Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Canon states that their sealed L lenses require a Filter to complete sealing, so yes they are sealed, the implementation is just different for them. I am not picking on the Nikon rep you talked to. Nikon is notorious for not commenting on the sealing of their products. When I was working with other pros who shot Nikon that was a gripe nearly all of them expressed. I did have personal experience with the 16-35, and I have heard other pros express that that lens is sealed, as is the 24-120 F4, etc. Canon is much more open about their sealing on the L lenses. And even then some older L's are not sealed: 35 f1.4, 135 f2, 100-400 L, etc. Edit: I do not know of any Canon APS lenses being sealed.

David

Last edited by David&karen; 11-11-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarification
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just think it is a niche lens, made more so because it is so expensive. I have no problem with a 2 x lens, but 20mm just isn't that wide on APS-C. A 16 to 30mm lens would have been a better offering, although it would probably have had to be larger than it currently is.
I think this is a lens that cries out for a prime on either end (15, 20~40, 70).
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have no problem with Ricoh making such a lens, but this feels a little frivolous in the current line up. I would rather have had refreshes of the 16-50 and 50-135...
Yep - agreed. I wonder whether the unsold inventory is just too large to refresh yet. Rock meet hard place? If so, a special warranty card might clear stock better than a price discount.
11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
This thread is comparing a new Pentax APS-C lens (obviously, since that's the only DSLR format Pentax has available)
Don't forget this one:

Pentax 645D - Pentax Medium Format DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-11-2013, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
He was talking generally about bodies and lenses. Not one specific lens. But he would not stand by his product on this level. He also said no other was doing better in this aspect, and seemed nonplused when I politely corrected him by showing him my 18-55 WR (and a few other lenses )
If you would allow me: some badly-needed perspective:

Pentax WR failings:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142142-weather-sealing-fai...new-k-5-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/229023-k-5-ii-we...g-failure.html

Canon/Nikon WR successes:

Every time someone feels the need to sing praise about how wondrous Pentax cameras are when compared to Canon/Nikon, I get itchy. Do you really think that Canon and Nikon are any worse? Honestly, with so many professional users around the world?

The one area where Pentax offers something Canon and Nikon don't is WR in their cheaper bodies and lenses. That's it.

I'm also surprised by people implying that Pentax has better weather sealing because the build appears to be better. Sure, a K-5 feels better in my hands than a D7000, but that has nothing to do with weather sealing. The K-500 and K-50 share the same body, yet one is sealed and the other is not. Hello?

But hey, at least Pentax marketing is working. Even though people say they hardly do any marketing.

11-11-2013, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote

Every time someone feels the need to sing praise about how wondrous Pentax cameras are when compared to Canon/Nikon, I get itchy. Do you really think that Canon and Nikon are any worse? Honestly, with so many professional users around the world?

The one area where Pentax offers something Canon and Nikon don't is WR in their cheaper bodies and lenses. That's it.

I'm also surprised by people implying that Pentax has better weather sealing because the build appears to be better. Sure, a K-5 feels better in my hands than a D7000, but that has nothing to do with weather sealing. The K-500 and K-50 share the same body, yet one is sealed and the other is not. Hello?

But hey, at least Pentax marketing is working. Even though people say they hardly do any marketing.
Not sure totally what your point is. None of these cameras is water proof. Not the K5, not the 6D, not the D7000. I have used K10/20/7/5 in all sorts of weather with DA * lenses without problem, but of course, there is a failure rate with all of these things.

The big area where I feel that Pentax has an advantage, is that they do produce reasonably priced sealed lenses and bodies. A weather proof kit lens, K30 and DA HD 55-300 is going to be a lot cheaper than the equivalent lowest priced sealed kit that would cover 18-300mm from Canon/Nikon. This isn't propaganda. For a person who hikes a lot (I do), it is nice to know that I can deal with most weather I face.

As to the K500 and K50 sharing the same body -- of course they do, but the difference is the fact that doors/ports are sealed on the K50. If sealing isn't that big a deal to you, then you can go with the cheaper but unsealed body. But not sure what that has to do with anything. Moisture/dust gets in at certain spots (lens mount, doors, buttons) and if there is no sealing around these, then your camera isn't sealed, is it? Even if shares the same shell as another camera that is sealed.
11-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Starbase, I think you are getting quite worked up on the topic of weather sealing. Let's take a deep breath. And you can keep your comments on "badly-needed perspective". When a Nikon rep tells me something and I pass it along, I am not in need of perspective, I am repeating what the dude said. You can argue with him if you want.

WR is one part of the equation. I'm sure Pentax shareholders would love to discuss why they lost their #1 place, but I would venture to say that a few different factors contributed to the current market shares of each brand.

I do think the WR offer from Pentax is better than the competition. My definition of better might be different from yours, of course.

That's pretty big in itself. I would add that they also offer smaller bodies, smaller lenses, unique lenses, excellent image processing, and ergonomics that suit me just fine.

Now, none of us signed a contract to remain a Pentax user forever, so if you're not happy with your photo gear, do like the world professionals and sell it to go with Canon.
11-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I do know the Nikon D3X with a 24-70 FX 2.8 Nikkor lens is just about as sealed as it gets. I had that combo in heavy wet fog, ice storms, heavy rain, mud, etc. It just would not die or leak. That being said I had a Canon 5dII drop dead in a heavy fog(many hours, not right away) with a 17-40L attached to it. In case anyone asks, it did not have a vertical grip attached to it(that grip is not sealed). I have had perfect luck with the K7/K5/K5IIs and the WR and DA* lenses in rain, ice, fog. Plus they are a lot lighter than the Nikon system was, albeit not FF. Also in case anyone asks, I left Nikon because my wife could not use it, the cameras and lenses were too heavy for her and she was miserable. The middle ground is the Pentax system and I am very happy with it.

David

11-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Compared to Nikon, Pentax offers several things they don't: very quiet shutter/mirror sounds, and vibration reduction in the body, which is huge. And higher frame rates in the mid level priced bodies(the K3 fits this price, to me anyway). Compared to Canon you have to drop off the shutter noise in at least one area: the higher end Canon's have a very quiet live view shutter, the regular one is quieter than the Nikon, but still louder than the Pentax. And I have been asked to stop taking pictures in churches with the Nikons, never with the Pentax. And that was at times when it was appropriate to take pics, the Nikon FF cameras can be very annoying in shutter sound. This was a D3X, but the D800 is about the same, the D600 a little better.

David
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Pentaxian

How to make a Pentax weather sealing failure video, in 3 easy steps:
1. wash your camera thoroughly, with a pressure water hose.
2. after a while, remember to check if the ports rubber door is closed.
3. continue to wash your camera and lens, make sure you leave no square mm unwashed.
Epic
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I think that would work with any sealed system…too funny!
11-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #41
rlatjsrud

Well you didn't think about DA limited lens itself.

Aluminum lens: It explained everything.

Weight and size: Almost same as 18-55. Very light weight which is almost 300g

Image quality: unknown yet

Well you know that limited lens have premium price. Look at the other brands. Do they make these kinds of lens? NO. Only pentax does. also we don't need to care about the spec cause we just take pics. The purpose is to take pics. Why do we have to discuss about the specs?
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
The purpose is to take pics. Why do we have to discuss about the specs?
If my "pic" has important details at the edge,
I like to know if the lens I'm using
is capable of resolving those details
at the aperture I have selected.
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #43

On the other end of the scale we have the WR test done by Heie. Cover the whole thing in desert sand, and then take it into the shower for a light rinse.
11-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #44
Veteran Member

My k5 and da*16-50 went diving in 4 feet of water. It came back to life 2 weeks later much like Jason from Friday the 13.

Pentax is on different planet. I love the dedicated apsc bodies and lenses. They are small and make sense.
11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
rlatjsrud

Pentax WR failings:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142142-weather-sealing-fai...new-k-5-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/229023-k-5-ii-we...g-failure.html
Don't do this to your Pentax K-5 - YouTube

Canon/Nikon WR successes:
Canon 6d weather sealing test - YouTube
Canon EOS 7D Pushing the limits of weather seals - YouTube
Nikon D7000 weather sealing - YouTube
Nikon D3 Hail Torture - YouTube

That not an issue. First of all, The water resist test for K-5 is wrong. that kind of water pressure can through into the camera. Why don't you check other brands camera video? Those video has only rainy or humid. In conclusion, the water resist test for K-5 is wrong.