Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Pentax Rebates are here :(

PENTAX

Unfortunately, the majority of us won't qualify.

04-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yah, I read about that a week or so ago. Its a very restrictive program. You not only have to be a student or teacher, but you have to prove you are currently enrolled in a photo class. I wonder if they'd accept a photo 101 course at the local CC that's a non-credit class?
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Says that you also need to send them a copy of your school ID, so none of those non-credit courses.
04-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's only marginally more restrictive than the acedemic pricing for software (with software you don't have to prove you're in a similar class). I think this is a great program, and I think it's aimed at getting new customers rather than supporting an existing user base.

04-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #5

Had my hopes up for a minute

Well, I am a full time student, and taking the photo class this summer, but I don't know many of us who have a ton of extra $$. $100 is not enough incentive for me to jump on a K20 at the moment (wish I could). As to the academic price of software, they give really good discounts on that, IMO. Oh well, maybe another time...
04-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #6

This brings it down to the ~$1030 range if you're eligable. Getting better and better (I'm going to skip this one).
04-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benplaut Quote
This brings it down to the ~$1030 range if you're eligable. Getting better and better (I'm going to skip this one).
Pentax users are soooo spoiled. How much is a comparable Nikon or Canon going for these days???

All things considered, Pentax gives us a LOT of bang for the buck.

I quoted you Ben, but this was not specifically directed at you. Just makin a point.

04-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Of course as always the rebates are only valid in the USA. This is a subject I can really get steamed about. The Dollar is dropping through the floor and we pay more here (and way more in Europe and AU/NZ). Plus rebates are never offered outside the USA.
04-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
Well, I am a full time student, and taking the photo class this summer, but I don't know many of us who have a ton of extra $$. $100 is not enough incentive for me to jump on a K20 at the moment (wish I could). As to the academic price of software, they give really good discounts on that, IMO. Oh well, maybe another time...
Software really costs next to nothing once the code has been written. OTOH, a camera costs a lot more to manufacture.
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Of course as always the rebates are only valid in the USA. This is a subject I can really get steamed about. The Dollar is dropping through the floor and we pay more here (and way more in Europe and AU/NZ). Plus rebates are never offered outside the USA.
I guess it's not too bad for Canadians now with that "prodigital" store selling lenses at almost US after-rebate price. Sure beat having to wait for rebates and sometimes the associated headaches.
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Student loyalty discount programs

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
PENTAX

Unfortunately, the majority of us won't qualify.
This is GREAT NEWS - read on.

In 2003 Canon won a digital equipment supply contract for my daughter's (nationally competitive) High School Journalism Department when it converted from K1000's to digital. She was Yearbook Editor-in-Chief and had a hand in the RFP and final selection. Pentax wasn't really considered after the written proposal phase since (IIRC) the *ist was promised but not released yet - and the exercise was conducted fairly, as a teaching/learning experience.

A 10 year supply agreement/commitment was made to Canon. It was expected that the consumables savings alone would fund complete equipment renewal every third year for a decade.

So half a generation of the best High School journalism students in the US grew up on Canon, after 20+ years of "holding a Pentax." 40 photography students a year - 400 future professionals. They will ALWAYS favor Canon - and many of them will enter the profession.

Hoya/Pentax is taking the long view and fighting Canikon in 2018 with these battles today - this is GREAT news.

FWIW, my daughter entered a highly selective media honors program in college and now works for a national broadcast news network at its Washington, DC bureau. She's a manager/producer, not a "shooter," but I'd bet she will administer RFP's some time in her career.

She also returned to me my gift of my old KX and K lenses you see in my signature - and bought a Canon.

But she did encourage me to take up this avocation seriously - and helped me select the K10D

Last edited by monochrome; 04-03-2008 at 09:16 AM.
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
Software really costs next to nothing once the code has been written. OTOH, a camera costs a lot more to manufacture.

You are right, of course. Pentax cameras are very much the best deal out there in my opinion, and any time you can save $100 is a big deal. I was just saying that to most of the students I personally know, when you are talking about a purchase over $1000, $100 isn't enough to convince us to buy something we didn't already plan on.

I am glad Pentax is doing it, but I guess I am just sorry I can't take advantage of it at the moment.
04-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm the Photography Editor on my high school paper? Do you guys think that would count?
04-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
JMS

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
I'm the Photography Editor on my high school paper? Do you guys think that would count?
Probably. I'm starting work soon at a photo store, so I don't really care that I'm not eligible for the rebates. You oughta see the discount sheet!
04-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
If you have a student ID . . .