Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
To be fair, if you sell them at or slightly above, at a later time, you are losing money due to currency devaluation/inflation.

Plus look at how the ads out there all state MIJ, where applicable. People are waiting on those and the prices of older MIJ runs are the ones holding value, at least in monetary units.
I have no idea what you are talking about. If you buy a DA * lens for 1200 dollars and can only sell it for 750 dollars, you have lost money. If you buy a DA 40 for 250 dollars and then sell it for 350 dollars, you have made money, even adjusting for inflation (unless you live in Zimbabwe). My point remains, which is that of glass that you can buy, the FA and DA limiteds hold their value as well as any lenses available in k mount.

11-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, if you're still looking for counterparts to the DA 20-40 in a different system:

tri elmar | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Now who says P-Ricoh aren't trying to occupy the Leica high ground?
11-15-2013, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #108
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You may notice that numerous recent posts have been deleted as for the last 24+ hours The only posts made were in violation of PF rules. Several people turned it into political/socio-economic discussion.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-15-2013 at 08:38 AM.
11-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You may notice that numerous recent posts have been deleted as for the last 24+ hours The only posts made were in violation of PF rules. Several people turned it into political/socio-economic discussion.
Hey Parallax, could we btw move 'trollism' to political/religious category so those posts would actually be deleted instead of guys fed up with those getting a warning?
Just saying

11-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #110
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hey Parallax, could we btw move 'trollism' to political/religious category so those posts would actually be deleted instead of guys fed up with those getting a warning?
Just saying
No, but we can just close the thread if all people want to do is talk politics and world economics, or whine about the whiners instead of discussing the topic.
11-15-2013, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

Sooo...when does this lens go on sale again? How long do you all think it'll be on the market before there's a price drop?
11-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Next Month?

Hello Fat Albert,
According to Adam's post announcing this lens, it will be available in December, 2013. It is available for pre-order from B+H @ $999.
As for when (and, if) the price will come down, your guess is as good as mine.
Ron
11-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
You nailed it, Kunzite. The gentleman with the pointy ears has made it a crusade to go on every thread that mentions a Limited lens, with multiple posts ridiculing Pentax and praising Tamron. So it follows that the DA Ltd is too short, not wide enough, not fast enough, range is too small, too expensive and should only be compared to an F/2.8 18-55mm, so as to be more fair. Did I miss anything? Oh, yes, the red stripe is also used by Canon.
Nobody will buy it, much less use it. It is a complete flop in design, execution and pricepoint.
All presented as indisputable truth.
Whenever his personal preferences are challenged and facts presented to debate them, he jumps to a reworded, but similar complaint, without acknowledging the obviously factual and accurate viewpoint.
There's an old expression describing this tactic; 'Don't let any facts interfere with your opinion'.
As for myself, I prefer facts to overblown, pompous expressions of personal sentiments.
When you feel you've had enough of his rhetoric, the yellow triangle is your friend.
Ron
Not true I find some of the limited lenses worth the asking price and consideration, the 70mm f2.4 being one lens I have quite a lot of time for esp since it's a great portrait focal length giving an equivalent of 105mm in FF bit of a classic for those of us from 35mm days.

If we're talking about the 21mm f3.2 it's simply not that interesting to me, even less so since I have a 21mm setting on the 17-50mm f2.8 and it's faster too. 35mm f2.4 was IMHO a mistake from Pentax simply because the lens is only a touch faster than (yes again) the 17-50mm f2.8. Had it been f1.8 or f2 I might have added one to the bag as a stop + can at times be needed. For some folks (like me) I don't see the point of buying lenses like the 21mm f3.2, and whilst I liked the 40mm f2.8 it basically became redundant once I got the Tamron.

I'm not overplaying Tamron (they have maybe 3-4 very appealing lenses) I'm hardly the first person to buy a few either (I suspect many Pentax users have some Tamron lenses)
Simply put I'm after "more speed" if I go with a prime. I can't justify having a zoom and a slow prime. If the 40mm were f2 I might be able to want it with the zoom. The 70mm is useful as it's fast enough and a longer focal length, on the other hand the 90mm f2.8 makes a decent portrait lens too, but still I kept that limited lens as I like it

The idea of any lens range isn't you "buy every single one" very few would do that. You pick what you need/want and buy that
I don't have a problem with a limited zoom, but I think Pentax could come up with something a bit more interesting here

I don't see anything wrong in going for bang per buck in some cases, that's why the 17-50mm f2.8 has been a big seller for Tamron it's priced right has good optics (which is important) build is "just fine" for this price point. I'm not suggesting Pentax dumb down their lenses to compete or cheap them out to beat Tamron, but they can at least offer speed if they want to charger premium prices.

As for the lottery comments, I've not had a problem with the Tamron's I've bought. Some do guess what you buy "any lens" from any maker and shoot it. If something is wrong you send it back and get it replaced or your cash back. In other cases we have a warranty too which is decently long with Tamron too. Any complaints about Tamron QC are fine, but don't kid yourselves Pentax have not had their SDM problems too.

11-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #114
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
35mm f2.4 was IMHO a mistake from Pentax simply because the lens is only a touch faster than (yes again) the 17-50mm f2.8. Had it been f1.8 or f2 I might have added one to the bag as a stop + can at times be needed. For some folks (like me) I don't see the point of buying lenses like the 21mm f3.2, and whilst I liked the 40mm f2.8 it basically became redundant once I got the Tamron
There it is, Mr Spocko. You've done it again. It's clear you write these posts, my question is, do you read them?
Your quote above boils down to this:
The Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4AL is a MISTAKE from Pentax because YOU happen to already own a 3rd party zoom that includes that particular focal length and is only 1/2 stop slower.
Your lens collection should determine which lenses Pentax makes? When did you become chief of their product line?
You've done this before, many times. If what you have is produced by Tamron, that fact alone makes the Pentax offering redundant, superfluous and a mistake.
I guess we're all fortunate Tamron doesn't make a 70mm prime lens. Otherwise, according to your logic, the DA 70mm Ltd. wouldn't have a reason to exist.
As has been pointed out several times before, the Limited line is made to be smaller and more compact, sometimes at the expense of maximum aperture. If you value lens speed over size, the Limiteds are not for you. But that doesn't preclude the rest of the lens-buying public, which is exactly the problem. You can't seem to tell the difference.
Get over it!
Ron
11-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
OK, if you're still looking for counterparts to the DA 20-40 in a different system:

tri elmar | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Now who says P-Ricoh aren't trying to occupy the Leica high ground?
When I first saw this lens, it immediately put me in mind of the Tri-Elmar. That, however, is just based on its external appearance and range of focal lengths. It doesn't have the TE trick of moving from wide to narrow then back to middle FL, nor does it have two aspherical elements. Hopefully, it doesn't flare at the long end, either. They really need to get the 20-40 into some good photographers' hands, and let us see the results.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
11-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
They really need to get the 40-80 into some good photographers' hands, and let us see the results.
FF equivalents for this lens on MFT?
11-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
When I first saw this lens, it immediately put me in mind of the Tri-Elmar. That, however, is just based on its external appearance and range of focal lengths.
Also maximum aperture at the long end.
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't think most people got the point of the OP (although, as I quoted another poster, it is indeed missing data).
The question is not to judge the lenses overall but to compare with other lenses on APS-C sensor, in the 20-40 range and around f/2.8 to f/4.
So this is a very specific window. Of course other lenses (usually) have bigger range and that's fine of course but that is beyond the point.
Most of this lenses will run circles around the 20-40 as soon as you get oustide of the scope the said comparison, and for good reasons too.
Well, as I stated in the beginning of my reply, I did get the point of comparing APS-C sensors solutions on other systems in the same focal length range, but indeed, maybe not everybody did. My point, on the other hand, was just to provide more products to compare the DA20-40 to, especially in the more compact categories of APS-C and 4/3rds dedicated lenses.
11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello tigrebleu,
Thank you for checking other makers and finding lenses suitable for this comparison. That was an oversight on my part and your contribution certainly is useful.
Although it is no excuse for missing the entries from Olympus and Sigma, after reading several pages of choices (each!) by Nikon and Canon to find close matches, I felt I'd done enough homework. Clearly not the case!
In any event, It all will hopefully help potential buyers make a more well-informed choice.
Without beating a dead horse, I felt it was obvious going in that the Canon and Nikon entries would be larger in size, due to the requirement of fitting two different formats. But, the logical comparison would be against Canon and Nikon APS-crop body useage, and the (generally comparable) lenses offered for them. If any maker produced cropped-format-only lenses in this size range, I'd have gladly added them. Assuming better research on my part, of course!
Thanks again to you and Thibs for reminding me of the missing data.
Ron
Hey, no problem Ron.

I do understand your point, though, Canon and Nikon offerings in this focal length range is limited to rather big FF lenses on APS-C DSLRs. Though all these lenses have rather good IQ, they're... big, LoL. Good job on your part of the research, BTW. You even included the prices, something I didn't care as much about.

I was happy to add a few other products for the sake of comparison.
11-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #120
Veteran Member

There's absolutely 0 value in comparing this DA=cropped lens to any of the FF lenses you mentioned here. Apple to oranges. Compare it to APS-C, here's a good one for you - Fuji X 18-55 2.8-4 OS. It's a kick ass lens, just like any other lens FUJI is offering with the X mount.