Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This computer translation is a lot easier to follow.
But it did balk at "mirrorless" (ミラーレス).

12-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #182
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
But it did balk at "mirrorless" (ミラーレス).
Half the members of this forum balk at mirrorless.
12-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

???? ???????? - ????? ??
Thanks for that. Imagine that – Excite comes back from being overrun as a search engine by Google, and turns in a better translator than Google's. It's still far from perfect, but much more readable.

I think this version agrees with what I discerned earlier – the major challenge has been implementing SR in a light, compact FF35 body. There's no hint of adopting a mirrorless solution at this time.
12-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #184
Banned

???? ???????? - ????? ??
This sentence tells all about auto translations:

"However, in fact, he is Mr. Endo." ...

12-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #185
Veteran Member

So, this guy is telling us that camera systems should be about the IQ, not about the amount of pixels or sensor size. Now while that's true, he also claims the K-3 trumps the FF systems in IQ. That sounds like making up excuses to me. Stalling.

Cheer up guys, the next fake Pentax FF rumor is always just around the corner.
12-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
I'm inclined to say that Pentax should stay with APS-C, and avoid going to FF. It's too late to get into FF and find a decent business opportunity after the D600 and the 6D. Sony has already delved into FF with the RX1 and the alpha 7. It's 2 years late, at least. But that 2-years just killed Pentax. It's so sad that Hoya, not Ricoh at the time, bought Pentax. Even the K-3 doesn't look like to sell much, so Pentax would be fine to upgrade APS-C and the 645D, IMO.
Something was missing from this thread... what was it? Oh, yes: Pentax is doomed!
12-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Something was missing from this thread... what was it? Oh, yes: Pentax is doomed!
IMHO ... there's no need to write this !!! ... It's always understood and implied ... Salut, J

12-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thanks for that. Imagine that – Excite comes back from being overrun as a search engine by Google, and turns in a better translator than Google's. It's still far from perfect, but much more readable.

I think this version agrees with what I discerned earlier – the major challenge has been implementing SR in a light, compact FF35 body. There's no hint of adopting a mirrorless solution at this time.
I don't think this part of the interview is about FF, but small compact entry level DSLR. With SR Pentax has a hard time competing with lightweight cameras like Canon SL1 and Sony A3000 (400g). The size and weight of high end DSLR are not as critical (APS-C or FF).
12-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #189
Veteran Member

This translations, strengthens my belief that Pentax FF camera will come this year.
12-26-2013, 07:44 AM - 9 Likes   #190

Hey, guys.

I just translated the second interview with Mr. Endo. But that isn't the whole interiew because it's very long. I translated two thirds which is on DSLR body and lens, and the remaining one third is on GR and smartphones. I put only Mr. Endo's quote, so I omit the interviewer's remark. I'm not entitled to say that my translation is perffect, but I hope you can see what Mr. Endo means.

Here it is.

----------------------------------------------

It’s clear that we are not a company to do the same with others, and invest management and development resources into the same area. We have to focus on various factors to make attractive products for those who can clearly say “I like photos”. It doesn’t mean that the straightforward way is the best, but it’s important to have a say in the market in terms of sales strategy. We have made a lineup of camera bodies and lenses for photo-lovers, and will keep doing the same.

We had an innovation in image processing technology in the development of the K-5II, and as a result offered a model without an anti-aliasing filter. Before that, we developed the structure to have the same effects with an optical anti-aliasing filter by using the SR with magnets and coils. It’s great to launch the K-3 to realize those effects this year, which embodies Pentax to meet customer’s expectations. Also announcing the first zoom lens in Limited series, we are now here to show what Pentax’s mid-level DSLR is.

We have set the foundation to take a new turn by launching products, though it took much time to develop a selectable anti-aliasing filter.

We announced the Q7 which is a high IQ model with a 1/1.7-inch BSI CMOS sensor in Q series. Adding to that, we launched the GR with an APS-C sensor. The unprecedented demand has been seen because of the bigger sensor size. The place of GR has been unshakable in the category of high compact cameras.

We will decide which brand (Pentax or Ricoh) we use according to a marketing plan, not by mechanical categorization.

Being Pentax means to live up to the know-how and brand with a long history of making cameras as a tool to shoot landscape. We developed various technologies and functions to produce better field cameras. The selectable anti-aliasing filter is one example.

With or without an anti-aliasing filter is important for those who choose Pentax’s DSLR. On average, 80% select a camera with an anti-aliasing filter if selecting between a camera with an anti-aliasing filter and one without it. But in the case of K-5II, nearly half select a camera without an anti-aliasing filter.

That means there are so many customers who put importance on landscape shooting to look for more detailed information in image. Using a selectable anti-aliasing filter, you select not only an on/off of anti-aliasing but also the strength of anti-aliasing effects.

This function cannot be done without the mechanism of SR. Only Pentax can do that because of the SR which is Pentax’s tradition. You don’t have to care about moire in a daily use, while realizing the resolution to be required in field cameras.

We have included a 100% coverage of optical viewfinder and water-proof into an entry-class camera, though we have done it with a mid-level camera since years ago. It’s also Pentax’s tradition along with the SR. We developed it, thinking that it’s very natural as Pentax’s camera.

We don’t deny that we lost opportunity in the advent of a high-class mirrorless camera. We are going to consider how we improve our products. But we are an optical product maker, so we are going to take it into consideration.

Ricoh Imaging is a company which adopts the largest number of lens mount. There is no other company that handles so many SLRs from the Q to the 645D. It’s critical for Ricoh Imaging to prioritize the improvement of so many mounts. That’s the top priority, and we don’t think that we need a high-class mirrorless camera now.

According to the research for Pentax camera users, we found that they have recently put much importance on whether it’s easy or not to look through a view-finder. There are many who think that a view-finder is indispensable, though you can shoot photos with mirrorless cameras. The EVF is evolving tremendously, but there is no alternative other than a pentaprism in terms of easiness to look through it.

Pentax is a company which has stuck with a pentaprism. We are going to put emphasis on compactness, while being with a clear and broad view-finder.

It’s possible to include a selectable anti-aliasing filter into an entry-model, because we have the SR in a low-end model. Our entry-class model has a 100% coverage of view-finder with a water-proof lens. We have a culture of expanding valuable functions into an entry-model. We don’t include worse and cheaper functions, but it’s possible to include a selectable anti-aliasing filter into the other products if times are appropriate.

We can’t say for sure what application it is, but it’s possible to extract more features to add very detailed movement by the unit of micron momentarily. “Logically possible” doesn’t mean shooting good photos, so we are going to examine the function to be included in the real products by developing with various ideas.

The SR needs magnets, coils, and frames with high stiffness, so it tends to be big and heavy. We made smaller bodies with an artisan technique in the production process. SR’s largeness and heaviness dominates the portability, while the trend of SLR’s body is to become small and light.

We are going to look for our own value by making the SR much smaller, while improving the SR. We are going to expand the function into low-priced models, and include new factors into high-end models.

There are three lens series, DA, Star, and Limited, for K-mount. But customers don’t realize the feature of each brand.

You may think that the definition of the Limited lens is vague because of a zoom lens. But we have no plan to make the Limited lineup complete. The Limited lens has a focal length and function with strong objectives, which isn’t seen in the other lens lineups. We have shown the total experience including touch and handling with metal barrel. We are going to develop for those who understand a lens with a character.

We aren’t going to change that plan. Our lens is not expensive and high-spec, but you can use it up upon understanding its value and meaning. It’s not necessarily required if addressed in terms of necessity, but our customers want it. We are going to be competent in the field of IQ and photo’s taste.

We are going to make a full lineup in the other series. There is little left for a lens from the point of marketing like focal length with strong objectives to be included in the space of the full lineup. We are going to consider it. We are going to increase a lineup with the newly-developed HD coating.

We have kept developing FF, and are struggling to produce it. Our value in DSLR is on the SR, so we have to launch after making it practical in terms of weight and shape along with SR’s performance. We are going to do it when we realize that we can offer a body which is really like Pentax. At that time, we will have to develop lenses for FF.

Last edited by Daikokuya; 12-26-2013 at 08:27 AM.
12-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The second interview is interesting. When asked about the smartphone as a threat to the market, he says that in fact it represents a growth of the market for photographers. The quality of output from the phones will disappoint, and the higher end offerings are there to provide better iq for those who want it.
I would agree. There are many many young folks who have a knack and desire to take photos and want to push it further than the phone is capable.
Perhaps moving a bit off-topic, but still one section of the interview.

My elder daughter is a fairly accomplished film photographer but career demands have reduced her still photography output to nothing more than iPhone. I wrapped up and gave her one of the deal Q/02 kits I bought last June as a "filler" present yesterday and she spent about ten minutes explaining how she likes the color profile of her mother's photographs (Q or K-01) and was going to ask me to take her shopping after holiday sales. She spent about ten minutes waxing euphoric about the color profiles Pentax builds into their cameras.

Apparently her network news division uses Sony field cams but has installed a proprietary color profile that mimics the 5D - the On-Air talent likes that color profile and since they bring in the BigBux . . . . - but few if any of the videographers can field-focus an actual 5D.

Well I thought it was interesting anyway. Back to your discussion.
12-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #192
JPT
Pentaxian

There are limitations to what the Ricoh people are going to say in these interviews. They are not going to say things that compromise the sales of their current products. They are not going to say things that reveal their plans to their competitors. They are not going to make promises they can't fulfil. Given these limitations, I am quite encouraged by the comments. My understanding is . . .

- They are still working on FF and not afraid to admit it.
- FF is likely to be based on an K-mount/OVF configuration.
- A 645D successor is to be expected soon.
- The innovations in the K-3 will be extended to other models.
- We can expect more innovations related to the SR technology.
- They are likely to release GR variants in other focal lengths.
- They understand that the only only money in compact cameras is in particular niches, like WR, high-end and super zoom.

The only real negative here is is that they don't seem to have a plan to tackle the mirrorless market, but that might just be because the interviewers didn't ask about it. I think K-mount would be more diverse and attractive to potential customers if there were a mirrorless model in the line-up, but so far there is no sign of a K-01 successor.
12-26-2013, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

Thanks for that, for those of us who have become somewhat versed in corporate double speak, it was an interesting read. The message is pretty clear, and I like what they are thinking.

QuoteQuote:
Our lens is not expensive and high-spec, but you can use it up upon understanding its value and meaning. It’s not necessarily required if addressed in terms of necessity, but our customers want it. We are going to be competent in the field of IQ and photo’s taste.
Did he just find a way to say, "Lenses designed for the way people take pictures, not for the test charts" a new way? Every time someone demands a high spec lens, I wish I could have them repeat this 10 times. Having the highest technical spec is just not in the companies plan. Having the best value for the money is. There are more people criticizing Pentax because they don't understand this philosophy, than perhaps any other reason. It's a smart plan for a small company.
12-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #194
Pentaxian

There are limitations to what the Ricoh people are going to say in these interviews. They are not going to say things that compromise the sales of their current products. They are not going to say things that reveal their plans to their competitors. They are not going to make promises they can't fulfil. Given these limitations, I am quite encouraged by the comments. My understanding is . . .

- They are still working on FF and not afraid to admit it.
- FF is likely to be based on an K-mount/OVF configuration.
- A 645D successor is to be expected soon.
- The innovations in the K-3 will be extended to other models.
- We can expect more innovations related to the SR technology.
- They are likely to release GR variants in other focal lengths.
- They understand that the only only money in compact cameras is in particular niches, like WR, high-end and super zoom.

The only real negative here is is that they don't seem to have a plan to tackle the mirrorless market, but that might just be because the interviewers didn't ask about it. I think K-mount would be more diverse and attractive to potential customers if there were a mirrorless model in the line-up, but so far there is no sign of a K-01 successor.
Nice summary, precisely to the point.
Indeed, they won't go into specifics in such interviews. Some information is indeed going around, in closed circles - sometimes surfacing in rumors; but not much; assuming what's publicly known is all there is would be a mistake.
In fact I'm a bit amazed on how well guarded their secrets are. I was expecting some product-specific rumors, maybe from our Russian friends - but, if there was anything, it was at most a passing comment.

I don't see their lack of plans about large sensor mirrorless as a negative, though; they're explaining how difficult it would be, as they already have 3 mounts to take care about. Obviously, doing it would mean hurting the K-mount, and/or the 645D (Q requires IMO too few resources, so that even killing it completely would not suffice). That would be a negative
With mirrorless losing some ground this year, I'd say there is time - and it's OK to still prioritize the DSLRs.
12-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
The SR needs magnets, coils, and frames with high stiffness, so it tends to be big and heavy. We made smaller bodies with an artisan technique in the production process. SR’s largeness and heaviness dominates the portability, while the trend of SLR’s body is to become small and light.
This sounds contradictory...like they can't make things smaller but they need to because the market is headed that way.
It does sounds like SR-AA is coming to the low end though. I'm hoping they add SR-AA to video as well to get rid of the moire issues of the non-full-sensor video scanline system.
Thanks for the translation!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Apparently her network news division uses Sony field cams but has installed a proprietary color profile that mimics the 5D - the On-Air talent likes that color profile and since they bring in the BigBux . . . . - but few if any of the videographers can field-focus an actual 5D.
That's weird because their videographers should be using an external monitor w/ focus peaking if they're part of a news network that has the pocket money for a $1K external screen...