Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
No because I'm learning to touch type!
It helps no end I have to say.

Pentax have "massive potential" they just have to work out how to exploit that.
Anyway back to this lens my vote goes for an 18-50mm limited f2.8-f4, more useful range with WR and excellent build, £850 is too high so knock it down to about £650 winner all round.
That extra 2mm wide end is most useful, still would be compact enough and would be far more attractive to buyers
If such a lens came out wouldn't you still say that Tamron is a better deal?

Must say that I'm impressed with the fuji lineup though. How could they afford to produce so many excellent lenses in such a short time frame?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 11-16-2013 at 09:08 PM.
11-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No because I'm learning to touch type!
It helps no end I have to say.

Pentax have "massive potential" they just have to work out how to exploit that.
Anyway back to this lens my vote goes for an 18-50mm limited f2.8-f4, more useful range with WR and excellent build, £850 is too high so knock it down to about £650 winner all round.
That extra 2mm wide end is most useful, still would be compact enough and would be far more attractive to buyers
That would be a large, quite heavy, if released as a limited lens with metal body. Very different from the other limiteds. And not particularly separated from the 16-50 f2.8 lens that already exists.
11-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
There's absolutely 0 value in comparing this DA=cropped lens to any of the FF lenses you mentioned here. Apple to oranges. Compare it to APS-C, here's a good one for you - Fuji X 18-55 2.8-4 OS.
A short-register mirrorless apple, being compared to SLR oranges.

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
It's a kick ass lens, just like any other lens FUJI is offering with the X mount.
That kick to the rear seems to mess with the alignment:

"this is the 2nd out of 5 tested Fuji lenses with a rather significant centering defect."

Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict
11-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote

Must say that I'm impressed with the fuji lineup though. How could they afford to produce so many excellent lenses in such a short time frame?
I agree with you here Andi, I hope Ricoh can somehow follow this suite. Even though Ricoh has many current lenses aside from it's old K-mount compatibility, Ricoh needs to produce more tempting/unique and at the same time attractive lenses in order to boost....

11-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #140
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not sure why you don't get it, but whatever. boriscleto™.
Ditto.
I can't wait to get my hands on this lens.
11-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I hate to burst your bubble, but for Ricoh/Pentax to be successful they need to do something different from Canon/Nikon. The reality is that the volume isn't there for them to match or under cut prices of the big two and simply to parrot their lenses for more money, would be disasterous. Pentax needs to blaze a different path. Make lenses that are different. Find niches for camera bodies that haven't been explored by Canon and Nikon. And in the end, they may find themselves in the number three position.
So then you are basically saying that Pentax will never become a big player, even though Ricoh have stated that that is their goal?
11-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because Fuji is losing money big time?
I'd be VERY surprised if they weren't (that division I mean).
11-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #143
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because Fuji is losing money big time?
I'd be VERY surprised if they weren't (that division I mean).
They are?

11-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #144
Pentaxian

Yes, they are. Fuji's Imaging Solutions posted a 5.4 billion yen operating loss in the 2nd quarter of the current fiscal year; they were hurt by the declining compacts, while "high-end models such as the X-series proceeded smoothly" (whatever that means). Instant cameras, smartphone modules, print systems - those are growing nicely.
Their Information Solutions (incl. medical) and Document Solutions posted a profit, and the company is profitable.
FUJIFILM Holdings | Earnings Presentations

For the record, Pentax launched no less than 8 lenses in 2008 (before cost cutting started); 4 of them were DA*, and 1 was a DA Limited. They did that because they were re-launching the K-mount system (together with the K10D).
Fujifilm announced 5 lenses per year, to a total of 10 lenses. And it's not like they're beating Pentax in optics, or in build quality
11-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
So then you are basically saying that Pentax will never become a big player, even though Ricoh have stated that that is their goal?
I believe that Ricoh will be able to build a solid number three position as a camera maker. But even that will take years to do. They are playing a long game, unlike Sony who just tried out buy and out release the competition and thus far hasn't done very well.
11-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The crop factor applies to all lenses equally, so no.
Crop Factor, yes.
Angle of View, no.
11-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If such a lens came out wouldn't you still say that Tamron is a better deal?

Caught at your own game Mr Spocko !
11-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #148
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Ricoh has stated they believe there is room for a THIRD camera company and it can be Pentax. They didn't say they would control 1/3 of the market. The idea is to appeal to buyers who choose a Pentax over the big two for its distinct differences. Over the intermediate term (5-7 years) they expect significant market share and the 20 year Vision is to be #1.

Ricoh is an absolutely relentless competitor. They work and work and work for every fraction of a point of market share. They believe that time is their ally and they understand the principle of compound growth at a maintainable pace.

Too bad I'll be dead before they're finished. It would be fun to revisit these posts.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
11-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Yes Pentax sell one 35mm f2.4 lens to every 5000 NIkon 35m f1.8 lens.
What an achievement!

That is a ridiculous statement. Nikon has a much larger market share for decades. In order for the 35 2.4 to outsell the Nikon 1.8 lens either a very large portion of Nikon users would have had to shifted to Pentax strickly for that lens or existing Pentax users would have each had to purchase 50 of the new lens each. I bought one 2.4, if it had been a 1.8 I still would have only bought a single lens. If the 1.8 was considerably larger I would not have purchased it at all. I have no use for mutilple copies of the same lens

Even the worse selling DSLR from either Nikon or Canon will outsell the best selling Pentax one, hence by your own statement each and every model of Pentax DSLR has been a bad achievement. Utter nonsense.
11-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #150
Banned

Ricoh has stated they believe there is room for a THIRD camera company and it can be Pentax.
Yeah, and didn't Fuji work towards that goal and achieved it with their X-series? I remember reading they had some 150 million in sales in that first year.

Ricoh is an absolutely relentless competitor.
I am a Ricoh fan, but relentless competitor, they are not. They are simply there.