Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax service in Finland

We've started a discussion about this in the Finnish user group, but it has some international interest too so here it is: Focus Nordic, the importer of Pentax gear to Finland and Scandinavia, has decided to quit having Pentax served in Finland. Instead you should now send your gear to Sweden.
This may be a small deal for someone just outing his gear every two weeks or so but for professionals and serious amateurs it could well be a deal breaker, especially since the company that used to service Pentax (JAS-kamerat) most likely was the best camera service shop in Finland in general.
To confuse it some more, on Pentax pages you are advised to contact a company that apparently isn't in business any more, not in the camera business anyway.
How many other countries without a repair shop of your own is there?
This really doesn't encourage investments in the brand if you live in Finland.

12-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #2

Thanks for the info.

Sounds bad to me.
12-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I would be upset. On the other hand, it probably does not differ much from shipping it from one state in the US to the repair centre in another state in the US.
12-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
it probably does not differ much from shipping it from one state in the US to the repair centre in another state
Well, it does some: Different language, different currency, a sea in between which means you cannot use the bus package service. For me personally it means I cannot just walk in to the repair shop in my home town and sit down while the mechanic takes a look, or leave the camera to be serviced, go home and get a call telling me what's wrong within an hour. The JAS camera repair is well within reach from most of Southern Finland.
It still services Nikon and Canon.

12-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Too bad sweden is not in the Euro zone.
Are you sure this retailer/repair label has made it's irrevocable decision ?
12-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Its here in Ricoh webpage Huolto - PENTAX Photo

Oh shit, before Jas maintenance was 15mins from my home, now it will take few days by post...and I am planning to take my K5 to maintenance this month. It says there that can also give gear to seller and seller will send to maontenance. Well seller is 200km away from here. Prkl
12-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

At least the swedish service is really god.

12-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
For me personally it means I cannot just walk in to the repair shop in my home town and sit down while the mechanic takes a look, or leave the camera to be serviced, go home and get a call telling me what's wrong within an hour.
I've never seen that luxury in Canada, even in Toronto, no matter which repair shop you use. You usually have to wait a minimum of a week before they look at the camera.

When I had my Zeiss binoculars serviced I had to take them to Gentec in Toronto, which had to send them to Zeiss in Front Royal, Virginia. It was 3 months before they looked at the binoculars and another 3 months to order the parts, service the binoculars and send them back.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 12-02-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: omission
12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well in Denmark we must send to Focus Nordic as well..very fast service last time I used them..so really no problems

'Too bad sweden is not in the Eurozone'???????? Hello Sweden has been part of EU since it began..its the country next to Norway and across from Finland....but Norway is not part of the EU
12-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Well in Denmark we must send to Focus Nordic as well..very fast service last time I used them..so really no problems

'Too bad sweden is not in the Eurozone'???????? Hello Sweden has been part of EU since it began..its the country next to Norway and across from Finland....but Norway is not part of the EU
Look there (click on 2011) :

BCE: La carte de la zone euro 1999 ? 2014

=> Sweden is part of European Union, but only Finland is part of Euro zone.
Of course Norway is neither
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Look there (click on 2011) :

BCE: La carte de la zone euro 1999 ? 2014

=> Sweden is part of European Union, but only Finland is part of Euro zone.
Of course Norway is neither
ok you meant the $$ zone.yes .. we no want Euro!!Sweden,Denamrk,UK & can't remember. but laws are the same on consumer rights etc... but Pentax needs to do some serious marketing here if they want to sell more ..service is fast at repair shop,but one must go through a dealer which can be sloooow here
12-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #12

The repair shop for Austrian Pentaxians is in Germany. At least, both Germany and Austria are members of the Euro-Zone and share a common language ...
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #13

Oh suckedi suck! It's strange how now matter what the topic, customer service just keeps getting worse. This will definitely affect my gear decisions now that I'm planning to upgrade to a more capable sports system, be it Pentax or something else. I have all the faith in the Swedes and their capability to do the job. However, not only do I resent that it will take more time to get stuff repaired or fixed, but the fact that the Finnish customers are not regarded as an important enough group and thus not worthy of decent customer support, that makes me wonder if Pentax is worthy of my continuous support and loyality as a customer. Too bad. My friend is also a Nikon dealer, so maybe I should look into that option.
12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There is large RICOH building in Raisio, only few minutes from my home, but I will send my PENTAX to sweden...
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Well, it does some: Different language, different currency, a sea in between which means you cannot use the bus package service. For me personally it means I cannot just walk in to the repair shop in my home town and sit down while the mechanic takes a look, or leave the camera to be serviced, go home and get a call telling me what's wrong within an hour. The JAS camera repair is well within reach from most of Southern Finland.
It still services Nikon and Canon.
I apologize. My reply was based on the fact that both coutries are part of the EU and based on that the assumption that there is free flow of goods between the two countries and that both used the Euro. I missed the language barrier, though.