Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

I'm not ANTI weather sealing on Limiteds, but to me that's not a core part of what a Limited is. I'll be the first to say that I was surprised that the DA Limited Zoom came out WR. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not take my jewel of a lens out into the rain and mud, WR or not! That's what the all-weather, sturdy * lenses are for, right?! I like the idea of cheap WR kit zooms for Pentax too, so maybe this is just a quirk of my own taste.

12-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #62
Veteran Member

My FA Limited plan is to score LNIB versions that were MIJ. These spring up from time to time and generally cost less than new MIV versions.

This plan is part of my personal protest against Pentax for raising prices without adding value.

I guess we're looking at $1,500+ for an HD coated FA 31. No freakin' thanks.
12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Originally posted by Winder
1) Weather seals
2) Newer AF motors (faster/quieter/more accurate)
3) Less CA. It is easy to correct in post, but I would rather not have to
4) Less distortion on the small APS-C sensor. Yes, easy to correct in post, but I shouldn't have to with a $1,000 lens.
5) Sharper at wider apertures

They can make it as such if you are willing to pay $2,500 for it. Will you?
But everyone wants pre-map prices for an item than on every other respectable manufacturer's shelf would cost as 4X as much.
No so. Such lenses are already available in the form of the Nikon G series. The FA Limiteds don't have to increase much more in price before they start getting quite close to the price of Nikon's newly designed, top-of-the-line professional prime lenses which come with all the trimmings Winder mentions except for SR, I imagine. I'd wager that Canon have a pretty similar line-up. Of course some folks will still prefer Pentax for good reasons, finding that they draw an image far more to that person's taste or are valued for their relative compactness for example, but these days their lenses are priced right up there in some cases, nearly so in others.

1.5x might be more like it, perhaps less than that if new HD FA Limiteds are issued with higher prices though that isn't known, I guess. If you then allow for features like those mentioned which the FA Limiteds don't have, parity may be surprisingly close unless prices are held or reduced.

Last edited by mecrox; 12-26-2013 at 05:50 PM.
12-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, if the FA Limited refresh will be like the DA Limited refresh: red stripe, HD coating, rounded blades, price increase, then the refresh will be pretty underwhelming. In fact the change may make the SMC MIJ limiteds more desirable (esp. if the aperture ring and lens alignment mark also disappear).

12-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #65
Veteran Member

For what it's worth: MIJ and MIV versions should have identical image quality. My preference for MIJ is slightly better resale and added value for the money.
12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
So if you won't pay MAP prices does that mean that you will wait till Black Friday 2014?
I will get used ones, or wait patiently. I don't need the lenses.

If I get too much hassle it might just open my eyes to other options. As of right now I have a pretty good spectrum of lenses...and I realize one important thing... my lenses that I DO have right now are sufficient... the thing lacking in my photographs is ME and MY skill.

Back in the 1970's people were taking absolutely amazing photos with what we consider rudimentary tools...gear matters...but only some. The rest...it's on me.
12-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
...gear matters...but only some. The rest...it's on me.

Very well said. Sometimes I think people forget that cam gear are tools in which to express oneself artistically.

12-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I sort of feel like that, at this point in time, it will be best not to buy, add, or augment anything until the new direction is revealed.
12-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #69

This is the news I've been waiting for the past 10 years.
12-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
I sort of feel like that, at this point in time, it will be best not to buy, add, or augment anything until the new direction is revealed.
I think the new direction will be revealed to each of us gradually, individually, over time. It will be a realization that Pentax is and intends to be different - an alternative. It will be demonstrated in a recognizable image character - the color profile, something done with SR technology, programming for the lenses - something unique and patentable.

I don't think there will be any grand declaration. Rather there will be an accumulation of small inputs, iterated over time, talked about and repeated - what we refer to as the Limited Pixie-Dust writ larger to the entire brand.

Some will choose Pentax exclusively for its ethos; some will choose a small kit for a specific purpose and only for that purpose; many will reject and criticize Pentax for its decisions, and for their uses they will likely be justified (for instance, I do not believe Pentax will ever be a valid choice for a traveling professional Sports/Action photographer and likely never for a Global Reportage photographer).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pentax make inroads in Wedding/Portraiture, Birding, Landscape, Street and all-around Enthusiast/Discerning market niches.

JMO. The next few years will be fun around here.
12-26-2013, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Very well said. Sometimes I think people forget that cam gear are tools in which to express oneself artistically.

"Synthetic paint brushes are better than horse hair and camel hair is better than both. I am rabid about using camel hair brushes...it's all I use"~~ Vincent Van Gogh

The truth is he could shave the back end of Lassie and tape the hair to a stick and paint better with that than all of us regardless of what we use.
12-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #72

Do you think Van Gogh would paint better with Lassie's hair stick or with a camel hair brush?
12-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrightside Quote
Do you think Van Gogh would paint better with Lassie's hair stick or with a camel hair brush?
Only if it was a Japanese pooch and a Vietnamese camel.
12-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #74
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
"Synthetic paint brushes are better than horse hair and camel hair is better than both. I am rabid about using camel hair brushes...it's all I use"~~ Vincent Van Gogh

The truth is he could shave the back end of Lassie and tape the hair to a stick and paint better with that than all of us regardless of what we use.
There was no synthetic brushes in Van Gogh's time.
12-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
See, I would rather keep screw drive. Even with good in lens focus motors, durability will be better with screw drive than with the other. And I don't really care about the noise.
+1! If I decide to buy one of the FA limiteds, I would expect it to work for the rest of my life, not just a few years until the motor is gone.