Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If you do HDSLR video properly, you would...DSLRs are *not* camcorders or smartphones when it comes to video.
I'll be doing follow focus when I upgrade to the K-3...the older bodies just didn't have enough manual video control...
My only point is that everyone uses Canon for this stuff (if they are using DSLRs as opposed to even higher-end REDs or something), not Pentax. If you've got a matte box follow focus shoulder harness stabilized etc etc with a DLSR body in the center of it all for your web series or independent film or whatever, 99% chance it is a Canon...

12-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So? Is that not an excellent reason to releases such lenses ?
12-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
So? Is that not an excellent reason to releases such lenses ?
For Samyang? If they think the demand is there, or they think it is the lack of such lenses that is keeping people from shooting movies with Pentaxes. Is there evidence for either? I don't think so. First Pentax has to release a body that people are excited about shooting video with. But I only hear complaints about jello shutter and when will Pentax get serious about video?
12-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
For Samyang? If they think the demand is there, or they think it is the lack of such lenses that is keeping people from shooting movies with Pentaxes. Is there evidence for either? I don't think so. First Pentax has to release a body that people are excited about shooting video with. But I only hear complaints about jello shutter and when will Pentax get serious about video?
They're a lot more since K3. K3 actually is an OK video tool IMO and Samyang probably doesn't have to pay much more than a couple hundreds dollar to produce such lenses so why would they not ?

12-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
K3 actually is an OK video tool IMO
I'm glad someone seems to share my feeling...
12-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

If you've got a matte box follow focus shoulder harness stabilized etc etc with a DLSR body in the center of it all for your web series or independent film or whatever, 99% chance it is a Canon...
I don't dispute this at all, though I think the GH3 is far better than the Canon DSLRs unless you're using Magic Lantern's hack, just because the GH3 uses the entire sensor instead of line skipping to get 1080p.

I'm just glad Samyang is doing this because we've lost Tamron Pentax support. You could even argue that if you ever want to switch systems, the K mount Samyang lenses are the most flexible since you can get an adapter to mount it on Canon and Panasonic and even Sony's A7...
12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm not really in it myself anymore, but still have plenty of buddies from film school and excepting the ones working on major studio movie and TV stuff, but all the ones doing independent web series, film festival shorts, music videos, and independent features -- everything seems to be shot on Canon DSLRs these days. They probably don't know what a GH3 is. A few of the people that have been around a while (i.e. before DSLRs were viable and that have established work patterns for 10-20 years) insist on using REDs and consider the DSLR inferior, but all the 20-somethings are using Canon DSLRs. Just about all of them from what I see. Mostly for budget reasons -- they still salivate over "real cameras" (for filmmaking/video) and hope to graduate at some point...

But yes, it is good for us and hopefully good for Samyang, although I think they are mostly concerned with just being taken seriously at this point as a lens maker and so is just covering all bases rather than assuming they are going to make a ton on Pentax lenses...
12-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I am no expert on video but the Australian company Blackmagic Design has some cutting edge digital video cameras that are reasonably priced. Their new Pocket Cinema Camera is priced at $995. What serious videographer doesn't want one of these cameras to carry around. Even their pro series Cinema Camera is reasonably priced at $1,995 compared to FF DSLR alternatives. The Sony a7 looks nice to for video too.

On these new Samyang Cine lenses in K-mount how can we complain as Pentax users. With the release of the K-3 it looks like Samyang sees this as a sign they can sell these Cine lenses in K-mount. The K-3 has a lot to offer in features and even price point.

12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So is the K-3 a solid video machine or not? I've heard lots of complaints that it still has jello shutter, wrong kind of stabilization, etc, and when will Pentax get serious?
12-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So is the K-3 a solid video machine or not? I've heard lots of complaints that it still has jello shutter, wrong kind of stabilization, etc, and when will Pentax get serious?
Not sure if you are serious, but good videos were already possible with the K-01 and K-5, jello and all. And the K-3 apparently offers some more things. Now, when will Pentax get serious? I don't know, do they seem to be joking to you? Even though I do appreciate the concerns, for example about the video SR being digital instead of mechanical, I still think that the K-3 offers enough for most users, except maybe some with very specific needs. The problem is that complaints make it seem like its video function is utterly worthless, which its not. Its just not quite "as good" in all situations as, lets say the latest Canon 5D.
12-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Not sure if you are serious, but good videos were already possible with the K-01 and K-5, jello and all. And the K-3 apparently offers some more things. Now, when will Pentax get serious? I don't know, do they seem to be joking to you? Even though I do appreciate the concerns, for example about the video SR being digital instead of mechanical, I still think that the K-3 offers enough for most users, except maybe some with very specific needs. The problem is that complaints make it seem like its video function is utterly worthless, which its not. Its just not quite "as good" in all situations as, lets say the latest Canon 5D.
I'm not joking, and I don't shoot video -- just repeating what I hear. What I've heard is that while Pentax can make some decent video (people seem to favor the K-01), they have not gotten to the level yet where anybody "serious" would consider using one over a Canon. And at first it looked like the K-3 was going to be a serious video machine (with the still people complaining about all the video features), but when it actually came out all the video people seemed disappointed with no real progress being made.
12-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

What I've heard is that while Pentax can make some decent video (people seem to favor the K-01), they have not gotten to the level yet where anybody "serious" would consider using one over a Canon. And at first it looked like the K-3 was going to be a serious video machine (with the still people complaining about all the video features), but when it actually came out all the video people seemed disappointed with no real progress being made.
IMO the K3 matches what the canons can do. It's only because of the less than ideal SR that some people are making it sound like a joke for video. Just get over that... I like the codec. it responds pretty well to grading. It delivers much better than the K01. The handling is a joy. horizontal & vertical leveling, zebras, clear screen, peak focusing (yes, unfortunately not during record..) & headphone jack (not that i use it..)
For someone that has a bunch of pentax lenses around. this is it. A little late, but it is there and it is pretty good for anyone into video recording with a dslr.
12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
IMO the K3 matches what the canons can do. It's only because of the less than ideal SR that some people are making it sound like a joke for video. Just get over that... I like the codec. it responds pretty well to grading. It delivers much better than the K01. The handling is a joy. horizontal & vertical leveling, zebras, clear screen, peak focusing (yes, unfortunately not during record..) & headphone jack (not that i use it..)
For someone that has a bunch of pentax lenses around. this is it. A little late, but it is there and it is pretty good for anyone into video recording with a dslr.
Good to hear. Again, I have no dog in this fight, although maybe one of these days I'll decide to be a filmmaker again...
12-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

fyi, a short movie we shot two weeks ago with the K3. It's pretty absurd, so you'll like it or you won't... but it was quite an absurd assignment & everything had to be done in one day. Except for the grading, which i did this weekend. I tried to give it a "filmlike" appearance but I think someone more experienced will get more out of it. I used premiere pro to do so. The sound in the two last shots are onboard camera mic.

happy viewing :-)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/75-video-pentax-hdslrs/244233-test-video-...#ixzz2owcTDDlG

Ps: I wonder what one of these samyang cine lenses would look like. Do you think it would make a difference?
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #30

the devil is in the deatils

the chip is good, the SR is ok, the codec is adequate. the lenses are great but the problem is in the useability on a set.

The Pentaxs still have no FULL manual control in video modes, makes it hard to set up and start recording without having to jump thru exposure lock hoops and tweak during recording.
The Pentaxs cripple the HDMI output during recording and prevents sending the image to larger external monitors for focus and composition confirmation and send to the video village for the rest on the set to see.

"IMO the K3 matches what the canons can do. It's only because of the less than ideal SR that some people are making it sound like a joke for video."

"those are two really big deals to the guys who choose the canons for pro video work .... aside from the general canikon bias of the genral public."

Good to hear. Again, I have no dog in this fight, although maybe one of these days I'll decide to be a filmmaker again...