Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report, it sounds like good things are coming. It's nice to read that Pentax have some staff that are genuinely enthusiastic about their products.

11-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you understand where f2.8 end? I mean DA20-40.
I have not tried it, I read on the net:
f2.8: 20mm - 29mm
f3.5: 30mm-39mm
f4: 40mm
11-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
Hi mbukal,
I've read that, too. It sounds a bit optimistic to me. I guess we'll have to wait until we have some controlled tests to see for sure.
My feeling is that, like most zooms, if you're in Av with the aperture set at f/2.8, and zoom out, the camera automatically recognizes the (new) widest aperture and uses it.
Which might account for the sample photos @ 26mm and f/3.5 and, the 40mm photo at f/4.0
Perhaps 20-25mm @ f/2.8
26-33mm @ f/3.5
34-40mm @ f/4.0
??
Ron
11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, too many to mention by name!
If you have any question at all I may have skipped or forgot to mention a few things said so ask away.
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
More than any lens or camera, to me this is the most important sentence of the entire report.

Excellent reportage, and you can feel the enthusiasm through your words and pictures.

-Heie

P.S., since we're all gearheads here...that flare control is EXTREMELY impressive!
I agree with your first statement Heie. The Focus Nordic staff (general agent for Pentax) were really hyped and enthusiastic about Pentax's future and it seemed to make the vidsitors the same. They were really honest in their critique of how the company had been run, the slight confusion in the merging/use of Ricoh and Pentax names in the marketing and the new challenges ahead.

I'm sure that Ricoh really have tried to boost the employees all the way down to consumer level with the mentioned restructure of the whole company. The staff gladly answered that Ricoh is the new owner of Pentax and how much pride they put in the Pentax section when peple asked about "What is Ricoh?".
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you understand where f2.8 end? I mean DA20-40.
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
Well, I personally don't think it's that interesting as the actual value in reality probably floats a bit. But I tried to shoot wide-open, there is olways a risk that I messed up a bit, but judging from my own pics it seems to switch to F3.5 before 30mm. Though I take no responsibility for the truth to that.

11-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Flare resistance looks impressive, maybe that is why the hood is so small
11-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Your report matches what I heard or felt when meeting with sales rep at the Quebec city photo expo a while ago. Except that they knew nothing, or claimed to know nothing, about the 20-40 at the time (it had been leaked here the very same morning). Sales rep are enthusiastic, motivated, and their booths drew a big crowd.

They also convinced me to upgrade to the K-3.
11-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #22

I was there as well. I sadly didn't manage to spend that much time at the pentax/ricoh booth. I was mainly there looking at EVFs and tripods, and had a friend's birthday party planned later that same day. I did notice they apparently didn't have the 645D to play with (which is probably just as well. When I held it last year, I was sorely tempted). I only played a little bit with the K-3, and didn't even notice that they had the new limited zoom. Other than that, the event was nice, if commercial is what you're looking for, which I was at the time.

As for how the 20/40 aperture works, I expect that the numbers on the LCDs don't matter at all. The f-stop value is a function of aperture size and set focal length. Now, f/2.8 and f/4 don't correspond to the same aperture size, so it does change with focal length. But that's likely to be a linear mechanical movement. As is the difference in f-stop as the focal length changes. So my guess is, it's totally linear.
11-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice job VD..hope Denmark gets a bit more Pentax press as well..now to wait until Q1 for the FF??? as you said Big plans and FF is Big(in relation to Aps-C)

11-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
As for how the 20/40 aperture works, I expect that the numbers on the LCDs don't matter at all. The f-stop value is a function of aperture size and set focal length. Now, f/2.8 and f/4 don't correspond to the same aperture size, so it does change with focal length. But that's likely to be a linear mechanical movement. As is the difference in f-stop as the focal length changes. So my guess is, it's totally linear.
Except that they can (and very likely do) limit the aperture willingly to make sure the lens is used in acceptable conditions at all times.
11-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
I was there as well. I sadly didn't manage to spend that much time at the pentax/ricoh booth. I was mainly there looking at EVFs and tripods, and had a friend's birthday party planned later that same day. I did notice they apparently didn't have the 645D to play with (which is probably just as well. When I held it last year, I was sorely tempted). I only played a little bit with the K-3, and didn't even notice that they had the new limited zoom. Other than that, the event was nice, if commercial is what you're looking for, which I was at the time.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/241156-da-limited-2...ml#post2594929