Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
I think the FA lims and the 1,4 / 50 were produced till the same end.
I saw the list for new stuff,NO FA lims with HD in sight.
Thanks.

03-11-2014, 04:36 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
The German Pentax employees say they arn't anymore in production. They only sell their stock. ... so we will see what the future says.
What the future says is clear: FA ltd's and FA 50 out of production and no replacements announced as yet.

Another observation: If those lenses have been out of production for over 2 years, and they still have new stock to sell, boy then those products sure move extremely slowly. Maybe that was the purpose of the big lens-price-hikes: making existing stock last!
03-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #318
Site Supporter

OK, let's close this thread :/
03-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
I saw the list for new stuff,NO FA lims with HD in sight.
Do you have any good signs to share from that list? We need it.

03-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Let us not try to find any sense in all this.
Spot the error in that photo!

(there is an SMC DA35 Macro where there should really have been a 35mm 2.4)
03-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
The FA Limiteds only can be updated as HD version if they will have enough of the old glas in stock. Otherwise they will have to develop totally new constructions with new optical calculations. As far as I know they dont have enough of the old types of glass which are nessesary to update the FA Limited series.
This makes it sound like they will eventually run out of FA glass and be forced to update the line. Is that what you are saying?
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe one individual thinks of himself as loyal, and a user, and a base customer, but the bulk of the Pentax base of buyers from a decade ago shoots something else now. I'd love to see a list of inactive UserID's of member who joined from 2006 - 2008 and who made 500 or1000 posts.
Add me to the list. I only dropped by because a friend told me about the new FA Limiteds and I figured I'd read about them. But is there anything exciting to read? A Limited 105mm? A Limited 28mm? New designs to reduce the horrible FA77 purple fringing? No. New red rings. A new coating.

Any person who has used Pentax for a decade or more has waited more than long enough for indication of direction and execution - and what they / we have gotten is nearly 15 years of false starts - since the MZ-1 - mistakes, bad management, poor products (the plastic part of the FA range) and utter financial mismanagement.
Yep. Anyone still with Pentax is doing so out of inertia or investment in a system. Pentax used to be a value proposition with smaller cameras, IBIS, and great "affordable" primes. Now lens prices are double, other brands have smaller units, and even stabilisation. The FA Limiteds are the gems in the Pentax lens range, but the company fired the designer and chose never to repeat their incredible rendering. Slow DA Limiteds is all. (They are decent lenses, don't get me wrong, but every brand has decent lenses.)

They won't even uncripple the mount for feck's sake. Even Nikon did that! And my 50/1.2 works better on my Olympus than on any Pentax camera.

Pentax will never be the Pentax we've all hoped it would remain. That company is gone and it will never return.
Indeed. A very sad waste of a brand and some good engineers.

Nikon and Canon won.
More so Olympus and Panasonic and Fuji. They all produce the small, effective, technologically advanced, and simply cool cameras Pentax should be making. But never will.
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #323
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Add me to the list. I only dropped by because a friend told me about the new FA Limiteds and I figured I'd read about them. But is there anything exciting to read? A Limited 105mm? A Limited 28mm? New designs to reduce the horrible FA77 purple fringing? No. New red rings. A new coating.

Yep. Anyone still with Pentax is doing so out of inertia or investment in a system. Pentax used to be a value proposition with smaller cameras, IBIS, and great "affordable" primes. Now lens prices are double, other brands have smaller units, and even stabilisation. The FA Limiteds are the gems in the Pentax lens range, but the company fired the designer and chose never to repeat their incredible rendering. Slow DA Limiteds is all. (They are decent lenses, don't get me wrong, but every brand has decent lenses.)

They won't even uncripple the mount for feck's sake. Even Nikon did that! And my 50/1.2 works better on my Olympus than on any Pentax camera.

Indeed. A very sad waste of a brand and some good engineers.

More so Olympus and Panasonic and Fuji. They all produce the small, effective, technologically advanced, and simply cool cameras Pentax should be making. But never will.
Robin - you clipped the lines from my post that support your frustration. You neglected to include that Ricoh is finally doing something new and consistent. We don't know whether remaking the past is possible, whether what Hoya allowed to wither and die - or willfully destroyed - can even be restored. But at least it appears they're moving in a planned direction.

The issue of course is - if all the loyal Pentax user base has moved on, why on earth should Ricoh bring back the old Pentax? Why shouldn't Ricoh make something for the group of customers they think they can attract and tell us all to take a hike?

How is all of this their fault?

03-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #324
Pentaxian

Are you complaining based on mere rumors? It's Pentax' fault for not making sure only wet-dreamy rumors floats around, right? They should get those engineers which are working on useless projects anyway and make them create nice rumors!

The Pentax people are dreaming about is either an illusion, or a shadow from the past; the Asahi Optical of old, or a company that could outdo companies X, Y and Z for half a price. But we have to face reality; we have Ricoh Imaging, recovering after Hoya, and they just won't do miracles.
We still have the brand and the engineers (not all of them, Hoya took care of that). The essence of Pentax is intact.

Neither Olympus, nor Panasonic or Fuji are making more effective, technologically advanced cameras. Sure, they're smaller and by the current standards "cooler". Even a cheap crappy viewfinderless smartphone-like camera (I'm thinking more Samsung here, though) are is cooler than the classic photographic tool which is a SLR. A SLR works, too, if you cripple it a bit and make it look retro.
How glad I am Pentax is not going "cool"!
03-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #325
Pentaxian

The issue of course is - if all the loyal Pentax user base has moved on, why on earth should Ricoh bring back the old Pentax? Why shouldn't Ricoh make something for the group of customers they think they can attract and tell us all to take a hike?

How is all of this their fault?
+1 that the current situation is not Ricoh's fault. I think there's still a loyal base but it's dwindled due to Pentax' prior corporate masters. There are not enough loyalists left to support a full camera line. Ricoh's best success would come if they can somehow keep the current base while attracting new customers.

I keep wondering why Ricoh bought Pentax. Was it for patents, factory infrastructure, or something else? Maybe Pentax is big enough outside the USA to buy for the customer base. I know if wasn't for the wonderful USA dealer and support network. The answer doesn't really matter to me as long as Ricoh can continue releasing competitive equipment and fix the things that withered under Hoya.
03-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #326
Pentaxian

They don't need loyalists, they need customers
I'm a bit of both, though my loyalty is in liking the products they're making (enough that I wouldn't easily migrate to another manufacturer). In an ideal world I'd be able to buy in countless systems, but Pentax would be one of them... well, two or three actually

I'd guess Ricoh bought Pentax for 2 reasons:
+ technologies they could use in B2B areas (e.g. factory automation)
+ to turn around their own camera division, and start being serious about it.
03-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #327
Veteran Member

Ugh. I guess this means I gotta save up big-time to get an FA31 and FA43, if what's being said here is true. And yeah if it's true, then maybe this thread should be closed.

The FA Limited's are now truly LIMITED. Skyrocketing prices here we go...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indees, gone are the three FA Limited lenses
pardon for asking but where did you get this image? Thanks

Last edited by Alizarine; 03-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.
03-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #328
Banned

Aperture rings are fun to some degree, but not really necessary if the electronic aperture control is well implemented and really quick like in modern Pentax cameras.
Life goes on. FA Limiteds were wonderful, but there is more to future camera systems than repeatedly imitate the past.
I think the point Pentax engineers are following is to take best general ideas from the past, and then build on them with up to date implementation.
03-12-2014, 01:14 AM   #329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
(...)
pardon for asking but where did you get this image? Thanks
No need for apologising . It's from Yvon Bourque's blog:

PENTAX DSLRs: Ricoh / Pentax Lernses
03-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #330
Inactive Account

If they update them, a nice upgrade would be to make the hoods so that they can be extended to the maximum size that accommodates APS-C. Maybe spinning the hood around 180 degrees determines whether the max extension is to FF or APS-C.