Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
The FA Limiteds only can be updated as HD version if they will have enough of the old glas in stock. Otherwise they will have to develop totally new constructions with new optical calculations. As far as I know they dont have enough of the old types of glass which are nessesary to update the FA Limited series.
Can they not just create new glass with the same specifications? Are there manufacturing techniques that make this difficult? (I'm admittedly ignorant on this process).

03-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But their explanation is far from coherent or intelligible. I often feel sorry for them, for they must speak utter nonsense in the lack of material proofs.
So what do you think it would be a good answer to:
QuoteQuote:
Question 12: Do you have plans to fill the big gap that exists between the DA* 300mm and DA 560mm lenses with another prime lens? What changes been made to the lens roadmap since last year?
You're not allowed to disclose anything about products in development that's not already known (i.e. on the public roadmap).

I'm curious if you'll accept this challenge, and do a much better job than them.
03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Can they not just create new glass with the same specifications? Are there manufacturing techniques that make this difficult? (I'm admittedly ignorant on this process).
Nor am I - but I've read bits of posts here and there suggesting there was lead in the glass formulation which the EU has prohinited, so that formulation is no longer made. Further, glass making and lens shaping and polishing was a comparatively people-intensive business. People are expensive and they eventually retire. At some point manufacturers of glass blanks replace people with new machines and, in the process, design glass formulations and blanks that are efficient for the new machines to produce.

If you think that is bad, wait 10 years when machine learning allows computers to replace knowlege workers. Jobs for support persons including junior analysts and designers will simply disappear.

It is coming and there isn't any way to avoid it.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.
03-04-2014, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #244
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
... just take a look on how to make optical lenses and you can imagine what complex work this is and how expensive good optical glas is:

03-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #245
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you think that is bad, wait 10 years when machine learning allows computers to replace knowlege workers. Jobs for support persons including junior analysts and designers will simply disappear.
I'm waiting for computers to replace programmers. Laughing, each time someone tells me it will happen "soon"
03-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm waiting for computers to replace programmers. Laughing, each time someone tells me it will happen "soon"
I recall Rapid Application Development in the early 90's. Write some capsules of database code and patch them together with a customized front end to make the application 'Custom Content' for the client.

Computers can do that instantaneously in response to a user's questionnaire responses.
03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Yeah, except that it didn't work. There are tools to make our lives easier, but that's it. There is no silver bullet.
My prediction: "soon", everything will be done by computers. Except programming the computers to do those tasks

(J/K, creative tasks in general I don't think they can be automatized).

03-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #248
Banned

The FA Limiteds only can be updated as HD version if they will have enough of the old glas in stock. Otherwise they will have to develop totally new constructions with new optical calculations. As far as I know they dont have enough of the old types of glass which are nessesary to update the FA Limited series.
That is true. It is unique combination of all factors that makes FA limitless unique but compliance to new manufacturing processes, change of aperture blades, coating, glass etc. will make it a totally different product. And we'll get an imitation of the past; not a retro camera design but a 'retro ' lens that has nothing to do with the experience we have had. Totally worthless imitation of life.
It will be better if they scrap the whole project and instead deliver three new primes for the crop sensor in desirable focal lengths which are missing.
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #249
Pentaxian

I can't believe the current FA Limited production relies on "old glass" only.
Moreover, if this "old lead" glass is forbidden in EU, imports of these lenses should have stopped for a long time.
This sound just storytelling.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 03-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
03-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #250
Pentaxian

That is true. It is unique combination of all factors that makes FA limitless unique but compliance to new manufacturing processes, change of aperture blades, coating, glass etc. will make it a totally different product. And we'll get an imitation of the past; not a retro camera design but a 'retro ' lens that has nothing to do with the experience we have had. Totally worthless imitation of life.
It will be better if they scrap the whole project and instead deliver three new primes for the crop sensor in desirable focal lengths which are missing.
Yes, if Pentax is forced to reconsider the optics of the FA Limiteds -- replacing the lead glass with other similarly refractive materials with slightly different dispersion characteristics, and tweaking the formula to accommodate that -- then you're right, we might end up with differently performing optics.

They might be better.
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
or worse...or just different
03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #252
Veteran Member

I'd be happy with the same + quickshift + WR. Unfortunately the 'HD' DA Limited's that were revamped aren't WR so... I doubt it.
03-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #253
Veteran Member

TC indeed fills in the gap in combination with DA300. But their explanation is far from coherent or intelligible. I often feel sorry for them, for they must speak utter nonsense in the lack of material proofs. I think they must hate that question — perhaps the only questions they hate same as the FF question and the gap between the $1,000 K-3 and $7,000 645D.
Their selections of words approved for release on public is the true "Limited" I guess, we'll see what's up their sleeves in the next few months, hopefully a glimpse at Photokina this year

135mm f1.8 or f2 please! or a 400 f4?

The FA Limiteds are still in production... so maybe they still have plenty of those glass...
03-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #254
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ogl, get out of this body !
QuoteQuote:
Totally worthless imitation of life.
really sound like Ogl

Uluru, you don't get it that this is childish and ridiculous?
03-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ogl, get out of this body !
really sound like Ogl
Now you're being very unfair to ogl, I can't remember he being that negative lately!