Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yeah, and 3 revamped FA ltds is a much more complete lineup then the 5 currently existing Sony FE lenses. That is objective?
Sony can launch as many lenses as they like - to me it's completely immaterial. I don't want a Sony. Currently, I have lenses ranging from 8mm to 300mm for my Pentaxes, with no gaps. That's more than enough for me.

12-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
God forbid I should ever connect a Sony camera - or anything that has ever been inside a Sony camera - to my computer.

Can you say, ROOTKIT?
12-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #303
Pentaxian

That was another Sony division I'm connecting my Sony smartphone to the PC with no ill-effects (I like their phones, they have style).

If we properly count "official" Pentax full-frame lenses, add DAs which happens to cover the format, include 3rd-party lenses and those currently not in production but which had found their way in our bags, I guess we'll get a bit more than 5 Besides, Pentax would definitely launch new lenses together with their "full frame".
Compared with Sony's 5 (not all of them being available), and considering that we don't want Sony cameras, I'd say it's a clear win for Pentax
12-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Legitimacy is not free.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... to suggest there should be a Rite of Passage before an opinion should be valid.
I need to see about 500 posts before I'll consider an opinion valid.

Of course, that can be fast-tracked with a $20 Paypal contribution to me - immediate legitimacy then. (I'm adopting the phone app model. Candy Crush is reportedly making $900,000/day profit.)

12-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That was another Sony division I'm connecting my Sony smartphone to the PC with no ill-effects (I like their phones, they have style).

If we properly count "official" Pentax full-frame lenses, add DAs which happens to cover the format, include 3rd-party lenses and those currently not in production but which had found their way in our bags, I guess we'll get a bit more than 5 Besides, Pentax would definitely launch new lenses together with their "full frame".
Compared with Sony's 5 (not all of them being available), and considering that we don't want Sony cameras, I'd say it's a clear win for Pentax
Actually, the A7/A7r is a decent solution for Sony and for a lot of potential buyers. Following on the Nex adapter theme with a more traditional body. But that's the whole point - it is a NEX in a traditional looking body, albeit with a FF sensor. So it has all the drawbacks of a NEX that have been discussed at length here before.

From Ken Rockwell (somewhat dated information):
"The Sony A7 is really an NEX camera with the NEX mount. It doesn't use the Alpha or Minolta MAXXUM mount, although Sony seems to be trying to make the A7 look like an SLR and pretend it's an Alpha/Minolta mount. You can buy LA-E3 and LA-E4 adapters from Sony for the Alpha or Minolta MAXXUM mounts, but I don't know if they autofocus.

The NEX mount itself is mostly useless for full-frame (except for the new ones below, there are no full-frame NEX lenses), but adapters from every other mounts are everywhere. I suspect the A7 may be a much better camera than the M typ. 240, and will also actually be available for sale and for less than one-quarter the price.

The funny part is that I've been waiting over a year for my own LEICA M typ. 240, and it just arrived a day before this announcement. Sadly, it's just a loaner, but with the A7, I'll probably own a Sony A7 long before I can buy an M typ. 240. The LEICA M 240 is in such short supply it sells for more used over eBay than new."
12-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #306
Pentaxian

I currently have an FA 50, A DA 35, a Tamron 90, A Sigma 70, a VIvatar 135, an FA 35-80, a A-50 ƒ2, and my A-400 ƒ5.6 all of which are FF glass. Pentax doesn't have to release another piece of FF glass to keep me happy. IN fact, apart from the 31 and 77, I can't think of a piece of FF glass I'd even want. OK, so the Rokinon 24 tilt shift, but that's coming already.

I already own 8 FF lenses. And I don't even own an FF camera (well unless you count the film cameras.) This "need for lenses" thing is being blown way out of proportion.
12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #307
Pentaxian

Monochrome:
Yes, indeed it's a decent solution and quite popular, too. I just don't want it, and neither does Cynog Ap Brychan

12-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I need to see about 500 posts before I'll consider an opinion valid.

Of course, that can be fast-tracked with a $20 Paypal contribution to me - immediate legitimacy then. (I'm adopting the phone app model. Candy Crush is reportedly making $900,000/day profit.)

No one is legitimate until they've corrected me, on one of those wild posts where I look at 25 different pieces of vaguely related information and come up with one of those wild conclusions, that makes sense only in the bizarre context I've created for it. If they can't see through that stuff, they have no credibility.
12-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
My "claims" (i.e. opinions) stands by the means of argumentation and logic, as they should. I'd be happy to hear counter-arguments and counter-logic to prove them otherwise, because that would correct my perspective about Pentax (which is IMHO much more important than "winning" an argument over internet). Seeing your responses, I'd say there is no chance of this happening
Please don't try to make from a difference in opinions a "personal war". I simply disagree with some of your views; there's nothing beyond that.
Indeed. I don't think I have any "real" pictures here. I have one picture which I posted as an example of challenging light and 1500mm eq focal length, and someone looking to discredit me in a similar fashion used it as an example of how my opinions weren't valid.

I don't like the look of pictures uploaded here, didn't want to learn the process, and I don't want people to confuse monitor to monitor differences as my intent with a picture.

If someone would like to see my pictures I can send them some prints. Doesn't make my (or your) opinions valid or invalid.
12-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #310

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Actually, the A7/A7r is a decent solution for Sony and for a lot of potential buyers. Following on the Nex adapter theme with a more traditional body. But that's the whole point - it is a NEX in a traditional looking body, albeit with a FF sensor. So it has all the drawbacks of a NEX that have been discussed at length here before.

From Ken Rockwell (somewhat dated information):
"The Sony A7 is really an NEX camera with the NEX mount. It doesn't use the Alpha or Minolta MAXXUM mount, although Sony seems to be trying to make the A7 look like an SLR and pretend it's an Alpha/Minolta mount. You can buy LA-E3 and LA-E4 adapters from Sony for the Alpha or Minolta MAXXUM mounts, but I don't know if they autofocus.

The NEX mount itself is mostly useless for full-frame (except for the new ones below, there are no full-frame NEX lenses), but adapters from every other mounts are everywhere. I suspect the A7 may be a much better camera than the M typ. 240, and will also actually be available for sale and for less than one-quarter the price.

The funny part is that I've been waiting over a year for my own LEICA M typ. 240, and it just arrived a day before this announcement. Sadly, it's just a loaner, but with the A7, I'll probably own a Sony A7 long before I can buy an M typ. 240. The LEICA M 240 is in such short supply it sells for more used over eBay than new."

It's not a good solution for A mount users.
You lose in body IS for one, you have to pick up an adaptor and the SLT one is expensive (and robs light) the other one will control aperture but won't AF with screw drive lenses
It also looks like the sensor is not very well suited to rangefinder glass as KR's tests show, no built in flash puts a downer on wireless flash control, no GPS either, weak battery life

It might sell ok but it's far from a revolution for most of us
ILC's have been selling very poorly in Europe, that's not likely to change much
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #311
Veteran Member

Sony make very durable TVs, my first compact was a 3mp Sony Cybershot I've got a Sony Camcorder, all still working fine, not that they get used any more, but that doesn't mean I'll ever buy a Sony DSLR...😉

12-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
EVERY Sony product I ever bought broke not to long after I purchased it.
I hope that the Sony sensor in your K5 is still functioning as well as mine!
12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yeah, and 3 revamped FA ltds is a much more complete lineup then the 5 currently existing Sony FE lenses. That is objective?
Well, in reality it will be the 3 FAs plus what Pentax will have at launch - 2 or 3 new lenses.

As someone already said, add the DA primes that work in the FF circle (35 AL, 40, 50 1.8, 55*, etc), plus the 50 1.4 which I think isn't discontinued, and the Tamron and Sigma stuff, and you have a competitive lineup from the get go.

Regarding Sony, I also had a period in the 90s that all I bought from them broke down quickly. Then I realized it was all stuff that was made in Mexico. I guess their Mexico operation had issues. Since then, I bought a premium Point and Shoot made in Japan by Sony about 9 years ago and it has served me flawlessly. I still dig that little camera (DSC-P200 7.2Mp), so much that when it broke down last year (my fault not Sony's) I got another one for 20 bucks

As much as I want an A7, I'll wait for what Pentax has in store, and when I want FF for now, I'll shoot film.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 12-31-2013 at 01:52 PM.
12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #314
Pentaxian

Don't forget the D FA 50 and 100 macro.
12-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Indeed. I don't think I have any "real" pictures here. I have one picture which I posted as an example of challenging light and 1500mm eq focal length, and someone looking to discredit me in a similar fashion used it as an example of how my opinions weren't valid.

I don't like the look of pictures uploaded here, didn't want to learn the process, and I don't want people to confuse monitor to monitor differences as my intent with a picture.

If someone would like to see my pictures I can send them some prints. Doesn't make my (or your) opinions valid or invalid.
Maybe that's because you don't set yourself up as a big deal and continue to hound someone after a PM request to back off and a second public request here a few months ago to leave me alone. Three strikes. I don't do internet bullies and will stand up for myself thanks all the same. If that means leaving this forum because folks here think that such behaviour is just, like, real cool 'twill be a pleasure to do so. Knocking off thousands of posts on a photography forum without producing a single photograph strikes me as a little odd but doing that and chasing other posters down in an aggressive and sarcastic fashion is something else. I won't stand for it. Nuff said.