Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC DA Limiteds out of stock

Just noticed that B&H is now listing the SMC version of the DA 15mm limited, DA 35mm macro Limited and DA 70mm Limited as "temporarily out of stock". Adorama no longer has them listed on their web site. There are a few still listed on Amazon but not many and not by anyone I ever heard of.

The SMC DA 21mm Limited is still available on both B&H and Adorama.
The SMC DA 40mm Limited is still available at B&H but is gone from Adorama.

Possibly the transition to HD is going smoothly as the SMC versions seem to be drying up much faster than I expected.

11-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That was fast, indeed....
11-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The price difference was sometimes very significant. No surprises SMCs are gone now, most likely in orders together with many new K-3s.
11-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just noticed that B&H is now listing the SMC version of the DA 15mm limited, DA 35mm macro Limited and DA 70mm Limited as "temporarily out of stock". Adorama no longer has them listed on their web site. There are a few still listed on Amazon but not many and not by anyone I ever heard of.

The SMC DA 21mm Limited is still available on both B&H and Adorama.
The SMC DA 40mm Limited is still available at B&H but is gone from Adorama.

Possibly the transition to HD is going smoothly as the SMC versions seem to be drying up much faster than I expected.
I think the black friday sale is going to clear out most of B&H's remaining inventory. With the HD limiteds being announced in August I think the SMC's have had plenty of time to sell out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Japan some stores had sold out of the 21 and 40 even before the HD versions were available. They had a "please wait" sign on the shelf. All the SMC versions are now very hard to get hold of new, but there are more in the second hand shops. I guess some people just have to have the latest thing.

In fact, the price has dropped a little on the HD limited lenses. They don't cost that much more than their predecessors when all is told, and the silver versions are much cheaper then they used to be. I'll probably get a silver 70 when I get the funds together. Looking forward to the full review.
11-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

I was one to get the DA 70mm before they ran out at B & H. I actually waited until early this morning to pull the trigger rather than doing it yesterday. I'm glad I didn't wait too long! I debated between this particular lens and others but went with this one because it had such favorable reviews.

Last edited by JasenDean; 11-29-2013 at 06:37 PM.
11-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Dan

I was lucky enough to grab the SMC DA70 before they ran out. It was the only DA limited that I was missing. I thought about getting the new "red ring" HD version, but after seeing the star bursts produced by the HD versions I have decided to stick with the SMC versions. The SMC versions have excellent resistance to flare so there is not much to be gained in that regard with the new coatings. I also prefer the looks of the "green ring" versions, but in the end it was the superior star bursts and the price that made the difference. $399. Wow! I found it impossible to pass up such a great deal.

Dan
11-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

I am with you on that $399 being hard to pass up. I've read plenty in the last few months on the different SMC lenses and had my eye on the 70. When the price popped up at midnight Thursday morning at $399 I was stoked! Look forward to hearing your take on the lens once you get it.

Jasen

11-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The SMC 15mm may very well be a sought after classic. I popped on one, too.
11-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by JasenDean Quote
I am with you on that $399 being hard to pass up. I've read plenty in the last few months on the different SMC lenses and had my eye on the 70. When the price popped up at midnight Thursday morning at $399 I was stoked! Look forward to hearing your take on the lens once you get it.

Jasen
I'm looking forward to testing it out. I hope that I get a good copy, since it won't be possible to send it back for a replacement (although with B&H one can always get a refund). I am not overly concerned, since the first copies I received of all of my other DA Limited lenses were excellent, free of centering defects. That has not been my experience with other Pentax lenses, especially Pentax zoom lenses. I had to try three (!) copies of the DA12-24 to find one that was properly centered at all focal lengths. Fortunately the third copy was great, although ever since getting the DA15 limited I don't use the 12-24 very often. I prefer the combination of the DA15 and the DA21. (My copy of the DA21 is particularly good.)

I'm hoping that my run of good luck with the DA Limiteds holds up! Those little lenses are a joy to use.

Dan

Last edited by Dan; 11-30-2013 at 12:22 AM.
11-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I've been trying to order one of the limited units all day from Adorama.... it won't let me add it to the cart, goes to "page not found"... they must be having a good day.
I'm concerned this won't get fixed before it goes off sale or they run out... very frustrating.
11-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I scored a DA 70 too. Hadn't planned on it, but at $399 I couldn't afford NOT to buy one! I had been looking at some used ones at KEH but couldn't resist the new ones for less than the used ones...
11-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got one of the DA 15mm, went back an hour later to check and it was listed as out of stock. That's close. I missed the $499 sale for that lens at Adorama, so I'm glad I got this one.
11-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I bought one of the DA 70 limiteds for $399 as well, and it shipped yesterday. I had thought about buying one more than once in the past, but once it hit this price I jumped on it. That gives me the 21mm, 40mm and 70mm in the limiteds. Nice compact kit to go along with my 2 K-01 bodies. All that stuff was bought either at last year's Good Friday deals or in the case of the second K-01 when the prices came down even more, and now the 70 at this year's GF sale. Thanks, Adam for keeping us all informed of all the great deals!!! I saved a good chunk of money on all that equipment.
12-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
I bought one of the DA 70 limiteds for $399 as well, and it shipped yesterday. I had thought about buying one more than once in the past, but once it hit this price I jumped on it. That gives me the 21mm, 40mm and 70mm in the limiteds. Nice compact kit to go along with my 2 K-01 bodies. All that stuff was bought either at last year's Good Friday deals or in the case of the second K-01 when the prices came down even more, and now the 70 at this year's GF sale. Thanks, Adam for keeping us all informed of all the great deals!!! I saved a good chunk of money on all that equipment.
That`s the thing that winds me up. In the UK that equates to about 250.
There`s not a cat in hell`s chance of them being anywhere near that over here.