Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #151
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Yeah, and didn't Fuji work towards that goal and achieved it with their X-series? I remember reading they had some 150 million in sales in that first year.
What is their share of the DSLR market?

11-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #152
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
What is their share of the DSLR market?
Don't know. Likely zero. Of the camera market, pretty respectable.

I find isolations of the dSLR market fairly useless. Someone will come along and compare them to compacts and losing to cameraphones, but these are not comparable.
11-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Yeah, and didn't Fuji work towards that goal and achieved it with their X-series? I remember reading they had some 150 million in sales in that first year.
Not with a sort-of-niche system launched less than 2 years ago. Not with the falling compacts.
Their total camera market share is single digit and expected to remain so (they're estimating to sell about 5.000.000 units this FY - mostly compacts, of course).

I believe Ricoh Imaging will have an easy time surpassing Fuji, even if we're talking units and including compacts.
If it's ILCs only, the discussion doesn't make sense.
11-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #154
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know. Likely zero. Of the camera market, pretty respectable.

I find isolations of the dSLR market fairly useless.
I suppose so when they dont fit your argument. I find them quite useful. We're discussing Pentax market share. A market which relies heavily on DSLRs. Fuji doesn't make a DSLR, so their market share in this context is as irrelevent as Samsung's, or Apple's, or Chevrolet's, as Fuji has the exact same share of the DSLR market as they do.

Last edited by Parallax; 11-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
11-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #155
Banned

I'm still waiting for the dSLR to be dead, like all the predictions of years' past.

I also think separating mirrorless and dSLRs, despite certain ones having similar performance, is, at this point, fairly ridiculous.
11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #156
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I also think separating mirrorless and dSLRs, despite certain ones having similar performance, is, at this point, fairly ridiculous.
I'm sure you do, because by combining them you can include Fuji, thereby giving you another reason rationalization to bash Pentax.
11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #157
Banned

I'm sure you do, because by combining them you can include Fuji, thereby giving you another reason rationalization to bash Pentax.
I think you're off-base. I don't bash Pentax for anything other than the lack of a fast 24 in their pipeline, which I put squarely on their previous management and those employed under them and their lack of vision. And for their SDM.

Also, their distributor for the Germanic countries is a disaster. Is that bashing Pentax? Not really, since it's well known in this region of the world and is costing them sales when they're seen playing on facebook and ignoring sales emails. Ricoh should know what is going on here.

In fact, I don't know what you're getting at because I not only defend Pentax, including against the 5DII/III shooters (please, check though my post history for that!) in photography pits and on stage, I also discuss people needing to give time to judge Ricoh and how I like what they're doing.

Would you please check my post history because it appears you're just making these things up out of thin air.

I'm actually one of Pentax's defenders, but I don't fanboy them.

11-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Be Careful What You Wish For!

I think you're off-base. I don't bash Pentax for anything other than the lack of a fast 24 in their pipeline, which I put squarely on their previous management and those employed under them and their lack of vision. And for their SDM.

Would you please check my post history because it appears you're just making these things up out of thin air.

I'm actually one of Pentax's defenders, but I don't fanboy them.
Thanks for the timely suggestion, I did just that.
In the first 2 sentences quoted, it's not 'Just the lack of a fast 24', you go on to add two other complaints. Total; 3. Can't help it, can you?
In this thread alone, you have 10 posts, nearly every one slagging Pentax in one way or another.
On the '20-40mm WR?' thread, you have no less than thirty-one (that's right, folks, 31 posts!), and I must admit, not all are directed at Pentax. About 1/2 are hot debates with another Forum member. The other 15 or so, consist of your single-minded, monotonous drone regarding...Ta Da! The lack of a fast 24mm.
I believe you've made your point,
give it a rest,
take a break,
get over it,
enough is enough,
we've got it.
Oh, yes, in that thread, you also mention, in a negative way, the Pentax lack of...vision, marketing, pipeline, pricing, SDM issues, and how much better Fuji is.
Another recurring theme.
"But I don't Fanboy them" The understatement of the year.
Posted from Denver, Colorado. Ya' know, home of the US Pentax Administrative Offices? Not NY or NJ, Denver, Colorado.
Ron
11-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #159
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
......give it a rest,
take a break,
get over it,
enough is enough,
we've got it.........
Ron
Good advice. Even the OP in the "Why I Won't Buy a K-3" thread had the grace state his position then let the issue drop.
11-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #160
Banned

Cool.
11-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Posted from Denver, Colorado. Ya' know, home of the US Pentax Administrative Offices? Not NY or NJ,
For the record, I visited NYC last week. Manhattan.

Park Avenue, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, Lexington Avenue - all around 49th to 54th. Nice old historic hotel suite - there was some kind of movie shoot in front one night and I had to wait to get in. Big train station nearby.

I think they call it Midtown. Could be wrong since I'm Flyover and all.

Also saw my daughter's teeny tiny apartment. UWS - 81st and Columbus. BIG park a block away. Nice place, for a big city.

Missed John Stossel by this much.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
11-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #162
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For the record, I visited NYC last week. Manhattan. UWS - 81st and Columbus.

Also Park Avenue, 5th Avenue, Madison Avenue, Lexington Avenue - all around 49th to 54th. Nice old historic hotel suite - there was some kind of movie shoot in front one night and I had to wait to get in. Big train station nearby.

I think they call it Midtown. Could be wrong since I'm Flyover and all.

Saw my daughter's teeny tiny apartment.

Missed John Stossel by this much.
That's superb.
11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #163
Pentaxian

(...)
Fuji doesn't make a DSLR,
(...)
As a matter of fact, they do: they are those which produce Hasselblad series H cameras and lenses.
11-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #164
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
As a matter of fact, they do: they are those which produce Hasselblad series H cameras and lenses.
That's actually a good point.

Funny thing- a friend of mine is a studio photographer and uses two S5PROs to this day.
11-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #165
Veteran Member

I also read review that XF 18-55mm is not sharp at 55mm until stopped to F8. A very respectful site indeed it was, don't remember off the top of my head.
Yeah, that review made my day, LOL. I think I am done with sites that review equipment for a while now, they are pretty much useless.
Rent the camera go out and shoot, you'll see for yourself. This lens is sharper then my Pentax primes, except probably FA 43.

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A short-register mirrorless apple, being compared to SLR oranges.

That kick to the rear seems to mess with the alignment:

"this is the 2nd out of 5 tested Fuji lenses with a rather significant centering defect."

Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict

Last edited by awo425; 11-18-2013 at 10:16 AM.