Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2013, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang cine lenses available now in K mount

QuoteQuote:
Samyang company announces the release of new V-DSLR cine lenses fitted with Pentax K bayonet mount. The producer's decision was triggered by the growing demand among users of Pentax reflex cameras who are more and more willing to use their cameras for video shooting purposes.

Released models include:

Samyang V-DSLR 8mm T3.8 Pentax CS II
Samyang V-DSLR 14mm T3.1 Pentax
Samyang V-DSLR 16mm T2,2 Pentax
Samyang V-DSLR 24mm T1.5 Pentax
Samyang V-DSLR 35mm T1.5 Pentax
Samyang V-DSLR 85mm T1.5 Pentax

Suggested retail prices for Samyang V-DSLR lenses with Pentax K mount will be equivalent to the prices for the remaining mounts.

Samyang cine lenses with Pentax K mount available now

(please delete if it has already been posted)

12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I initially wondered what made these lenses cine, but apparently it is because these lenses have racks for follow focus - do these lenses work well when used in still mode?
12-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Good news, even if this is for a rather specilalised use !
I guess in still mode the optical performances are not so good as those of "classical" primes.
12-23-2013, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I initially wondered what made these lenses cine, but apparently it is because these lenses have racks for follow focus
Stepless manual aperture control too.

12-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I found this explanation on the Samyang site, of what a cine lens is:

QuoteQuote:
V-DSLR lenses are a series of cine lenses. Cine models are equipped with a special mechanisms to make them rack compatible and allow use with the Follow Focus system. This allows smooth and accurate rotation of focusing ring and the aperture rings. Additionally, the aperture ring has no click stops for smooth and noiseless rotation. Brightness of V-DSLR lenses is shown by the T-number that determines the difference between the actual amount of light transmitted through the lens and the amount of light reaching to the sensor.
12-23-2013, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the further info - Samyang are really starting to look like a major player.
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

They appear to be their exact same lenses as the non-cine versions -- just with follow-focus and I'm guessing a clickless aperture. And rated in t-stops instead of f-stops (but just slightly higher than the f-stops of the normal versions so they appear to be just as fast)...

12-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought they only made manual focus lenses?
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They appear to be their exact same lenses as the non-cine versions -- just with follow-focus and I'm guessing a clickless aperture. And rated in t-stops instead of f-stops (but just slightly higher than the f-stops of the normal versions so they appear to be just as fast)...
Yep, thats what it is. Basically, lots of people used the Samyang lenses for video, because they were cheap, fast, and had good IQ. And MF isn't a big problem for video. There was so much demand Samyang started making cine versions with those changes that you listed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I thought they only made manual focus lenses?
Yes, but the cine lenses have "gears" (teeth?) on their focus ring so you can gear them up with other cine accessories. Google those things
12-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Still, can't see the Pentax lenses really taking off -- who is using follow-focus with Pentax video? Probably no one until someone buys one of these. If it still has an 'A' aperture setting so I could use it like normal lens, then the only difference would be the focus ring itself (for non-cine usage).
12-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Dan
Pentaxian

I really like the support that Samyang is providing for the K-mount. Samyang lenses tend to be very well made, and are a great bargain.

If you want to try out a "follow focus" system but don't want to spend a thousand dollars or more, here's a homemade kit that costs less than $10:

Camera Hacks: A Follow Focus Rig For a Few Bucks | TechHive

I like the basic concept of follow focus. If I shot video more often I would give it a try.

Dan
12-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Still, can't see the Pentax lenses really taking off -- who is using follow-focus with Pentax video?
You can do it with any of the old k manual lenses with long throws. A lot of canon and Panasonic users do this with Pentax lenses...
12-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The actual transmission should be the same. T-stops will, by definition, be higher than f-stops for all lenses. Some older cinema lenses actually list both t-stops and f-stops.
12-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can do it with any of the old k manual lenses with long throws. A lot of canon and Panasonic users do this with Pentax lenses...
Yes, but in that case to use on non-Pentax cameras and because those are the versions of the lenses available. For these, they'd just presumably buy the Canon versions. I should have said no one (more or less) is doing follow-focus with Pentax bodies...

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
The actual transmission should be the same. T-stops will, by definition, be higher than f-stops for all lenses. Some older cinema lenses actually list both t-stops and f-stops.
Yes, my point exactly. Same lenses.
12-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I should have said no one (more or less) is doing follow-focus with Pentax bodies....
If you do HDSLR video properly, you would...DSLRs are *not* camcorders or smartphones when it comes to video.
I'll be doing follow focus when I upgrade to the K-3...the older bodies just didn't have enough manual video control...