Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It is obvious that there are still k5ii camera bodies out there for sell, but Pentax must have stopped making them otherwise bhphoto would probably be the first to order more. Since bhphoto was selling the k5ii for such a discounted price a few weeks ago, they may have run out first. The k5iis was still more expensive, which is probably why they still have stock left., or it is still possibly being produced. Adorama is not showing the k5ii in stock anymore either, just the k5iis. And the K30 remained on Pentax's website for some time after it was discontinued too, so that doesn't tell you much. Either bhphoto is done with ordering more, or the amount of new k5ii out there really may be drying up.

12-19-2013, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they should keep the K5II in production for another year as these are spectacular cameras that are still state of the art. While I have a K3, the K5IIs produces a clalrity of image that I have never seen before.

Dale
12-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
I think they should keep the K5II in production for another year as these are spectacular cameras that are still state of the art. While I have a K3, the K5IIs produces a clalrity of image that I have never seen before.

Dale
But for Pentax, justifying K500-K50-K5-K3 is a bit hard IMO.
12-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But for Pentax, justifying K500-K50-K5-K3 is a bit hard IMO.
I think they need a 4 SKU line:
k-500 $475 w/18-55
k-50 $575 w/18-55
k-5IIs $1055 w/18-55
k-3 $1100 (body only)

What I'm confused about is why the k-5II has held it's price and the k-3 has dropped so fast. I expected the k-5II to be in the $700-800 range by now. The k-3 @ $1100 may be just a sale, most vendors are at $1299 for the k-3. But that leaves plenty of room on the upside for another high end camera and a sweet spot at $800 for the k-5II.

12-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As may have been pointed out somewhere else on this thread, it is not unusual for B&H to mark an item as discontinued when they are unable to obtain stock only to inexplicably begin carrying the same item a few weeks later.

Both the K-5II and K-5IIs are listed as current product on the Ricoh Imaging (USA) Web site and are available for purchase at the Pentax Web store.

Steve
12-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I thought they might keep the K-5ii/s around for another year or so to fill that gap between the 50 and the 3... It appears not.

The K5 II/s is a fantastic camera, and it fares well in the mid-range photo enthusiast level. Personally I feel it sits in a good position between the K30 and K3 models. On a quality stand point, "amazing", but that's just my opinion.
12-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by liquid0 Quote
The K5 II/s is a fantastic camera, and it fares well in the mid-range photo enthusiast level. Personally I feel it sits in a good position between the K30 and K3 models. On a quality stand point, "amazing", but that's just my opinion.
I think I can agree with that. I bought mine solely as a foul weather camera. I have only had it for 3 weeks but I have had lots of foul weather to test it in. Yesterday was a winter rain storm turned ice storm and it held up famously. Now if only I knew how to take pictures.

12-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #53
Veteran Member

K-5 II/s can still be amazing, if they are upgraded with some features, like the new focusing system from K-3, High speed UHS 1 card compatibility, Flucard compatibility, and a new processor.

That's the short list
12-21-2013, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Actually, if the Q system were WR I wouldn't need any of these dSLRs.

A tad faster autofocus wouldn't hurt either...

...but that isn't even that big of a deal to me.
12-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
It is obvious that there are still k5ii camera bodies out there for sell, but Pentax must have stopped making them otherwise bhphoto would probably be the first to order more. Since bhphoto was selling the k5ii for such a discounted price a few weeks ago, they may have run out first. The k5iis was still more expensive, which is probably why they still have stock left., or it is still possibly being produced. Adorama is not showing the k5ii in stock anymore either, just the k5iis. And the K30 remained on Pentax's website for some time after it was discontinued too, so that doesn't tell you much. Either bhphoto is done with ordering more, or the amount of new k5ii out there really may be drying up.
Or they want to draw down their inventory before year end to manage the annual Merchants and Manufacturers tax assessment.
12-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was really on the fence about whether to get a K5II or a K3 - but I have the K3 now. If the K5II is better than this I'll never be able to close my mouth again.
12-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I think I can agree with that. I bought mine solely as a foul weather camera. I have only had it for 3 weeks but I have had lots of foul weather to test it in. Yesterday was a winter rain storm turned ice storm and it held up famously. Now if only I knew how to take pictures.
That's why I chose Pentax out of all other brands, it's probably the best option within reasonable price available in market. Weather resistant and build quality is very good, not to mention IQ which is just as important, especially when taking photographs in extreme conditions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Now if only I knew how to take pictures
All you need is passion for this hobby, and inspiration will carry you to further levels. Just use your camera, and if time and energy permits integrate as much DSLR documents into your awareness as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
K-5 II/s can still be amazing, if they are upgraded with some features, like the new focusing system from K-3, High speed UHS 1 card compatibility, Flucard compatibility, and a new processor.
That's the short list
The k5II/s is fine the way it is. Pentax released a K3 for obvious reasons don't you think?
12-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

@liquid0. K-5 II/s are fine, OK. But they have to be replaced, sometime, sooner or later. If this possible, with no big changes, with technologies already available, why not.
12-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #59
Pentaxian

They're more than fine; but the K-3 appears to be even better
12-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Case in point, I started out with the K-x -- 3-4 months later the K-r was released. I then got a K-30 -- 3-4 months later the K-50 was released. I then got a K-5 II -- 3-4 months later the new mid tier body will outclass it.
k-r came out almost 2 years after the k-x
k-50 came out a year later after the k-30 (still scratching my head around that)