Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So only a cosmetic change, like with the hd da limiteds? What a joke! They need to put in dc to justify the high price these days...
I agree. I don't know about the reability of the source but IF someone asked me before reading this thread I would guess that the updated FA ltds would include QS, WR, DC while not having a aperture ring. For me, these lenses would represent the best Pentax can do regarding lenses.

12-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Probably relabeled as D FA Ltd, aren't all of the D FA lenses relaunches that are optically identical to FA series lenses.

These HD coating relaunches feel like things that they probably had in the lab since they developed the HD coating. It might also be an economies of scale thing where it makes more sense to coat everything with the HD process/products instead of the SMC products. They get to charge more for them to boot. Win-win for Ricoh and win-lose for consumers.

The products they should be fast tracking a relaunch on are the DA* zooms. People didn't trust them because of SDM issues but if they relaunched them, the trust thing would be out the way. They could also consider launching them with DC instead of SDM since it seems to be more trustworthy and it doesn't have input lag.
12-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I agree. I don't know about the reability of the source but IF someone asked me before reading this thread I would guess that the updated FA ltds would include QS, WR, DC while not having a aperture ring. For me, these lenses would represent the best Pentax can do regarding lenses.
For some reason Pentax users think inside the current trends of the DA lenses and K-numbered cameras development, or, inside the frame of what other manufacturers are doing.
I suggest to leave that all aside for a few moments, and think otherwise.

Last edited by Uluru; 12-25-2013 at 02:54 PM.
12-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I believe that new FA ltds that included QS, WR and DC drive would be total redesigns which would be very expensive and likely optically different than the current somewhat over priced FA lenses. Maybe this will happen but they will for sure cost more.

12-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I have been eyeing the 31mm for some time now... In fact I might dive in and get the 3 FA's... I hope they don't screw it up, oh, and I won't pay MAP pricing no matter what.
12-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

This doesn't surprise me, if true. The pattern that I've seen Ricoh establish is modest updates to existing product while major new items are in development. K-5II(s) -> K-3. HD Limiteds -> HD Limited 20-40mm zoom.

Releasing the FA Limiteds with the supposedly superior and more economical HD coating without changing anything else seems like common sense, if the production can just be integrated into current processes. Meanwhile, who knows what they are working on behind the scenes? New FA Ltds, with no PF, QS, DC motors??? Who knows. I just think that if they're going to change anything more major than a coating, Ricoh will be redesigning the lens from the ground up.

So I see this as an inexpensive way for Ricoh to increase interest in (and profit from) the FA Ltd line, while they work on things behind the scenes.

Time will see if this is right, or if I'm just one more internet voice blowing smoke out of you know where...
12-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I don't think the aperture rings will be removed. Retro is very much in fashion, just look at the Fuji X line and the Nikon Df, and manual controls are being brought back.

12-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see any tea leaves to read here. Ricoh has just decided to (a) maximize new cycle by periodically releasing "new products," even if they are updates of existing products and (b) making the most of the R and D put into the HD lens coating. I imagine they will raise prices some with this, although the FA limiteds are priced high enough already I doubt it will be a huge bump and may end up falling down to current FA limited prices once they fail to sell many.
12-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the FA series still has the A setting on the lens aperture, so no point removing the ring imo.
12-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Please read the first message again , it's not a redesign just updated cosmetic and coating.
12-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have been eyeing the 31mm for some time now... In fact I might dive in and get the 3 FA's... I hope they don't screw it up, oh, and I won't pay MAP pricing no matter what.
So if you won't pay MAP prices does that mean that you will wait till Black Friday 2014?
12-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Ricoh just wants to get their name on the products and is doing the bare minimum to "revamp" the line-up. I was hoping they would take the opportunity to make some real improvements to the older lenses.
12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #43
Pentaxian

If that's all they want, why aren't they putting their name on the products? Why are they still labeling the lenses "Pentax", and what's with that prominent Pentax on the K-3's pentaprism housing?
Did they forgot about it?
12-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Ricoh just wants to get their name on the products and is doing the bare minimum to "revamp" the line-up. I was hoping they would take the opportunity to make some real improvements to the older lenses.
Out of curiosity, what improvements would you make to the FA Limiteds?
12-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The usual...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Out of curiosity, what improvements would you make to the FA Limiteds?
1) Weatherproofing
2) Onboard focussing motors
3) Silver and Black always available
4) Bring out a camera to match!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Cheers,
Cameron