Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
Pentax at DFW Photo Expo

Hi everyone,

Ricoh Pentax had a booth again this year at the DFW Photo Expo in Arlington, TX, this weekend. The terrific Jessica Oleksy was there again -- she was also there last year. Canon had a very big booth; other than them, all the manufacturer booths were the same size: Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, etc.

Jessica worked the booth alone last year; this year, there was a second Pentax rep, and the booth was still jammed. The display had everything currently shipping: the K3; a red K50 with matching red kit lens; K500; stacks of Pentax glass for them; the WG3; the GR; and a complete Q7 system. The lens lineup included the 20-40 Limited; that lens on the K3 is just....solid. And fast. And solid. The combo reminds me of my classic Pentax stuff; the 135 1.8 ED on an LX, for example.

I'm a Q fan -- had my two there, and my daughter had hers. The Q system was surprisingly -- at least to me -- popular. Someone was always handling it, switching lenses, snapping away. Jessica had the Pentax Q to K converter, so of course we stuck the Limited on the Q7. It was...sick...

It was our first chance to handle a Q7, btb, and it is NOTICEABLY faster and sharper than the Q. The Q10 never seemed like much of an upgrade; the Q7 looks like a must.

Anyway, thought you'd all be interested. And wanted to send kudos to Jessica, who is doing great work getting the Pentax word out.

11-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Missed it. Glad you were able to go. I met her last year. That's where I got my Pentax coffee mug from. Did she have some this year? I'm still on the fence about the K3. I know I'm going to get it just waiting on the next firmware upgrade and flucard fix.
11-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I stopped by there with my wife for a couple hours. It was great seeing some glass I can't afford in person.
Tried out some new stuff; I didn't think it was possible, but the grip on the K3 is better than the K5 (at least for me).

Here's a shot of the booth with one of their 10-17's and I shot of a good sport with the new 20-40 Limited..

11-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
I stopped by there with my wife for a couple hours. It was great seeing some glass I can't afford in person.
Tried out some new stuff; I didn't think it was possible, but the grip on the K3 is better than the K5 (at least for me).

Here's a shot of the booth with one of their 10-17's and I shot of a good sport with the new 20-40 Limited..

10-17 old or there is new coming? Any more 20-40 shots?

11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax at DFW Photo EXPO

Jessica is a truly outstanding for rep for Ricoh Imaging aka Pentax!
11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It was an old 10-17. The 20-40 doesn't really appeal to me, so I didn't test it too much; plus it was back focusing on my k5. They had an odd assortment of lenses due to a burglary; I was hoping to test an FA77. I did however get more envious of the 60-250, which is out of my reach even used... A good alternative though is the new 55-300 WR= awesome. The screw drive is quiet I guess from the weather seals, but focuses quick and sharp. I couldn't tell much difference in the HD coatings on the DA limiteds, but ironically the expo was a terrible environment to test lenses; about 3-4 different dim light sources. I also would've played with the K3 a little more but it was a preproduction model that froze every few seconds, but it stayed on long enough to hear it fire off that 8fps shutter.
11-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
he lens lineup included the 20-40 Limited; that lens on the K3 is just....solid. And fast. And solid. The combo reminds me of my classic Pentax stuff; the 135 1.8 ED on an LX, for example.
You're probably the first person to actually handle that lens. Care to give more detailed feedback? Build, handling, etc?

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
Jessica had the Pentax Q to K converter,
That thing is nice, but so expensive for what it is.

11-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That thing is nice, but so expensive for what it is.
But way cheaper than getting equivalent focal length lenses (300-1000) for APS-C,
which may be oversized and overkill for many users (like me).
11-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Unlike the Aussies with their models in Pentax garb, you guys have Jessica, who can talk Pentax. Now we're in business. Come on you Aussies. Tell me you wouldn't love to talk Pentax with Jessica as opposed to just hanging around with those models., I know you would.

Who'd want to talk to these girls if they don't know the difference between a K-3 and a loaf of bread? Although I must admit, that guy looks happy. He's probably just faking it for the camera.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.660005930726761.1073741843.130482700345756&type=1
11-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that they are wearing 'PENTAX' and not 'RICOH' banners...

And 'Start Your Adventure' is great! Reminds me of 'It's Good to be FEARLESS"

-Heie
11-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that they are wearing 'PENTAX' and not 'RICOH' banners...
Yep, but many items are put on Ricoh stands

In Quebec city at the photo expo employees were wearing shirts with RIcoh on one sleeve and Pentax on the other. They considered themselves Pentax employees owned by Ricoh...
11-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I like the way they think….