Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yep, looks pretty good.
Looked at the sample images, but all are filled with featureless material at the edges (deep, near black evergreen trees at the edge could be imaged as well by the traditional "bottom of a Coke bottle"), and three of the four have essentially nothing near the center of the frame that would permit reasonable evaluation of IQ. Would like to see an image of a complex, richly ornate interior and also a monotonous brick wall. Is the lens better in resolution, CA, distortion than a Sigma 10-20? or Sigma 8-16? or Tamron super-wide zoom? or a distortion-corrected cropped image from a Pentax 10-17? or a similarly PP'd image from a Samyang-Bower-Vivitar-etc 8mm? Has to be very sharp at f2.8 with very good distortion control to justify that price.

05-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #47

I have the multi-brand 8mm APS-C lens, and the nice 17-50mm Sigma zoom, but I've been thinking of the Tamron Adaptall 17mm just because I recently bought the hood.
05-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #48
Pentaxian

The Samyang 10mm has been reviewed over at ephotozine:

Samyang 10mm f/2.8 ED AS NCS CS Lens Review
05-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #49
Veteran Member

That review has very positive results. The flare and CA performance are what is really exciting

05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #50

I clicked on the review link, and wasn't happy to get a pop-up saying that my phone was inflected, and had to download an app to clean it up.
05-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I clicked on the review link, and wasn't happy to get a pop-up saying that my phone was inflected, and had to download an app to clean it up.
And of course you believed the pop-up, right?
05-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I got a pop up on my s3 just like that from a different site today too.... hmmmm

05-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #53
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered this lens. I was hoping there would be more reviews and sample images online, particularly for astrophotography. But I can always return it if I don't like it. If it's good I'll probably sell my 14mm f2.8 lens. I'm planning to put the lens to the test on Friday night for a meteor shower.
05-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I just ordered this lens. I was hoping there would be more reviews and sample images online, particularly for astrophotography. But I can always return it if I don't like it. If it's good I'll probably sell my 14mm f2.8 lens. I'm planning to put the lens to the test on Friday night for a meteor shower.
I'm considering this lens too for the same purpose (astrophotography). I'm just waiting for the Lenstip review, because they're the only ones I know of that test for coma.

I wonder why other review sites don't test for coma. It's not like it's difficult. There are no convoluted measuring algorithms involved. Just need a dark environment and a point source of light, like a laser pointer, in the corner. Take shots at various apertures and post the photos. The images speak for themselves.
05-19-2014, 03:53 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I hate to say it, but I've decided to send the 10mm lens back. Not only does the focus ring not stop at infinity, all the markings appear to be off, and the ring turns more easily than I think it should. All of this I could live with, but it does add up to a nuisance.

The other thing I realized is that I can do practically everything this lens does with the 7.5mm fisheye on my Olympus. I got PTLens software, so I can de-fish the images, and the IQ is actually pretty closely comparable. It's way smaller and lighter, only one stop slower, the focus ring works perfectly, and each shot I snap is potentially both a fisheye and a rectilinear image. (But I do have to mind the aperture ring, since it's all manual.)
I was going to tell myself to write out "I don't need another wide angle lens", 10,000 times. My 8-16, 12-24 and 10-17 will do just fine for astro. The O-GPS1 will compensate for the smaller apertures and slower glass. My checkbook thanks you.....

05-22-2014, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #56
krp
Veteran Member

I ordered the last Pentax mount lens from Beach Camera and I got it in only 3 days. Compared to the Samyang 14mm, f2.8, the 10mm is just slightly longer and heavier. Here are a couple sample images from yesterday.

I'll have a few hundred shots of the night sky (and hopefully meteors) after tomorrow night.
05-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I'll have a few hundred shots of the night sky (and hopefully meteors) after tomorrow night.
A few of us over here in Europe are mighty envious about that meteor shower which will not really be visible here (coinciding with the early morning hours). Please do post a few of your shots!
06-04-2014, 11:46 AM - 3 Likes   #58
krp
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
A few of us over here in Europe are mighty envious about that meteor shower which will not really be visible here (coinciding with the early morning hours). Please do post a few of your shots!
You didn't miss much. But I did catch one bright meteor:

Here's some more shots with the lens here Flickr
I've only had the lens 2 weeks but it's already enabled to get some shots that I would have missed otherwise. If I only had my 14mm lens I would have missed that meteor and not been able to capture the entire storm in the link above.
06-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Wow, some really stunning photos there (as well as the ones posted in this thread)
06-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

You didn't miss much. But I did catch one bright meteor:

I've only had the lens 2 weeks but it's already enabled to get some shots that I would have missed otherwise. If I only had my 14mm lens I would have missed that meteor and not been able to capture the entire storm in the link above.
Thank you--magnificent meteor shot!