conversation and impressions carry a lot of weight and your opinion is valuable.
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
To my very inexperienced eye, it seems the HD coating produces a slightly cooler image versus the SMC/the colours, especially the reds, seem more muted with the HD
Agreed. Scroll up and down comparing the RICOH letters on the table drape.

11-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #32

Thanks for the nice report! I'm waiting for a full review on this site and on DPR.

I probably won't buy until the price comes down a bit, but I am very excited to get my hands on one. My current camera is the K-x. I'll probably keep my FX 43mm attached to it and see if I can afford a HD lens for the K3.

Just have to justify the expense with the spousal unit :-)

Anyway thanks again for the nice coverage.

Mort.
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY 2014 Ricoh/Pentax Full Frame FTW!
11-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Knew nothing or couldn't tell me anything. Who knows. He was very nice, well-informed about the various products, already a master of the K-3.

I didn't think to ask.

...snip
That's OK - there were so many goodies on the table, i'm sure you had lots to think about!

11-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I forgot to mention that the new flash was excellent. Really quick recycle time, good ergonomics, not a big departure from the original version but a few nice improvements. The led felt a bit low power, but maybe the general lighting didn't do it justice.
Great report! Thanks for taking the time to tell us what you saw/ heard. This is great news about the AF-540 WR. Smaller, quieter, WR, but with the same physical controls (compare to Metz!) is wonderful to hear. Now if only the price didn't go up so much!
11-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that the new flash was excellent. Really quick recycle time, good ergonomics, not a big departure from the original version but a few nice improvements. The led felt a bit low power, but maybe the general lighting didn't do it justice.
How fast was it? On my Metz 58 AF-2 on full power it's around 4 seconds with a fully-charged set of eneloops. If it can recycle in 2~3 seconds like my workhorse YN560, it'll be a killer....
11-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
How fast was it? On my Metz 58 AF-2 on full power it's around 4 seconds with a fully-charged set of eneloops. If it can recycle in 2~3 seconds like my workhorse YN560, it'll be a killer....
I bought the AF360 FGZ II last week. It's a really neat looking flash. On a fresh set of rechargeable batteries, the ready light comes on in two seconds or less. I don't know how its bigger brother, the AF 540 performs in this respect, though. I tried a few quick, unscientific tests like using it in complete darkness, where the LED light enabled my K-5 to focus accurately (a black dog in a dark room!), and to bouncing a few flashes off the ceiling, both with the head turned forward and backwards. Exposure seemed pretty spot-on. I will do a review when I've had a chance to really try it out.

11-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I bought the AF360 FGZ II last week. It's a really neat looking flash. On a fresh set of rechargeable batteries, the ready light comes on in two seconds or less. I don't know how its bigger brother, the AF 540 performs in this respect, though. I tried a few quick, unscientific tests like using it in complete darkness, where the LED light enabled my K-5 to focus accurately (a black dog in a dark room!), and to bouncing a few flashes off the ceiling, both with the head turned forward and backwards. Exposure seemed pretty spot-on. I will do a review when I've had a chance to really try it out.
thanks, will be looking forward to your review!
11-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
To my very inexperienced eye, it seems the HD coating produces a slightly cooler image versus the SMC/the colours, especially the reds, seem more muted with the HD
It might be partly a matter of exposure, the rug seems a bit darker with the HD test shot. The SMC exposed at 1/20 and the HD at 1/25. I should have locked exposure in M mode but things were going pretty fast.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mortimer Quote
Anyway thanks again for the nice coverage.
A pleasure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I don't know what kind of batteries they had. The flash charged faster than 4 seconds, and even after pressing Test (full power) it was ready before 2 seconds had passed. It was faster than what I get with my 540 but the batteries might explain it, I use 1,2V hybrids.
11-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #40
Pentaxian

The new flashes have faster charging times than the old ones. With NiMh batteries, it's 1.5s for the AF360 FGZ II and 3s for the AF 540FGZ II (official information from Ricoh Imaging's site).
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I don't know what kind of batteries they had. The flash charged faster than 4 seconds, and even after pressing Test (full power) it was ready before 2 seconds had passed. It was faster than what I get with my 540 but the batteries might explain it, I use 1,2V hybrids.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The new flashes have faster charging times than the old ones. With NiMh batteries, it's 1.5s for the AF360 FGZ II and 3s for the AF 540FGZ II (official information from Ricoh Imaging's site).
Thank you for the responses! Those new flashes are really starting to look good. Might get one in the near future as backup TTL flash.
11-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the reports - those high iso shots are interesting as is the info from all on the flashes.
Much appreciated!
11-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank You for the Report.
11-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #44
TZH

Thank You for the Report.