Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Besides, retro with focus by wire?
Yep that was a deal breaker to me but their latest lenses have proper manual focus rings I think.
Still they'd better correct that and update those lenses IMO, at least if they wanna get my money.

Oh and properly priced body would be nice too

11-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #122

As a relative outsider I have a few thoughts.

I`m currently shooting Nikon but I`m almost certainly moving over to Pentax in the new year.
The main reasons for coming to this decision were.
1) I held a K5 in Jessops before they went bust and I liked the feel of it
2) The build quality of the body, the weather sealing, the in body stabilisation
3) The compatibility of the bodies with old lenses
4) I`d been reading about these Ltd`s which were good quality but also decent prices. ( Admittedly on US websites )

The first 3 reasons still apply but the fourth one has all but disappeared.
I`ll probably still buy a K5ll ( maybe a kit 18-135 ) but I`ve been buying up some old manual stuff on ebay to use with the body.
After all a lot of the old stuff still has good glass and I don`t mind manual focus too much anyway.

Photography reminds me of the way motocycling went many years ago. It`s turning into a seriously rich man`s hobby.
11-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #123
Inactive Account

buy the limited used. The DA 40 & 70 are really cheap used. I got the duo for 700 $. I've also seend a DA 15 that was sold for 300 gbp 2 days ago and I'm in agony I wasnt the buyer
11-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by limpet Quote
Photography reminds me of the way motocycling went many years ago. It`s turning into a seriously rich man`s hobby.
Not true imo... it's been cheaper than ever before in history. You can pick up a K20D + FA 50 for less than 500 bucks and have some serious fun with it. It's only expensive when you want latest and greatest and cannot buy used.

Or wait, K100D + Kitlens can sometimes be had for $150!

11-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #125
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Not true imo... it's been cheaper than ever before in history. You can pick up a K20D + FA 50 for less than 500 bucks and have some serious fun with it. It's only expensive when you want latest and greatest and cannot buy used.

Or wait, K100D + Kitlens can sometimes be had for $150!
you can find a k30 for 400 bucks and I found a F 50 1.7 for 100$. now that is a GREAT starting kit.
pick up a used 18-55wr and a sigma 75-200 f3.8 AF or a pentax 55-300 and you have practically everything covered.
11-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a relative outsider I have a few thoughts.

I`m currently shooting Nikon but I`m almost certainly moving over to Pentax in the new year.
The main reasons for coming to this decision were.
1) I held a K5 in Jessops before they went bust and I liked the feel of it
2) The build quality of the body, the weather sealing, the in body stabilisation
3) The compatibility of the bodies with old lenses
4) I`d been reading about these Ltd`s which were good quality but also decent prices. ( Admittedly on US websites )

The first 3 reasons still apply but the fourth one has all but disappeared.
I`ll probably still buy a K5ll ( maybe a kit 18-135 ) but I`ve been buying up some old manual stuff on ebay to use with the body.
After all a lot of the old stuff still has good glass and I don`t mind manual focus too much anyway.

Sign up on Pentaxuser.co.uk for pretty good 2nd hand deals on some of the Limiteds. There was a 31 for sale last week at sub €700
11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HD 20-40mm

The more I think about this new lens, the more I am getting intrigued - especially after seeing the images of it mounted on a K-3. I have the DA 15mm Ltd and 35mm Ltd macro, as well as a K 28/3.5 (excellent, by the way), so I am fairly well covered in the FL range. However, I can imagine using the 20-40 in place of the 28 and 35 while filling a gap I have at ~20mm. I recently acquired an S-M-C Tak 50mm macro so I could give up the macro function of the DA 35. I'm interested to see what the max apertures are at 30, 35 and 40mm.

As others have mentioned, for hiking and general city rambling, this lens might be just the ticket. A two-lens kit with the DA 15, or a three-lens kit with a 70mm or 77mm would be terrific. In my case, I would probably carry either (DA 15, HD 20-40, F 35-70) or (DA 15, HD 20-40, DA* 50-135).

And, I must admit, I'm struck by the styling of the focus ring - I love my S-M-C Taks.

Hmmm, time to start thinking about giving up several lenses to raise the cash?

- Craig

11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Nice lens, but the aperture range is not appealing. I'll stick with my previous plan, 18-135mm supported by primes, 16-45 on rare occasions.

Wouldn't it be a mind-blower if the 20-40mm Ltd covers full-frame? Any discussion of value would be out the window.
It would have to be FF compatible in order to interest me at all; I often go out with a K5 and a film body, so FF coverage would have immediate appeal.
11-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
It would have to be FF compatible in order to interest me at all; I often go out with a K5 and a film body, so FF coverage would have immediate appeal.
There's no aperture ring so that limits use with most film bodies.
11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #130

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Sign up on Pentaxuser.co.uk for pretty good 2nd hand deals on some of the Limiteds. There was a 31 for sale last week at sub €700
Kinda what I mean, more cash than I gather a new one would have been about 3 or 4 years ago.
Don`t get me wrong, I`m not that bothered about having the Ltds, after all you can`t always have everything you`d like.
I was just under a misapprehension, after reading some US forums 2 or 3 years ago about prices and doing a quick mental currency conversion, about the cost of these things.

It`s no biggie. I suppose it, as usual with expensive itens, comes down to the law of diminishing returns and whether I`m prepared to pay the premium.
In this case the answer is no.
I`ll still get the body, but I`ll have to do without the other bits that`s all.
11-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kinda what I mean, more cash than I gather a new one would have been about 3 or 4 years ago.
Don`t get me wrong, I`m not that bothered about having the Ltds, after all you can`t always have everything you`d like.
I was just under a misapprehension, after reading some US forums 2 or 3 years ago about prices and doing a quick mental currency conversion, about the cost of these things.

It`s no biggie. I suppose it, as usual with expensive itens, comes down to the law of diminishing returns and whether I`m prepared to pay the premium.
In this case the answer is no.
I`ll still get the body, but I`ll have to do without the other bits that`s all.
I know in my case that I started off with a couple of good zooms (16-45 & 55-300), and then fell into the discovery journey of some of the older primes (Takumars, K-Series, K-Series, A-Series, FA and now I've also added a couple of Da Limiteds), it's half the fun, researching, finding, getting some of these older gems and discovering their charms. While I hesitate to say it, using a typical zoom ie the 18-135 with a K Dslr is a great photographic tool, it is an experience you can get with any of the other brands, whereas to fully appreciate the Pentax philosophy (for want of a better term) you need to have the body, pair it with a small prime and just head out and see what happens Something cheaper like the DA50 f/1.8 might be a great starter if you want AF but it would undersell the tactility you get with a typical Limited which is a big part of the experience. Anyways best of luck with your choices and welcome to Pentaxia!

And the 31 was never cheap (it is something akin to the Pentax lens flagship) :P, value of currency has dropped as well over the last 3 to 4 years.
11-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #132
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are there any pictures from this lens?