Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
01 goes in the pants pocket... 08 in the jacket pocket... and tadaaaa
I once lost my 01 metal cap in my pants pocket but it all came out in the wash.

11-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
it seems to be a rectilinear lens too.
Before or after processing?
11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

no way before
11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #19

Any guesses on it's price? On par with the other quality Q lenses ($300 USD)?

11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is Pentax's obsession with slow lenses. Seriously. They really, really, really like slow lenses a lot.

I don't like to dis the new products, especially before they are released, but I just don't see the point of this lens. Or, to be more specific, I don't see why on earth they would release this physically larger, slower lens prior to releasing something with potential for better performance on the wide end, like a fast wide lens or a faster wide zoom.

It's like the people who design these products have never been in a low-light situation with a camera and wanted to take a photograph.
11-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Any guesses on it's price? On par with the other quality Q lenses ($300 USD)?
They're on crack if they want to charge this much for a lens this slow. Maybe they could release it in a bundle with the new wide Slow Limited Zoom, and charge $1500.
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
What is Pentax's obsession with slow lenses. Seriously. They really, really, really like slow lenses a lot.

I don't like to dis the new products, especially before they are released, but I just don't see the point of this lens. Or, to be more specific, I don't see why on earth they would release this physically larger, slower lens prior to releasing something with potential for better performance on the wide end, like a fast wide lens or a faster wide zoom.

It's like the people who design these products have never been in a low-light situation with a camera and wanted to take a photograph.
IMO, its exactly that they do consider what a photographer usually does that the Pentax lenses make sense.
UWA, is about taking in large expanse of a view.
Usually its not about shallow DOF, nor shooting poor IQ images hand held.
Its about using low ISO and steady shooting (be it on a tripod or bracing enough) for most cases where a UWA is concerned.

Of course that does not mean ppl don't shoot UWA hand held in low light.
Just that the thinking behind the lens is a set of compromises and thats how it was chosen to be.

But this thing at f3.7-f4 has plenty DOF and not too slow f4, so ISO can be at a push of ISO800 with a brace/support (not that hard since the camera is so small), maybe 1/30; 1/15; 1s at a push.
I've done the same with the toy fisheye which is 1 stop slower at f5.6.

Q7; ISO3200; 1/60; f5.6 Toy Fisheye
If I was willing to trade shutter speed to 1/30; f4, ISO would be a better quality ISO800.

My few cents.

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.
11-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Great shots pinholecam. I like how that fisheye shot turns out.
11-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Before or after processing?
hopefully before, because the 03 is a fisheye... this UWA will be really good.

I guess they can't help but make it a bit slower for the Q - if it were f2.8-4 it might not look like a Q LENS at all. Portability is the #1 aspect of the Q, along with its quirky colors maybe. I guess it has something to do with physical limitations on a lens design. As you may see, a lot of pancake lenses (save the DA21) revolve around the 40mm FL (think: FA43, DA40Ltd/XS, Canon 40, even the m4/3 ones and Zeiss). Wide and fast lenses are always huge. It's actually an achievement Pentax can pack the FA31 into such a small package and retain AF, whereas for example the Samyang 35 1.4 is a monster and is only full-manual.

I guess the same goes for Q lenses too; again, it's a wonder how Pentax designed the 06-Q lens to be a constant f2.8 in its 70-200 equivalent range in such a small size

Last edited by Alizarine; 11-03-2013 at 04:49 AM.
11-03-2013, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

what i don't get is that quite new obsession about ultra fast lenses all the time, and everywhere !
11-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
what i don't get is that quite new obsession about ultra fast lenses all the time, and everywhere !
Yes, for a Q system that will have anyway a huge depth of field, fast wide lens will certainly not be used for the quality of the bokeh... and the philosophy of the Q system is to be compact, a fast wide angle is not compact ! I have bought the Q system beside my SLR gear to have a compact pockatable system. For me this lens MUST be pockatable when mounted on a Q. Don't matter if it is not that fast.
11-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Very interesting!!!

Like others I do wish it was a full range f2.8 like the 06, but I think I'll really enjoy this new wide zoom!

Hoping it's released before xmas!

Pat
11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it all comes down to why one would expect to shoot with Q in a situation that really calls for a different camera. On a scale of fun to competent I rate Q closer to the fun side - but the Qompetence Quotient is part of the fun.

It's always a compromise. So is a dSLR.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
11-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Its about using low ISO and steady shooting (be it on a tripod or bracing enough) for most cases where a UWA is concerned.
Do you think the average Q customer is carrying a tripod around?
11-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Do you think the average Q customer is carrying a tripod around?
Ironically enough, the Q is the camera for which I find I need my tripod the most!

But that's a function of my usual shooting style (generally free and hand-held),
and the fact that I use adapted telephoto lenses (mostly Apo-Lanthars) on the Q.